[NGD] Gibson Flying V Faded

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kryger, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

Got a pretty good deal on this at my local shop ($480) and it played and felt so good I had to pick it up. Never had a Gibson before, my other two guitars are a MIM and MIA strat. I figured I needed a good humbucking guitar and I would stop buying guitars (hopefully).

Attached Files:

2. Stratty

Stratty Senior Stratmaster

Sweet v! HNGD

3. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

I so love Flying Vs, I bet yours sound killer. Awesome price. Which pickup is in the bridge? is it a ´57?
    Congrats and enjoy!

All the best,
    Robin

4. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

I actually have no idea what it is. Thats one of the reasons I got them to lower the price, they didn't know either. Ill have to take it apart and check to see if I can ID it.

5. SiyarK

SiyarK Strat-Talk Member

Great axe, congrats! So what do you think of the feel of the body?

6. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

Well it definitely ain't as comfy as a strat, Ill tell you that! Haha, it will take some getting used to. Its nice and light, it looks......edgy.....and I believe the finish is nitrocellulose, so it will wear. I could be wrong.

7. DaveQ

DaveQ Strat-Talker

The pickups are most likely Gibson 496R and 500T. Congrats on the guitar. I've always kind of wanted a V or an Explorer. Enjoy!

8. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

Everything that my buddy Robins said!
    I'm a Flying V player too - never saw one I didn't like! Yours is awesome!
    HNGD!!

9. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Senior Stratmaster

That's what we all say.

Happy NGD.

10. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Stop buying guitars, not so fast. There are lots of different humbucking guitars. Just look around you will find more to buy. ENJOY!!!

11. lightningflash

lightningflash Strat-O-Master

This is what they were when it was new:
    Electronics
    Neck Pickup 496R
    Bridge Pickup 500T
    Controls 2 Volume - 1 Tone - 3-Way Toggle
    Control Knobs Black Tophats with Silver Inserts

But I don't think they put reverse zebra's in the bridge so I don't think that pickup is stock. You got yours for a good price though.

[​IMG]

I have a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat pickup in the bridge of mine and I love it. It's so bright and twangy that I let my buddy gig it one weekend and he played country twang stuff with it. It's almost strat-like in sound. One thing I did do (today actually) is that I didn't like that I could feel the wood grain on the back of the neck so I sanded it down with the second finest Scotch-brite pad I could find at Lowe's and then bought the finest, buffing Scotch-brite pad and hit it with this after and made the neck silky smooth. It took a little of the stain off but I think it looks even better. Mine is light too, 6.6lbs but they do take a little getting used to.

[​IMG]

12. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

Thanks for the information lightningflash! I'm actually still trying to figure out exactly what this V is. I starting to think it may not be a faded because it has a glossy/shiny finish. Also, the knob controls are all black, instead of pearl-tipped. It could just be swapped out, considering the bridge humbucker isn't stock.

13. RockerXDX

RockerXDX Senior Stratmaster

I think it is a faded.. Only V that comes to mind that says Gibson, is in a satin-red, and has that particular 3 control configuration/positioning. Definitely modded at one point or another though.. You have a serial you can look up? (Year dating and that'll eliminate some models)

PS. Did you pick this up instead of an SG?

14. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

If it is a glossy finish (thicker finish and shiny) you´ve got the vintage cherry finish which is the higher price range of the Flying Vs(like the black and the white one, white one had the highest price until 2006 when Gibson changed to a rosewood fretboard instead of ebony).
    Then it was a steal.

All the best,
    Robin

15. lightningflash

lightningflash Strat-O-Master

It does have quite a bit of shine to it to be a faded which is actually what I'd prefer over a faded...but I like the crescent moon inlays on mine better:)

You got a sweet deal on a sweet guitar though.

16. jojo68

jojo68 Strat-Talker

I dig my v as well !!! Grats

17. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

Thanks again for all the replies and information everyone. I am absolutely loving this guitar.

RockerXDX: Yes, I got this instead of an SG because it was cheaper and I never really fell in love with the SG's scale length and balance. It also felt right when I played it.

Robins: It is glossy and it feels thick to me, however you can still see the wood grain. I'm not sure Exactly how to compare to a Faded because I've even touched another V other than this one.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get a case without breaking the bank...

18. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

Yes it is the vintage nitro cherry finish then, not a faded. The guitar came with a Gibson case but that price was a steal even without the case.
    Seeing the wood grain through is right for the glossy cherry nitro.

Faded:
    http://img1.jpegbay.com/gallery/001547024/4_f.jpg

Glossy, vintage cherry nitro
    http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/gibson-flying-v-68-reissue-cherry-519976.jpg

All the best,
    Robin

19. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

Thanks so much! Definitely looks more like the second. Wow, I thought I never get the good deals. I guess its karma apologizing for when I bought that fake USA strat many years back.

Best,
    Kryger

20. Kryger

Kryger Strat-Talker

This deal keeps on getting better and better. I popped the hood and it turns out that there is a Seymour Duncan SH-1 in the neck, and a Peter Florance Voodoo 59 pickup in the bridge!