Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD (In the Works)

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, May 22, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I've been working on a new project for myself for a couple months now. It's taken a couple different turns.
    First I thought I would build a strat with an EC mid boost circuit using this 1997 MIC Affinity. Then I bought a maple neck from a member here as well as some Planet Waves Auto Trim locking tuners from another member.
    [​IMG]
    It turned out that the neck wouldn't fit without some extra work on the pocket so I decided to just go back with the original neck.
    [​IMG]
    I started collecting the parts needed though I already had a few of them like the boost circuit board.
    [​IMG]
    But I still had to get a couple more pieces to do it right like a TBX tone control.
    [​IMG]
    But then, while I was doing all of this another member here put this virgin ash body up for sale and I struck a deal and made a trade with him for a nice overdrive pedal...I think.
    [​IMG]
    The only holes drilled in it were in the pocket for neck screws. So now my plans drastically changed. I will be building an ash bodied EC inspired strat with a 20db mid boost.
    I had enough nouse going on with my dog so I don't want this thing to get to hairy when I turn it up. That means a set of hot noiseless p'ups.
    [​IMG]
    My only wish so far is that I can find some black covers for the p'ups. If not, I will be painting them.
    Next was some hardware, I picked up a Babicz FCH 2 point bridge and a new output boat.
    [​IMG]
    as well as a Hipshot Tremsrtter.
    [​IMG]
    The toughest part of this for me was to decide what color the pickguard should be. I personally am partial to either cream or parchment on an ash body but Mrs. Believer thought I should use a black pickguard. I don't know why but I don't really care for a plain black pickguard on clear finished woodgrain. I like it on a lot of different colors but just not on wood. But, she does have a far better sense of fashion than I so I digress.
    Ahhh who am I kidding, it's my axe and I don't want black so I shopped around and found this beauty.
    [​IMG]
    Now you see why I want black p'up covers.
    All I eally need now is a custom etched neck plate and a 50k volume pot.
    The other guitar will be getting finished in the near future too but it will be getting a refret as it should have one and I am waiting for @heltershelton to be ready to trade out his staggered tuners for my ninstaggered.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Man that's looking sweet....

Believer7713 likes this.
  3. Believer7713

Thank you. I'm looking forward for this one for sure

Namelyguitar likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

There are some Seymour Duncan black covers on amazon, and others too. Take your pick.

5. 3bolt79

How much did the Babicz set you back. It looks great.

6. Believer7713

Will they fit the Noisless P'ups? Everything I have found is too tall as the noiseless p'ups have shorter covers because they only have half of their coil on top of the magnet. I'll keep looking though because I don't plan to start on it for a little while yet.
    I got the Babicz bridge on eBay second hand for $87.50 shipped. I've wanted to try the whole bridge for several years now...normally just use his saddles on the original plates on most of my guitars. This ond didn't have a bridge at all so I decided to just buy a complete bridge. Normally they are $135 to $165 shipped. The Z series bridges are cheaper but these also have a couple other features that the Z series doesn't have like the set screw that presses all of the saddles together after the height and intonation is set which creates a larger single mass of metal for better sustain. Plus the saddles are the most comfortable I have ever played with since I rest my hand on the bridge a lot.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

I guess I didn’t know that the noiseless pickups took a different cover.

8. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Your wife is right.
    Black is best.

:D

Interesting pickguard you have on there though. single ply white would have also worked well like you said. matches the pickup covers too.... would have been the 'easy' choice.

Build it how you want, it's your guitar and not up for debate - but it is interesting seeing how the mind works.

That body is a nice piece. I thought about it myself, except 'shipping'.

ZlurkCorzDog and Believer7713 like this.
  9. Believer7713

I really don't know for sure why but I just don't care for a black PG on a natural finished piece of blonde wood. To me it's like a mint green guard on just about anything. I just don't like it.

JB74 likes this.
  10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I learned long ago that sometimes 'keeping the peace' is more important than personal aesthetic preferences... case in point - purple ibanez RG and a Gibson SG standard - two guitars that 'aren't my thing' ;)

The flip side? SWMBO is actually playing guitar, doesn't get upset when I buy 'another' - well not too upset (so far)

;)

MrNeutron and Believer7713 like this.
  11. Believer7713

I will completely agree with you. My plus side here is that when she saw the one that I chose she looked it as much as I do. Also, I didn't buy that particular pickguard until she told me to go with it.

JB74 likes this.
  12. Believer7713

So I got started on it today. I still am waiting on a couple more parts to come in but was able to get the p'ups, pots and switch loaded into the pickguard.
    Starting with the p'ups...I couldn't find any black covers that would work so some sand paper and some black paint and i'm in business.
    [​IMG]
    Black on the screw heads.
    [​IMG]
    Wiring under the hood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Close up of the 50k volume and TBX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And deciding where to put the mid-boost board.
    [​IMG].

Namelyguitar and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Believer7713

Today I only got a little time to start hogging out the body for the EC mid boost circuit board and the wiring. I drilled it just over 1/2" deep to allow for me to wrap it so it wont rattle around or ground to the shileding that will be put in it.
    [​IMG]
    Using Forstner bits I started with the 1/4" in the corners
    [​IMG]
    Then worked my way in with the 7/8" bit
    [​IMG]
    And finished with the 3/8" for the wire channel.
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow I plan to get the edges smooth with the router.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    The Strat Dude and RevBillyG like this.
  14. Believer7713

Got the circuit board pocket routed and test fit today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not bad for a freehand job. One step closer today.

The Strat Dude likes this.
  15. 3bolt79

That will look great at your worship service. Very cool.

16. Believer7713

Thank you. I think it will be cool for sure too. I always have a custom etched neck plate made for my guitars too. This is the picture i am thinking about using for that.
    [​IMG]

Silvercrow and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

I like your taste in pickguards. That looks good.

MrNeutron and Believer7713 like this.
  18. Believer7713

Thanks much. I am digging on it quite a bit. I really wanted something that was different from everything else I have which are pretty plain except one. The only non plain Pickguard that I have is a Fender made machine turned aluminum guard that really pops on the guitar that I put it on which has a color changing paint.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

Good on you for living your faith and representing it on your guitars. I am not a Christian, but I always think it’s cool when people live according to deep, heartfelt beliefs.

20. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

As usual for you, VERY classy and unique build! LOVE the pickguard, the body and the entire "scheme".

I know nothing about the boost circuit- looks like it takes a 9v battery...where will that mount? Does it have to be changed often (the battery)? It that the same as the boost on an EC Strat?

Are you planning on actuating the boost with a mini toggle, or a push-pull?

Noted you are in the market for a 50K pot- do the tone pots need different values from norm also?

OH- just saw the push/pull- disregard that question...LOL!

ALSO- I love the "rounded" body / horns! My one G&L Legacy had a more rounded profile and I always thought it looked better.

Best wishes going forward- keep us posted! (pun intended)

Brian

Believer7713 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.