NGD - Maton EGB808

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by JB74, Jun 3, 2019.

1. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Wasn't intending to make any purchases today.
    I was out with SWMBO, and we decided to drop in to our local.
    Someone had just traded this mint '07 EGB808 in.

Fortuitous? must have been, because I have been looking for one of these original early keyhole headstock versions for a long time.

I picked it up and all it took was one strum to know it had soul. Like all these older well-seasoned Maton's they just get better with age and have a particularly full, bright projection and a clarity that is simply amazing.
    So we restrung it and played it for about 15 minutes.
    Done deal.
    There was no umm or ahh. Missus just picked out a strap she liked and I let all the moths out of my wallet... again.

specs:
    Solid sitka spruce top, Blackwood back and sides, maple neck, rosewood fretboard & bridge, satin finish.
    This one has some lovely flame in the blackwood sides as you can see in pics.
    IMG_5268.jpg IMG_5270.jpg IMG_5272.jpg IMG_5273.jpg IMG_5274.jpg IMG_5276.jpg IMG_5277.jpg IMG_5278.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Very nice! I have always dug Maton's

JB74 likes this.
  3. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Thank-you!

This one just sings.
    I actually plugged it into my amps and let rip for about 3 hours when I got home. Then I played for another hour without electrical assistance. My fingers are pretty shredded now, don't care - it sounds bloody awesome and plays very nicely. Really enjoyed this one. I knew I'd picked a winner. Very smooth action and neck is real easy to play, not much else to gush about, because it's just a great guitar.

I'll give it another 48hrs to acclimatize to the room, but it was pretty good since we brought it home and I'm thinking the string tension will relax a little overnight.

Stratoskater likes this.