NGD: Fender Japan E Series - Lake Placid Blue

God of Thunder

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Here's another one of these "I spent more than I should have...probably". This popped up on Guitar Center, which I personally really enjoy due to the return policy. I can bring in a bunch of instruments and return the ones I don't like.

However today, I got this E series Lake Placid Blue Japan Strat today - and I am quite fond of it. Like anything though, I want to make sure it's all good - and not incredibly overpriced! Take a peek at some of these photos and let me know what you think!? I know its an ST-362V but am very excited to learn more about it!

ncQXFy7h.jpg

htuaXuth.jpg

mgeJHEQh.jpg

With my wife's 1991 Am. Standard!
XGUHODuh.jpg

4QsCq9mh.jpg

gtdfB72h.jpg

a3Z6hJQh.jpg

pcrkXEoh.jpg

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Here's another one of these "I spent more than I should have...probably". This popped up on Guitar Center, which I personally really enjoy due to the return policy. I can bring in a bunch of instruments and return the ones I don't like.

However today, I got this E series Lake Placid Blue Japan Strat today - and I am quite fond of it. Like anything though, I want to make sure it's all good - and not incredibly overpriced! Take a peek at some of these photos and let me know what you think!?

ncQXFy7h.jpg

htuaXuth.jpg

mgeJHEQh.jpg

With my wife's 1991 Am. Standard!
XGUHODuh.jpg

4QsCq9mh.jpg

gtdfB72h.jpg

a3Z6hJQh.jpg

pcrkXEoh.jpg

Hey! I have absorbed a lot of knowledge on these over the years....it's in beautiful shape!

This is an ST-362 Fender Standard Strat. What I'm afraid of is Guitar Center's price. These don't normally sell for over $500-550 US, before COVID hit and all those prices rose, this was like a $400-450 guitar. It's a great guitar, the quality is top notch. Basswood body and ceramic pickups, everything looks 100% stock. 7.25" fretboard radius, small vintage frets, Gotoh tuners.....

KNOWING Guitar Center, it was probably priced at $700-800

Last edited:

God of Thunder

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Hey! I have absorbed a lot of knowledge on these over the years....it's in beautiful shape!

This is an ST-362 Fender Standard Strat. What I'm afraid of is Guitar Center's price. These don't normally sell for over $500-550 US, before COVID hit and all those prices rose, this was like a $400-450 guitar. It's a great guitar, the quality is top notch. Basswood body and ceramic pickups, everything looks 100% stock. 7.25" fretboard radius, small vintage frets, Gotoh tuners.....

KNOWING Guitar Center, it was probably priced at $700-800

oh it was more than that! It was $1100 plus tax. But damn - the color and condition might get me. I haven’t seen many Lake Placid Blue. I want a nice Japan strat so badly though!

archetype

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
ST-362V. Ok, what's the "V" designate? A V-profile neck? V for victory?

It's a dang shame that Fender Japan and its vendors didn't see any value in better documentation of what they sold.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
The nice thing about the MIJ stuff is that it easily rivals the quality of more expensive instruments, so even if you "overpaid", you're getting a guitar that is as good as an American Strat that would likely cost a lot more. I had a '96 MIJ ST362 a few years ago. It was a really good guitar.

Love that color.
BTW, it seems odd that a '62 style guitar would have a single ply 8 hole pickguard. Is that original to the guitar? I don't know about all the MIJ models, but moral a 60's type would have a 3 ply 11 hole guard...

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
The nice thing about the MIJ stuff is that it easily rivals the quality of more expensive instruments, so even if you "overpaid", you're getting a guitar that is as good as an American Strat that would likely cost a lot more. I had a '96 MIJ ST362 a few years ago. It was a really good guitar.

I don't know, I'm sure you could pick up a MIA Strat for $1100 or even less and it would have alnico pickups and an alder body.

Plenty to choose from.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
oh it was more than that! It was $1100 plus tax. But damn - the color and condition might get me. I haven’t seen many Lake Placid Blue. I want a nice Japan strat so badly though!

It's not worth ANYWHERE near that, NO precedent has ever set that high before, return it! You'd never get more than like 600-650 for it when selling it....ever.....for THAT price you can almost get a used vintage re-issue made in USA....

WE can find you a MUCH better deal if you're patient and willing to wait 1-2 months or so for it.....trust me, I can find you a HIGHER end 'reissue' 57 or 62 Fender Japan with alder body and Alnico pickups for LESS than $800-900 shipped.....YES SIR!

Kester

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 17, 2012
Halesowen, England
I've got two other strats, all new strats for me are an "emotional purchase" - but even this one might not make the cut. I don't mind overpaying for "the" guitar, but paying a lot over is hard to swallow.

If it's a guitar that you like but don't love, then it's not worth it. But if it's a guitar that is one of those that is something special, that you aren't going to sell, then it's worth it if you think it is.

I've owned 7 57' AVRI Strats. But the one I've still got, and have owned for 20 years is the best, the neck is perfect. If for some reason I had to replace that guitar and I could find one exactly the same as mine I'd over-pay - because for me it would be worth it.

God of Thunder

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
It's not worth ANYWHERE near that, NO precedent has ever set that high before, return it! You'd never get more than like 600-650 for it when selling it....ever.....for THAT price you can almost get a used vintage re-issue made in USA....

WE can find you a MUCH better deal if you're patient and willing to wait 1-2 months or so for it.....trust me, I can find you a HIGHER end 'reissue' 57 or 62 Fender Japan with alder body and Alnico pickups for LESS than $800-900 shipped.....YES SIR!

hey. I will not complain about that at all!