Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD: Firefly FFLP Trampas Green

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Fuggle, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

Arrived yesterday! Mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, bone nut. The fit and finish are flawless, the fret ends are smooth as can be. The neck is awesome. My only minor gripe is that they forgot the switch tip, but that's okay. Delivered to my door for only $179! :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GuitarPix, Deathray, rockon1 and 5 others like this.
  2. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

The prices on those are crazy. Looks really nice!

I bought one of their double cut jr. type in the tv yellow $130. Full size pots, orange drop cap, nice thick neck. I'm assuming yours has those same parts?

I immediately put on a tusq nut because I like to tinker, but the original looked like bone and was decently cut, probably needed to be deeper to intonate correctly at the first few frets. To be completely honest though I haven't played it once since then. They are apparently available again, but when I bought it (at like 3AM as an impulse buy) there were 5 left and were unavailable when I woke up the next morning. The neck joint looks super bulky on the double cut, and it is, but it doesn't feel too bad in person since Im used to a strat. A strat neck starts to contour for the joint around the 14th-15th fret or so? By the time you are on the 16th-17th fret you have the full thickness of the body. On this that full size neck on its way to the joint is around the 17th or 18th fret, and finally joins with the body at the 22nd fret.
    [​IMG]

edit: but mine looks like a cheap guitar, yours does not. haha

one more edit: I stopped keeping up with these as soon as I got mine and everything was in good condition (about 2-3 days of reading about them on forums). Are they no longer having problems like putting frets in the wrong spots, rotten wood, etc?

3. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

I haven't cracked it open yet, but the neck isn't chunky. Feels similar to a slim taper.
    They got the fret spacing issue worked out (that was on the 338 semi-hollow). It seems each build contains improvements over the previous batch.

snoopdoug likes this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's amazing that these things have full size pots and orange drop caps for these prices.

snoopdoug and Fuggle like this.
  5. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

As the owner of a Grote, I'm a fan of these amazing and cheap Chinese copies. However, once you've had one a week or so you start to notice flaws. That said, I have to add that the top and the back of your Firefly look better than most of the Gibsons I see on the wall at guitar stores.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-Talker

Amazing! Is that back one piece? Cant see the seams.

snoopdoug likes this.
  7. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

Thanks! I just dropped it off at the luthier's for a setup. A couple of high frets need sanding down and the nut slots need just a touch of attention, but it's all good!

snoopdoug likes this.
  8. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

I think the top is because it’s a veneer and not a 1/2” of whatever solid piece. I think it is glued to a solid piece but their website doesn’t say how thick. I don’t think Gibson does any veneers but I could be way off on that. The body does look really nice though, I like how it’s curly, almost like koa. Even looks like it has some really wide figuring.

Fuggle likes this.
  9. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

Naaah, it’s a two piece with a laminate back.

rockon1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.