NGD (early 80’s Ibanez Artist material)

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Andrew Wasson, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

They still come up from time to time so odds are you can still go down Ibanez memory lane. There is a mint condition early 80’s AR100 in that arctic white for sale locally here. They’re asking $1,300 Canadian which is around $990 US. It’s got the coil tap pull pots on it and I’ve never seen an old guitar in such mint condition. I’ve got the exact same guitar but mine looks like it’s 39 years old. It’s got that humbucker in your face, solid body sound that sometimes just fits the spot.

2. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Beautiful- hngd!!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. oyobass

oyobass Strat-Talk Member

I had always wanted a 80s Artist model, but lost patience looking for one at a price I could afford. I ended up getting the JSM10 John Scofield model. It is a very well made Chinese copy of an AS200.
    On the plus side: Meticulous workmanship- beautifully done fret ends, a neck that plays like butter with almost zero relief. I really like the new Super 58 pickups compared to the older ones in my '84 RS1010. Bright and classic rock aggressive vs. the mellow mud from the RS. I kind of wish both pickups had a tri-sound coil switch, but just having the one on the neck PU gives a lot of tonal variety.

The few negatives: I would prefer Sure Grip knobs to the plain speed knobs it came with, but I refuse to pay the ridiculously high price for the new or vintage Sure Grips. It is a fairly heavy guitar, but tolerable with a wide strap. It has little of the expected resonance of a semi-hollow, but that turns out to be a good thing when playing in front of a cranked amp. Nitpicking here, but Ibanez substituted acrylic mother-of-toilet-seat for the original's mother-of-pearl neck and headstock inlays, but still has real abalone accents in the center of the block inlays.

Bottom line: I would buy this again, but I would've considered the functional Ibanez equivalents that go for less money too, if they didn't have that IMHO goofy looking big headstock compared to the JSM.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. space

space Strat-O-Master

the preamp model would probably be the 2622 and the regular would have been the 2619
    127.JPG
    2622 are the 3 on the right end 1 on the left end (and 1 on the floor)
    2619 is 3rd from the left

Deafsoundguy, CB91710 and rockon1 like this.
  5. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Ok, you win... That is outstanding. I love the Artist lineup. This is all I got to work with and the black one is just with me until I finish repairing it for a buddy.

9B35CB3D-A797-4980-8A2B-ED10244B061B.jpeg

space and CB91710 like this.
  6. space

space Strat-O-Master

Beauties
    Ibbys of the 70's and 80's were hard to top
    Heres a couple of my semi/hollows
    143.JPG 297.JPG 278.JPG 558.JPG 627.JPG 517.JPG

oyobass and Andrew Wasson like this.