Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD Incoming - Taylor 224CE-K-DLX

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by spikypaddy, Dec 4, 2019.

1. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

My first decent acoustic is due to arrive tomorrow morning. Played one a couple of years ago and loved it, I'm selling my Music Man SM-Y2D to help fund this one! Absolutely can't wait.

Dewey, circles, Stratoskater and 4 others like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Excited?

spikypaddy likes this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

NIce. I’ve been considering the 814 but I’m such a Martin guy it feels “wrong” to me to love a Taylor so much :D

spikypaddy likes this.
  4. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I've got a Taylor 314CE and it's a really nice sounding/recording guitar. I've got friends that have Gibson SJ200's and Martin dreadnoughts (much more expensive guitars) and they both are shocked by my Taylor and how well it records.
    Enjoy yours when it arrives!!

spikypaddy likes this.
  5. spikypaddy

Well, that was disappointing. 11:30 this morning I get an email to say my order is in the packaging queue... When it should have instead been in a van no more than half an hour away from my home. Called the dealer I ordered from and their warehouse had messed the order up. Now not arriving until Wednesday next week, so I just have to go back into waiting mode. They do say good things come to those who wait, right?

Bob the builder likes this.
  6. spikypaddy

I was. The excitement's now been shelved until next week.

I tried a 224CE a couple of years ago at a local guitar show and loved the sound, playability and look. The koa model was discontinued shortly after, but I had to jump on this one when I saw they'd reintroduced it again this year! I'd been planning to get a 000 Fender Paramount, but those Taylor auditoriums are just too nice to pass up!

I think they're just really nicely balanced guitars - sparkly treble, full rich bass and brilliant projection. I've just moved on my old Fender CN-240SCE and really wanted something that will be a forever after acoustic. Once it turns up, I think it'll fit the bill perfectly!

Bob the builder likes this.
  7. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I've used it on recordings at home (tascam dp03 8 track) both direct with 1/4 cable and DI box with xlr and it sounds great either way.
    You're right....they're balanced.

spikypaddy likes this.
  8. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yikes, that's rough. Sorry to hear that buddy.

spikypaddy likes this.
  9. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

What is the difference betweem the 214ce and the 224ce?

I have the deluxe 214ce koa. Very nice guitar.

10. spikypaddy

It's only a pain because I've used up my last day off for the year waiting for a delivery that never happened. The wife now has to hang around all Wednesday morning on my behalf instead. Disappointing, but I guess it ain't the end of the world - first world problems, eh?

The Taylor rep explained to me that the double 2 signifies that the top is made of the same species of wood as the back and sides. So mine will be solid koa top, with laminate back and sides where I guess yours is solid spruce top with laminated koa back and sides.

11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I love that Taylor numbering system. First number is the series. Second the top, third the shape.

spikypaddy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.