NGD: G&L ASAT Classic Semi Hollow

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Stratoskater, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Got this for $350 off CL Thanksgiving night:

[​IMG]

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Strat-Talker

US or Tribute??

3. KRamone27

KRamone27 Strat-Talker

Pretty sweet congrats

4. irish1980

irish1980 Senior Stratmaster

Man I've been wanting one of those!

5. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

How does it sound? I've always wondered about the differences (both positive and negative) between that brand's products and the Fenders.

6. Stratoskater

Tribute. US for that price would have been insane!

It sounds incredible! I returned a Fender Modern Player Tele I had bought at GC two weeks ago for $325 to buy it and this one blows it away. It also beats out my MIM and CVC Teles. The fit and finish is on par with my MIA Strat. The only negative I could see is they come with G&L MFD pickups which are kind of an overwound single coil similar to a P90 and people either love them or hate them but you could just swap that out. Body and neck are far better IMO than Fender imports.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

I concur; these are so much nicer than a Modern Player Fender.

Best I can recall, you can drop an Alnico Single Coil right into either the neck rout or the bridge pup rout. Maybe then the pots will need changing; maybe not.

To me, these MFDs are sorta like P-90s but not so much so as many people think. Everyone hopes and assumes they'll be like P-90s but to me, they're just different. Not a Dog or a Cat.

I think the best way to enjoy a G + L Tribute is to NEVER sample the USA ones. They're like a Custom Shop version of this guitar, made by another company. With the pickups really as the most common element. I'm addicted to the USA ones and I can easily see the Indonesian contract guitars are real well made - I'm shocked they can feel so different and look so different up close. From 100 yards, or played to a rowdy crowd of people, the difference is not so obvious at all.

8. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Congrats! I've been wanting a G&L for the longest time. A shop near me used to carry the US models years ago (this was before the Tributes came out). Outstanding guitars. Wish I had bought one back then, but money was tight. Now I just have a hard time finding them, even used. And unless you have a lot of experience with them, you really want to play a particular US model before buying as the necks vary (it really is quite a bit like a Custom Shop model, as Boris mentioned, in that you can order a US made Legacy, ASAT, or whatever and choose from several different options including neck profile). But I digress.

I've heard nothing but positive things about the Tributes, too. MF had Tribute ASAT Specials with the bigger MFDs for $350 last week. I thought long and hard about buying one, but I really want one of the ASATs with the more traditional sized Tele pickups. Although, since they're all MFDs, I wonder if there is much of a difference in sound between the bigger/jumbo and smaller/traditional sized MFDs.

How is the neck on your Tribute, by the way? Specifically, how does it compare to, say, a MIM Standard or American Standard Tele? Thanks!

9. Stratoskater

Neck is very similar to my MIA Strat. Nice modern C. A buddy of mine has a US ASAT and the neck feels very thin like and Ibanez. This is an 05 Tribute when they were made in Korea but the pots, switch and pickups are USA made.