Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD (In the Works)

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, May 22, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you again Brian,

The 50K is an integral part of the boost and it is actually the volume pot for the guitar. The stacked pot you see in it is the TBX tone pot. It's a dual gang 250K with a center detente. The boost control is a regular 250K.

The Circuit is powered by a 9V battery and I am hoping to be able to fit it into the control cavity under the volume pot. I don't believe the battery will need to be changed very often. I haven't ever had one of these so it is a learning curve for me but I can't imagine it drawing that battery anymore than a set of EMG p'ups.

As far as the switching I decided to go with a TRS plug so that when I plug the guitar in the plug will be the switch for the circuit like on an EMG loaded guitar.

I also really like the profiling on this body. it is very comfortable in my hands while working with it. I can't wait to get this one together so I can get a feel for it as a player.

Silvercrow likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Well, I got the neck plate today and I gotta say, he knocked it out of the park again.
    [​IMG]
    Beautifully etched. It matches the theme of the front for sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3bolt79 and MrNeutron like this.
  3. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Agreed! Someone you know did an absolutely INCREDIBLE job on that! That's gonna sound good playing at church........

Quick, somewhat unrelated question.... sorta...... When you play at your church, do you plug directly into the church's PA, or into an amp, or??? What will the EC (Eric Clapton???) mid boost circuit do? Is it somewhat like a preamp?

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Believer7713

When I play at church I mic my amp in an isolation cabinet back stage.
    The Eric Clapton Mid Boost preamp circuit is just that. It brings up the mid hump. How it will aound for me is still to be determined since I have never played one.

5. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

the guitar body looks gorgeous and wowza on the pickguard choice.

6. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A little late to the party, but....
    https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Black...s50mm-or-52mm-Pickup-String-Spread_p_484.html
    You'll need a 52mm and two 50mm for the Hot Noiseless (pretty sure, measure to be sure). They are a SMIDGE shorter than the coils, but seem to be fine.

My problem... I need to find a set of white for the Vintage Noiseless. The VN's put the bucking coil on the bottom of the plate, so any available covers are too tall.
    I'll likely end up cutting the bottom 1/8" off of a set of white covers and tacking them on with a small dap of silicone.

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. Believer7713

I ended up lightly sanding and painting mine black. It's too bad we didn't hook up earlier as mine were white. They weren't bright white but were fully white.
    On a side note, now that I'm back home from the hospital I will be able to start working on it again.

8. CB91710

Trade wouldn't have helped... I have off-white covers on my VN's and still have the original covers from the Hot Noiseless.
    Those EY covers will work for the hot pickups... they have what looks like a 2nd bucking coil between the primary coil and baseplate. VNs are much thinner and all available covers are too tall.

20190627_212813.jpg

And why I want pure white....
    Yes, Tele knobs with an S1 switch to connect the bridge and neck.
    I'm building as a twin for the red white and blue Tele a built a few months ago.
    I actually considered black, white, and chrome covers for the VN's.

20190627_213217.jpg

Believer7713 likes this.
  9. Believer7713

I haven't been able to get much done until a couple days ago.
    I started by setting the neck. I ran into a slight issue with it sinct the pocket was cut with a different heel radius which wouldn't allow the neck to slide all the way into the pocket. So I carefully marked a new radius and using a sanding drum on my dremel, I reradiused the pocket.
    [​IMG]
    There is a gap in the pocket but I will make a filler plug for it soon.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the custom neck plate.
    [​IMG]
    After setting the neck, I had to measure for the bridge. Once I found the location I noticed that the top shelf of the bridge route was going to impede on the bridge block. Using my precision router attachment for my Dremel I trimmed the shelf back to allow for clearance of the large block.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  10. Believer7713

Today it was time to figure out how to set the clearance for the rest of the bridge block. Since I am planning on leaving the back open (no cover) I didn't want to reroute the back cavity and take a cance of messing up the asthetics of the body so I took a cue form Fender on their tapered block design.
    I started by marking where I wanted to file it down to and clamped it in the vise.
    [​IMG]
    After an hour of work with a pretty aggressive double cut bastard file I got through it.
    [​IMG]
    Finally done cutting it away here
    [​IMG]
    Now time to clean up the edges with a couple smaller, finer files.
    [​IMG]
    And the finished product.
    20190723_113502.jpg
    It is ready to start setting in place.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  11. Believer7713

Got home from physical therapy and got back at it. After getting the bridge measured i started with hand drilling a pilot hole using a small bit in a pin vise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I used another bigger pin vise and bit to chamfer the hole to help center the 3/8" drill bit for drilling the holes for the screw bushings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Using a 7/16" drill bit in the press I chamfered the edges of the holes...it barely takes a touch with the drill press.
    [​IMG]
    Before driving the bushings into place I decided to ground the strings differently on this guirar. Since I am not going to put a back cover on this guitar I want to keep it as clean as possible in the trem cavity. I drilled a channel from the control cavity to the bottom bushing hole and fed a wire, bare on the end, through it and pressed the bushing into place grounding it like a tune-o-matic bridge would be.
    [​IMG]
    A quick check with the DVOM showed a good connection between the bridge and the other end of the wire.

Bob the builder, Bowmap and CB91710 like this.
  12. Believer7713

Ok, so everytime I thought I would be putting up for the day I would end up only taking about a 10 minute break. Then I would just get back at it. I finally got it wired and the pickguard and output jack boat installed. It's ready to test for sound right now but I still need some time to do some tweaking before stringing it up.
    Laying on the bench
    [​IMG]
    And my wife taking a couple pics while I am holding it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Silvercrow, you said you wanted to see this part and @Mr. Neutron these were your tuners so you helped.

Bowmap, CB91710 and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  13. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster

Man that is a beauty and that pickguard is perfect!!!! Thanks for sharing all of this with us brother.

LMSS

Believer7713 likes this.
  14. CB91710

Great work!

Believer7713 likes this.
  15. Believer7713

Thank you. I really liked how the pickguard looks on this body for sure. I also like how the neck plate turned out to carry on the theme.
    [​IMG]

Bowmap likes this.
  16. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Glad to see you up and about. Are you full weight on your leg now?

I have yet to use a Babicz bridge. I have one a black one. Decided to go with gold. You like them? Big block. Any who's that has turned out gorgeous.

Believer7713 likes this.
  17. Believer7713

Sorry it took me a little while to respond here but I just got busy and forgot TBH. I am not full weight bearing yet. Right now I am only 25% so still on crutches. Nice thing is that I can do most of this work sitting down.

Today, I can happily say that my build thread is now an NGD. I still have to do a setup and install a different string tree as well as the Tremsetter and strap lock buttons but it has been strung up and tested. All the electronics work as they should.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is next to my other natural ash bodied strat...the P90 Monster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will do a proper HNGD when I get the final touches completed.

Bowmap likes this.
  18. Believer7713

Ok couldn't help myself...had to take a pic of all three of my natural finish strats.
    [​IMG]

19. Believer7713

Two more steps done before I had to leave with Mrs. Believer to run some errands.
    The American style string tree is installed. I used the pin vise to hold the drill bit so i could drill by hand again to control the depth easier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I got the intonation set and got the bridge all locked down. It is really cool how the set screw on the top pushes all of the saddles together to create a larger mass of metal for better sustain.

Bowmap likes this.
  20. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Adding pin vise to wish list of tools. Thanks.

Believer7713 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.