NGD: Lincoln Brewster Signature Strat - Aztec Gold

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by integra evan, Jul 24, 2019.

1. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master

It’s an elite with DiMarzio pups. How could it not be a great guitar.

integra evan likes this.
  2. Razor

Razor Strat-Talk Member

I had a LP with a push-push switch and it was the easiest to me. I like S1 switch but still have to grope for it in live setting, push-push much easier in real time to me

integra evan and Believer7713 like this.
  3. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

Yeah, I think a push-push would be better for a strat. But I manage just fine using my fingernail underneath the bottom of the knob.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

There is only one me. (thank goodness)

TangerineDog and integra evan like this.
  5. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-O-Master

That sure is one sweet looking Stratocaster guitar with the Aztec gold and maple FB with 22 frets! The boost and mid-boost features are a nice touch.

integra evan likes this.
  6. integra evan

Thanks! Its really a nice guitar

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  7. integra evan

So last night I took off the 9s, and then took off the film from the pickguard and rear cover. I also installed 2 more springs. I took some pictures of what's under the hood.

So the battery for the mid boost is in the back:

20190815_234955.jpg
    At first, I thought it would have been under the pickguard. This does make it easier to change. I was hoping to leave the back cover off, but since the battery is right there, I'll leave it on.

Here is how the body is routed:

20190815_232516.jpg

So you can easily put a number of combos in.

Here is the wiring of the pickups and electonics:

20190815_232545.jpg 20190815_232537.jpg 20190815_232532.jpg

I put 10 gauge strings back on it. I really like how it plays with the 10s. Also, the bridge is decked to the body with the two additional springs. That's how I prefer strats.

JJ100, Nick-O and peterbee like this.
  8. guitar54

guitar54 New Member!

Hey - Great shots - I nabbed them for reference. I bought one too! Great guitar. But I messed around with the action and now have some buzz going on. Did you by chance take any measurements prior to changing yours? Looking for the factory setup on the bridge and action - and neck relief. Thanks!

integra evan likes this.
  9. integra evan

Thanks! Nope, didn't take any measurements. I usually just adjust by feel/eye...to what works for me.

10. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Very nice--love that color! And the pickups sound great!

integra evan likes this.
  11. integra evan

Thanks! It's a great color

12. integra evan

So I ended up returning this first guitar. There was an issue with the nut on two of the nut slots being too wide. Thought the 10's would have fixed it, but it didn't.
    Just received my second one yesterday, the nut is fine and the store I got it from (CME) already set it up with 10's. This second one has a slightly beefier neck, which I really like.
    No pictures because it looks the same. lol

Nick-O, peterbee and Stratoskater like this.
  13. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

How much beefier a neck? I would have thought they would have been about the same, same model etc. Have you mic'd the neck for thickness? If I would ever buy a Fender guitar, this would be it, no question.

14. integra evan

Only by a hair..just enough to make it noticable. No two guitar necks are ever alike, even within the same models...doesn't matter the manufacturer either.
    I didnt take any measurements

Nick-O likes this.
  15. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Great pick, congrats!

integra evan likes this.
  16. airbag

airbag Strat-Talk Member

Got one the other week - didn't know who Lincoln Brewster was, but really liked the spec of this guitar on paper.... heres my two cents worth.

The overall quality and finish of this guitar is superb - its in a different class to say a model like an "American Professional" in its attention to detail and quality control.
    The nitro finish on the paintwork is truly stunning - it shouldn't disappoint.
    The neck seems well sprayed - the lacquer on my fretboard is fairly thick and glossy. It curls up the side of the frets and visually looks like its laid on a bit thick... the only part of the fret without lacquer on it is the very top face of the frets. Ive no idea if this is standard fender practice but it feels to me like some time finishing off the frets could enhance the experience.
    The tint on the neck is a darker yellow than I had seen online in promo photos.
    The back of the neck is a satin feel and (as others have stated) and does seem to slicken up with use.
    On my particular model (early 100's serial number) the "original contour body" decal is on the piss - which was worth mentioning because I've concerns its affecting the tone! ;-)
    The pick guard and back cover have square cut edges (no rolled or chamfered edging) which Kinda looks plain in comparison to the rest of the guitars finish. Guess they were aiming for simplicity in this area.
    The vintage locking tuners are lightweight and have the great vintage look - to me they feel a bit "fiddly" to use right now but may ease up over time.
    The body contouring and rounded neck heel are great features.
    My particular guitar weighs in at 7,7lb.

I completely missed the electronics speil on this guitar.... I had thought the first tone knob only became a mid-range boost control when the boost circuit was active , and that all acted as usual tone controls when not in active boost mode. Am already missing the neck pickup tone controls for when I just want the Strat to be a non-god bothering mere mortal Stratocaster.

The neck feels very different for me - ive mostly played a Fender American Pro, an American Elite for a few weeks, and an All Parts 9.5 C shaped neck.
    The nut has a bit of meat on it and then it really "feels thin" in the hand from frets 2-6. Then from the 7th upwards it feels like it starts to get a bit more wood on it.

(Measurements taken just above each fretwire)
    NUT 0.95
    1st is 0.817
    2nd is 0.82
    3rd 0.836
    4th is 0.852
    5th is 0.865
    6th is 0.88
    7th is 0.895
    9th is 0.925
    At the 12th my neck is a touch under 0.952

Because the fretboard flattens off from 9.5 to 14 - I get a feeling of a "hard edge" to the neck as the flatter fretboard shape carves away to back of the neck (eg you feel it when you hang your thumb over or just pick the guitar up mid-neck) - I guess this is a "soft V-profile" at work and it really is noticeable if you've played more C or D shaped necks for any period.

To now; Ive fitted 10-46s on, have left the 3 bridge springs and adjusted tension for a non-floating bridge.

* If anyone else manages to measure their necks Id be interested to know if there is much variance to this?
    * Also, if anyone has wiring mod advice to add tone control to the non-active circuit, then I guess thats the best of both worlds.. both in heaven and on earth! ;-)
    Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Nick-O and integra evan like this.
  17. integra evan

Enjoy it! As far as the pickguard goes, its modeled after the 50s model with a single ply white guard, which have no bevels to it. If you wanted to make a tone control on the neck pickup, you'd have to get a new tone pot and completely different wiring. There is a circuit board under that "tone" pot wired as that boost. See my pics above for reference.

I ended up returning my guitar. Just couldn't get along with the sticky maple fretboard.

Instead, I built a Lincoln Brewster inspired partscaster with rosewood board. It has the DiMarzio Areas, neck tone control and bridge tone control with treble bleed - the way Lincoln originally had his 57 and 56 reissues wired. I'm on the lookout for an LB body to become available though.

18. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Sorry you had to return it. Getting to this info on page 4 was like reading a book and the hero dies at the end....sad. I have not changed my mind though, IF I were to buy a Fender guitar, this would be it. :)

integra evan likes this.
  19. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

So, the neck pup can really be bright then since it is wide open , no option for the tone knob to be used.. :(

Daaang.. i usually put that into 5 or 6 in 4th or 5th position.