NGD - JV

Kester

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 17, 2012
Halesowen, England
16B6499B-5396-4938-B0A4-4CBA4CEFCC5E.jpeg F6369BFC-2E98-47C4-80AB-565380BA3D67.jpeg 7D98DF20-782E-4549-8B1E-F8BF33B2FC85.jpeg I’ve owned a few JVs over the years. But for reasons I won’t bore you with I always wanted a domestic model from late May/early June 1983. I also only wanted one in Black or CAR, so all in all I have been waiting a good while for one to crop up. It’s a gem, the best JV I’ve had. When I got it it was set up like a dog. But even then I could tell it was going to be great. Has a beautiful slim neck and plays wonderfully and after a few tweaks is a gem.

Kester

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 17, 2012
Halesowen, England
Wonderful... Where is the made in japan script? It should be under the Fender logo on the headstock.
In around May 83 they moved it from the headstock to the neck heel. They then only made the JV line for another 9 months or so. You do see a lot more of the first version with the MIJ on the headstock. Thanks for all the comments folks. It’s great to be part of a forum where we all have a shared interest.

Kester

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 17, 2012
Halesowen, England
Gorgeous Strat! I didn't even know they made Japan Fenders in '83, thought it was Squiers only...
The Squiers were for the export market at first, and the Fender badged guitars for the Japanese domestic market. Although they did end up with lower spec JVs for both domestic and export markets.

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire
The Squiers were for the export market at first, and the Fender badged guitars for the Japanese domestic market. Although they did end up with lower spec JVs for both domestic and export markets.
The Fenders arrived here first, followed shortly (very shortly) by the Squiers.