NGD - Jim Dandy

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gwjensen, May 13, 2017.

1. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

My son became smitten with my Fender Parlor CP100, so I gave it him. I needed another couch acoustic, so Jim Dandy to the rescue...

It's a good player and with a nice vintage vibe. I like the open back tuners with the button knobs, the body binding, and the pin striping. I would have preferred smaller fretboard makers (they're really big) and no "G" on pickguard, but all in all, pretty cool. Like the Fender, it sounds good, if not stellar, but for under $200, it'll do just fine.

The Gretsch is a bit smaller all around than the Fender and neck joins the body at the 12th fret instead of the 14th, but no big deal. It also has a shorter 24" scale, making it a very easy player, even with 12 gauge strings. Like the Fender, I'll be using it as a "tool" guitar for practice and couch noodling.

I like the bridge design - no pins. The finish is very attractive, though there are small flaws in the binding and pin striping, but so what; it has very good fret work, a nicely cut nut, good action, spot on intonation, and good projection (for a small guitar).

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a budget couch acoustic for practice and general noodling.

JIM DANDY 4.jpg

JIM DANDY 1.jpg

JIM DANDY 3.jpg

upload_2017-5-13_20-32-18.png

2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks great!

Yaralag and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster

Go Jim Dandy, go!

Yaralag and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Congrats , looks very cool.

gwjensen and Yaralag like this.
  5. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking .... Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool !

Yaralag likes this.
  6. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

No locking nut so of course...

I like. :thumb:

gwjensen and Yaralag like this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Hngd!

Yaralag likes this.
  8. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Had my eye on one of these for awhile. I just love the way they look. Enjoy!

Fendereedo and gwjensen like this.
  9. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome.

Fendereedo and gwjensen like this.
  10. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Congrats!

I LOVE mine. It hangs in the kitchen right across from the door into the backyard. Now that it's getting warmer, it gets a ton of play time. Any time we take the dogs out to play catch, or just sit on the porch and have a drink, I sling it across my back like Johnny Cash, and whip it around when I want to try something.

Best of all, our "yard" is 50 acres of woods, so I don't have to worry about bothering any neighbors with my terrible playing.

On the pinless bridge, I kinds wish it did use bridge pins. You have to be really careful and control the strings when you're pulling them out, especially the wound ones, to keep them from riding on the body and scratching it. It's doable, you just have to be careful.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

How's about a blow by blow, first 100 miles.
    Been looking for a parlor to love.
    And
    $169.00
    Yas , Yas

12. gwjensen

What an ideal situation! It really is a grab and go guitar. Mine just sits on the couch next me. I know what you mean about restringing. I just did that - wanted to try 11s - and you do have to go slow and careful.

Fun little guitars, no question.

13. GunMonkeyINTL

No doubt. Mine sounds better than me, so I can't complain about it one bit.

gwjensen likes this.
  14. gwjensen

Well, I'm not a fast player, so we'll say 40mph and I've played it about 3 hours, so 120 miles so far? o_O

Blow by blow comparison with the Fender CP100.

Action - Average for an acoustic. The Fender is lower, so it wins by a head.
    Intonation - perfect, dead on, like the Fender. Tie.
    Fretwork - Both are very good, but the Fender has beautifully rounded ends, so it wins by a nose.
    Tone - Midrangy and on the thin, bright side, but in a good way. The Fender is a bit richer and more resonant, but the Jim Dandy is louder, so Jim by a head.
    Finish/looks - Never liked the yellow in the Fender two-tone burst. Love the JD's subtle brown-to-black fade. The JD has a cooler headstock and I like the (painted) binding and pinstripe. Jim by a length.
    Tuners - Both are open back. The Fender's are smoother and look classier from the back, but the JD's do work well and I like the button knobs better than Fender's chrome knobs. A tie.
    Body - Both are laminated front, back, and sides. The Fender is noticeably taller, wider and thicker with rounded upper bouts versus JD's squared bouts, but interestingly, the JD is louder. Maybe that's the difference between Nato (JD) and spruce/mahogany (Fender). Jim wins by a length for being more compact and louder.
    Neck - The Fender is a 25" scale, the JD 24". The Fender has 14 frets clear of the body, the JD 12. The JD's neck is slightly clubbier. Both have a satin back and rosewood fretboards. It's a tie, unless you need the Fender's extra two frets. I gave my son the choice of both guitars and he chose the Fender for that reason. I don't play an acoustic that high, so not an issue for me. Even though the JD's and inch shorter, they feel the same, probably because of the Fender's lower action.
    Bridge - Both are rosewood, I think. I like the pinless design of the JD better, and it looks cooler, so Jim by a nose.

There it is. They're both good. If you need Fender's two extra frets, and like a lower action and longer scale, then the CP100 is the choice. If the extra frets aren't important and you want more volume, a shorter scale, and a more vintage vibe, then the Jim Dandy's the one, and it's $30 less. Can't go wrong with either one, though.

GunMonkeyINTL likes this.
  15. GunMonkeyINTL

Yeah, but does the Fender come in Rotted-Barn Blue, Orange Creamcicle, or Seafoam Alien-Puke? No?

Ladies and freaks of the jury, I rest my case.

16. gwjensen

HaHa, that's right, they do come in those weird colors. More power to the Jim Dandy, I guess... o_O

17. GunMonkeyINTL

Gretsch embraces their freak-side. That's part of the appeal.

gwjensen likes this.
  18. gwjensen

Time for a musical interlude... Black Oak Arkansas with their big (and only) hit!

I just figured it out, this is where David Lee Roth got his Schtick...