NGD-FSR Player; Ebony Board

Theron

Strat-O-Master
Nov 16, 2017
Indiana
Rest easy friends, I actually canceled my order for the plastics :) I'm keeping it black on black...the most I'd do is white plastics on the black pickguard, but now right now.
I am putting the ClassicGears on, as well as Graphtech saddles though.

davidrf

Strat-O-Master
Dec 27, 2010
Italy
HNGD! I think that guitar would shine with white pickup covers and knobs... something like this:

20191119_174234.jpg

Theron

Strat-O-Master
Nov 16, 2017
Indiana
Where did you find that picture?? Back when the Players were very first released, I had the red one, with black guard, white covers, Graphtech saddles, AND the hotrail...like this looks exactly like my old one!!

HNGD! I think that guitar would shine with white pickup covers and knobs... something like this:

20191119_174234.jpg

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
I found myself down to 1 guitar (the black & yellow EVH Striped that I just got), and figured I needed at least one guitar with a neck pickup!
I dug out my least used amp and traded it for this beauty!
It's an FSR Player Series Ferrari Red with Ebony fretboard!
I set it up with the new Daddario XS 9's (my new favorites) and man does it feel nice!

I'm not dead set on the black-on-black pickguard and cover, but we'll see if it grows on me.

View attachment 560582 View attachment 560583 View attachment 560584
ebony is very deep brown in life and on your images. mixing dark brown and black is an aesthetic faux pas.
what a red, though! lush...

Sureshot33

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2018
MA
ebony is very deep brown in life and on your images. mixing dark brown and black is an aesthetic faux pas.
what a red, though! lush...
It's a classic combo.
Are you saying an ebony board and black on a guitar isn't aesthetically appealing??
Lol

davidrf

Strat-O-Master
Dec 27, 2010
Italy
Where did you find that picture?? Back when the Players were very first released, I had the red one, with black guard, white covers, Graphtech saddles, AND the hotrail...like this looks exactly like my old one!!
Don't know, I just googled :D I don't remember the source.

afireinside

Strat-Talker
Mar 2, 2013
Michigan
Look pretty cool but $900 on sale or $950 normally after tax for a MIM......

I dont feel bad paying $1300 shipped for a mint 2020 Sweetwater Roasted neck am pro w 69 CS pickups, case,candy (Gc used pics, it shows up today hopefully)

Man these prices.......

Screenshot_20220428-161341.jpg Screenshot_20220428-161348.jpg

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
That looks great! I'd leave the black plastics on there, they go really well with the Ferrari red. Very modern and classy. Mint and aged white are nice, but they pull in a different direction aesthetically. Just my two cents, cash value even lower!

EDIT: Should've read all the posts before adding unsolicited advice...

Kdawg1966

Strat-Talker
Jan 10, 2018
Over Here
Your SRV has much better PF on it than anything on the Player Series....as do those high end basses you mentioned.
The color variance on the PF they use on Players is ridiculous. I've seen orange, brown, red, streaky, pale...I've personally seen numerous Player Strats with PF that is so light it looks like maple.
For (now) almost $900USD, customers deserve more consistency.

The best neck I've had, excluding my Ultra Luxe FR, has been my PF Player Strat. Nicest playing neck compared to all 6 of my US Strats. It is slightly lighter than my rosewood fretboards but is very uniform and nice looking. I can't tell a difference under my fingers. I never thought of it as inferior - actually quite the opposite.

As far as the color variance out there, I wouldn't buy one I didn't like the look of but sometimes it's nice to have something that looks a little different that the others. As long as it feels good under my fingers, there's a very good chance I'd be happy - except for an orange looking one. I wouldn't be able to get past that.

Back to the OP: Love the look of your guitar. Great color combo. I love ebony boards. Congrats and enjoy.

jpjr50

Strat-O-Master
Jun 3, 2016
Florida
Strats looks so good with dark fretboards in my opinion. Mine (2012 HSS) has really dark rosewood before the Pau boards became the norm.

Yours looks fantastic with the ebony!!!!

Mind Flayer

Strat-O-Master
Feb 29, 2012
Chicagoland
I’ve seen a few of these at guitar center recently. I’m not a huge fan of the body colors personally, but those necks look really good. They would look great on a natural burst, surf/seafoam green, or olympic white, and probably a bunch of other more traditional colors.