NGD: Ibanez AS153 semi-hollow

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by BadBrad, Nov 13, 2014.

1. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I have 3 strats and a tele, and wanted a shorter scale guitar with humbuckers. I had a hard time deciding between a Les Paul type solidbody or an ES-335 type semi-hollow body. I couldn't afford a Gibson ES-335 or higher end Les Paul, so I was mainly looking at the Chinese and Korean versions. I also considered an SG. I'm not a big guy, so I also strongly considered an Epiphone ES-339. After a bunch of research I ended up getting a used Ibanez AS153.

It's a beautiful instrument. The construction quality is great, and it looks and feels like it cost 3times as much as it did. It has a nice ebony fretboard, which I like, and the fretwork is amazing -- the fret ends are hemispherical. Check them out in the attached photo. The neck and frets are super comfortable and fast.

When it arrived and I first played it I was a little disappointed at first. It played great, and the pickups sounded great, but the lower strings, and especially the low E string sounded kind of dead and rubbery. It had some old heavy flat-wound strings on it. I understand a lot of folks like the heavy flatwound strings on these guitars to get that warm jazzy tone, but these were either old and dead or just not my preference, so I decided to put on some D'Addario 11's I had, which is what I usually use on my strats. This totally solved the problem, and now I love the guitar.

It is amazingly versatile tone-wise. You get the different neck and bridge p/u tones, or both together, or blend them together in varying amounts with the volume controls. And there's an extra 3-way switch for the neck p/u that does parallel humbucking, series humbucking, or single coil.

I plugged it into my VibroChamp XD, which has a bunch of amp models built in, and they all sounded great with this guitar, from totally clean to dirty blues to heavy metal crunch.

It still needs a bit of setup tweaking since I put the lighter strings on, like a bit of neck relief added, but overall I'm really happy with this guitar. So far I think it's a keeper.

Attached Files:

2. Pandacaster

Pandacaster Strat-Talker

She's a beauty.That flame top looks awesome! Happy new guitar day!

3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Oooh that's sweet! I've got an old AM50 from the early 1980s that I love (it's needing a little work at the moment tho). Those smaller sized, semi-hollow Ibanez guitars are fantastic instruments (esp. for the money!)... congrats!

4. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Very nice.

Cheers.

5. srvsayce78

srvsayce78 Most Honored Senior Member

Very nice, congrats.

6. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Congrats, and good times after one string change!

7. Ramblin'man

Ramblin'man Strat-O-Master

Ibanez does makes some good stuff. I have a hollow body AG95 that I really like. Have fun playing that one.

8. Mech

Mech Strat-O-Master

HNGD!
    Those semi's from Ibanez are indeed nice. Is it me or does the headstock emblem resembles a "Dancing Ballerina"? Btw, EXTREMELY pleased with my AM93.

9. kargoboy

kargoboy Strat-O-Master

Really nice, love it.

10. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

I always give frets the inspection before anything else. They look pretty sweet.

NO BELT BUCKLES with that beauty. Congrats. Back picture?

11. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker Strat-O-Master

Didn't I post in this thread? I could have sworn I said Oh WOW. I want it.
    That thing is great. I found one on GC. Not bad price. They also had a couple cherry bursts.

12. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

That's a real beauty. Congrats BadBrad-

13. Phildog

Phildog Strat-Talk Member

Love it!!! That top is gorgeous! I recently scored this AS120 off CL. But mine doesn't have the extra switch.

That extra 3-way switch sounds like a great idea to add some versatility to her. I bet she sounds great. Also, I have size 12 flatwounds on mine. Gives me the tone I was hoping for.

Anyway, here's my AS120...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]