[NGD] Fender Japan Strat 57

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by slianto, Jan 25, 2012.

1. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

The pole pieces on mine are staggered pretty close to that. Mine is a 91 MIJ though.

2. slianto

slianto Strat-Talk Member

the pole pieces neck pu same as mine?LOL.
    is it happened on MIJ/CIJ only or what?
    because i usually found the pole pieces is the same configuration between neck/mid/bridge..
    that's why i found it strange..but it doesn't matter if it's sounds good.

Can't wait to try it out! Tomorrow i'll buy a new strings!
    any recommendation?

3. blasphemoustrat

Yeah, I never really noticed that mine were a different, or that tthey were not supposed to be at any rate. Its not quite as drastic as yours, but that high E pole stands taller than the middle pickup one. I use 9-46 on mine, mostly because the neck feeling so chunky with the v profile felt like it was taking away some of my hand strength.

4. slianto

I'm affraid that the neck high E will sound louder...

Anyway, Is mine alder?i'm not pretty sure about this...
    and is it possible to change the pickup with the current wire?i mean without using the new one, but using the current wire.
    if this possible then i have no idea about the pickup, from what i found on the web.. the cloth wire and red circular sticker said it's texas.

5. blasphemoustrat

You can off set it a little by lowering the pickup on that side if you feel like you need to. I honestly don't even know what mine is made of. Being that mine is something like14 years older than yours and is an st54, they very well could be different materials. But they sure look similar. I don't have a good close up photo of mine, or any pictures of it with the pick guard off. But here is a far away picture.

[​IMG]

6. slianto

oh that's a sweet strat! and u keeping it in superb condition!
    And your ST54 of 14years ago is the big sister of my strat :D

Btw i've tried my strat today, and it's sounds pretty good to me!

7. slianto

anyway this is my first electric guitar so i'm pretty newbie here and i don't know how to describe it, but i'm curious about something...

Okay this is the problem when i plug-in the guitar in the compo, (i haven't got my amp yet) when i strum\pick it, it's okay, but when i didn't do anything / idle, it make some noise like 'ngggggggggg', the noise is greatly decreased when i hold the strings with my hand,or decrease the volume (the noise is gone when the volume is off, so there's no problem with my compo i guess). so the noise if up when it's idle, when i hold the strings it's gone, i take my hand off the strings it's making the noise again, i strum/pick then the noise is gone again..

Sorry for my dummy question, but is this normal?or there's something wrong with my pickup?it's a bit rusty through.. do i need to clean it?

8. blasphemoustrat

That is called 60cycle hum, and almost all stratocasters do it. That is the "hum" that "buckers" are bucking. No worries. It can be reduced by putting shielding in the control cavity, and positions 2-4 should he hum free (or close to it). It's one of the things that just kinda comes with playing a strat. The sound diminishing when you touch the strings is because when you touch them you are acting as the ground. Also normal. Most guitars, even ones with humbuckers, do this. They do make pickups that don't hum, but most people seem to think that they don't sound as good as traditional pickups.

9. slianto

thanks blasphemoustrat,
    that's make sense. single coil vs humbuckers. lol.

does the shielding reduce the hum much?

and i've just realize one more thing, when i plug the jack on my boombox (just plug the cable/jack into the boombox,haven't plug the guitar yet) then the noise/hum appear...i plug off then it's dissapear, i plug again then the hum/noise reappear again, that's still happen when i plug the jack into the guitar. but when i turn-off the guitar's volume the hum/noise's gone.

That's a new jack/cable...is there a problem with the jack cable?

10. bowtiefanatc

bowtiefanatc Strat-Talker

Gorgeous! Absolutely love those Japanese Strats!

11. blasphemoustrat

The hum when the cable isn't plugged into the guitar yet is the result of the cable being completely ungrounded when it's not plugged in. If you touch the tip of the cable the hum should either stop or become less. I'm sure that your cable is fine. That is also pretty standard.

A far as shielding, I've had strats with tons of shielding and strats with little to no shielding, and I personally don't see a very big difference. Some people swear by it through. I think if you aren't picking up any radio stations or anything that you are probably fine as far as shielding is concerned.

12. slianto

Hi again, I realize something now.

when i plug the guitar in the amp there's a noise/ hum and this is a loud one.
    the noise/hum is gone when i touch the metal on the guitar, bridge,string,switch screw, spring claw,or jack metal....i believe this is about grounding.

but after sometime i play the guitar for a 10 mins or more, i dont know why, but the noise/hum is completely gone (without touch the metal parts), when i change the switch on position 1,2,3 is clean no noise/hum, but on 4 very bit noise, and position 5 still loud noise...
    and after some time i play it again, sometime the noise/hum is come back on all position, and sometime it's gone again (except on the bridge,position 4 or 5)..

something wrong with the wiring?any ideas?

13. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

sounds like you may have a bad ground on your neck pickup.If it is there some times, and not there other times, it could be a loose or broken wire. I would check all the solder joints to make sure it all at least looks good for a start. If it all looks good, you might try wiggling the wires a little to check that they are solidly soldered.
    Im sure others with more knowledge will jump in.
    Good luck...Its a beautiful guitar.

14. ChetManly

ChetManly Strat-Talker

Very nice MIJ guitar sir.

15. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

So many nice Strats being posted recently!

16. slianto

thanks all. i love this strat as well :D

Well after a few days playing it again, i found the trigger that caused the noise/hum.
    let me give the specific info:

1. On all switch position, The noise is loud when i turn the volume about 3-5, louder at 6-8, but NO-NOISE at volume 9-10 (all tone neck and mid position is 0-1).
    2. Switch position 1, vol 9-10, neck tone 0-1 : no-noise, but when i increase the neck tone, the noise is increasing too.
    3. Switch position 2, vol 9-10 no-noise, if i increase neck tone/mid tone alone to 10 still no noise,but if i increase them both, there's a noise too.
    4. Switch position 3, vol 9-10 no-noise. if i increase mid tone the noise is increasing too.
    5. Switch position 4, vol 9-10 no-noise, if i increase mid tone the noise is increasing too.
    6. Switch position 5, NOISE. even on vol 9-10. still a loud noise. maybe the loudest one.

Oh and the noise is a bit reduced when i touch the metal part (bridge,strings,switch's screw,spring claw,jack,output) when my foot touch the floor, it reduced greatly.

Any ideas what happened to the electronic?
    do i need to do the re-wiring or change all the electronic (pots and switch)?
    thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012