NGD : Help Parse an Interesting Find

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Seinzumtode, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Seinzumtode

Seinzumtode Strat-Talk Member

Greetings to Strat-Talk world!

This is my first post, though I'm a long-time reader. I'm usually able to learn what I need without bothering too many folks. But my new acquisition is too interesting not to share.

The pictures show all identifying marks. It is possible that its parts matching, I think, maybe--help?

As you see, the body has the early custom shop stamp and the neck has the remnants of a "Larry L. Brooks Masterbuilt" sticker and the "Hector Montes" and "19xx" (1990? 1989?) stamps are not very readible. The neck is the thinnest neck I've held on a Strat, and has tall frets; the body has a swimming pool route and seems to have room enough for a larger bridge.

In any case, it plays wonderfully and sounds great--not quite vintage, as the JB jr gives more super-strat sounds. Is it possible that is stock, or at least from that era?

Look forward to comments and insights from the community!

Attached Files:

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Cokeman

Cokeman Strat-Talk Member

Who carved their name into the finish next to the neck pocket?

3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

If it is custom shop, where is the custom shop logo on the back of the headstock? And do you have a pic of the serial number? People fake custom shop guitars all the time.

CB91710 and Baelzebub like this.
  4. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

Welcome Welcome.

5. Seinzumtode

The body is really badly scraped up, including that name. It was heavily gigged through the 80s and 90s, I guess.

It is very much just a player. But a great piece and exciting find, I think!

The master built guitars didn't get a custom shop logo on the neck, as far as I'm aware, only that logo that's half missing--and that's where the serial would be, right?

I'm well aware that guitars are faked. It's more likely it's a partscaster then a fake. It's been locked away for over 20 years; and the conditions of the fake are highly unlikely, at least it seems to me--How about you?

Does anyone out there have a Larry Brooks master built from this era to compare?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  6. Seinzumtode

I know there is an old thread here about early custom shops, master builts, artist relations -- I would assume this fits, but what are the guidelines on reviving these old threads?

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

really weird combination. Neck has vintage tuners and vintage finish/logo but with 22 frets and truss rod at headstock. I believe "parts" of the guitar are authentic but i doubt it left the factory that way. I dont think the body and neck came together.

CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Seinzumtode

I don't know, the very few other Brooks built strats I have seen were also 22 frets. But those had Khalers. My understanding is that the early custom shops were "anything goes," really. And this one is not really a vintage spec (the neck, the bridge, the body--all more in line with the 80s/90s Standards).

Do you have any evidence for me to weigh that they would not come together?

I agree that its very possible that the body and neck were married. Just out of curiosity, really: This is a keeper for me.

9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Well, it’s a good thing that you have that remnant of decal on the back. That is really early if authentic. Perhaps @John C will chime in.

10. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

Same guy who did this on a MIM? I guess it is a way to identify it.

IMG_7281.JPG

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

very possible. Could have been configured by the customer and Custom Shop built it. I wouldn't have chose that combination but if it's a player enjoy it!

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Does that tilt thing actually do the job....

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Seinzumtode

Now, that's a man who appreciates his MILKSOAP! Bless you, David.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Seinzumtode

I have never minded the microtilt, though I prefer vintage without. This one works fine, as does the truss rod, which is also modern.

The vintage style string tree is odd as well, of course. If it is original--and of course everything is up in the air, at the point--its an odd combo!

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Seinzumtode

16. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

No, on a custom shop guitar, the serial number is almost always on the neck plate....not on the back of the headstock.....

17. Seinzumtode

Attached Files:

18. Seinzumtode

The bummer, with mine, is that the serial number is not present on the neck or neck pocket, so, if it ever was, it was above that masterbuilt sticker which is now rubbed-off. I just wonder if anyone has had or seen another Brooks-built strat?

19. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

This one is an odd duck - I've not seen anything like it, but as I'm fond of saying "With Fender never say never". It could have been made as a personal guitar by the CS builder from parts pulled of the assembly line. It could have been a normal production model reworked by the CS builder as a side project. Like you say it's concerning that it doesn't have a serial number, which makes me think it was some kind of side project/personal instrument instead of an "official" guitar because I can't recall one having a serial number decal over the finish where it could be rubbed off. But you just never know, particularly during that era.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  20. Cokeman

Cokeman Strat-Talk Member

Oh OK. I thought maybe it was Satan.

Exhead likes this.