NGD - MIJ '84 Kramer Focus

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Oct 28, 2020.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Guitar safari in Chicago. On CL for cheap and looking like a warmed over partscaster. The previous owner was disillusioned and disgruntled at his ESP-built-for-Kramer, Japanese superstrat equipped with an original Floyd Rose. Owner said he had it for 15 years...stripped the body, and also stripped the painted headstock. Ugh

Also he complained about not knowing how to set up a Floyd. For those in-the-know...see the pictures. He'd removed the saddle string blocks, put the ball-end of the strings into the saddle and screwed into the ball. That's not how it supposed to go. Check out the picture. He'd saved the blocks, which is awesome.

Anyway, his loss. This is great little guitar, original neck, body, Floyd, pickups....just a messed up finish and some quirky, but kind of cool, knobs. I'll clean up and play for a while until I decide what to do with the finish.

$200....yeah, I'll take that deal every day, all day.

20201028_133819.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Strat-Talker

Steal! Awesome deal for that guitar.

StummerJoe, 3bolt79 and joe_cpwe like this.
  3. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Strat-Talker

If EVH paint that if it were me.

4. joe_cpwe

In high school I had the same model, likely same year, with a beak headstock. At the time I wanted black hardware, and hockey stock or pointy headstock because my focus looked old fashioned. Now it's cool as hell.

I doubt I'll go EVH with it. Other than the finish it's mostly stock so unless the pickups really suck I'll probably keep it HSS with the same wiring. I'll live with it for a few months and see what happens.

Attached Files:

5. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Congrats, Great deal!

I kinda like the finish but that FR set-up is a new one to me, haha.

6. joe_cpwe

You know, the finish is even better in person so....we'll see how it goes. It may stay like that for quite a while.
    I don't have to worry about getting a ding in it which is kinda nice.

StummerJoe, 3bolt79 and Stonetone like this.
  7. bustoff

bustoff Strat-Talker

Cool find, gonna make it a mod platform?

StummerJoe and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nice. I went to pick up a guitar from a guy a few years back and in the corner of his garage was an old hard case. You know me, I had to ask. He said it was an old guitar in pieces, I could have it for another $25. I opened it up.....USA Kramer and all the parts were there in bags. I felt like the guy that finds the singing frog in that old cartoon.

[​IMG]

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I would have jumped on that deal too. The knobs are just like the ones that I used on my old Wilson Effects Envelope Phollower.

StummerJoe, 3bolt79 and joe_cpwe like this.
  10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Dig Kramer’s. HNGD!

StummerJoe and joe_cpwe like this.
  11. joe_cpwe

I won;t go that far, it's got great bones...body, neck, Floyd, tuners. I will have to rewire it. I don't even understand how he's got it wired right now...really weird. So I'll take it apart this weekend, clean it up, wire it as HSS w/ coil split and see how it sounds. The pickups and body finish are the only things up in the air for me. I'll put a Kramer waterslide decal on the headstock

That is amazing Lonn! Major league score that day.!.

I'd not thought about the knobs coming from a pedal...maybe? They're sort of small, but I kinda like 'em. Not sure it it will work well for volume for me. TBD

StummerJoe and Believer7713 like this.
  12. joe_cpwe

update, for anyone that cares, the abused brown/black 1984 Focus 3000 was originally red. Here's a picture next to my Stagemaster plus a few before & after shots.

- the headstock got a Kramer waterslide decal and I added a proper allen wrench holder to the back

- Floyd was disassembled, cleaned up & setup w/ missing string blocks and two springs. Slinky 9-46 gauge strings.
    FWIW, lots of people give Floyd Rose trems grief for setup. I had this one completely taken apart to clean up and reassembled and setup to my preference for tension, the intonation, etc. with no issue. They are great systems IMO

- wiring was hosed up and so weird. (mini switch was a kill switch, bridge pickup was position #3, volume was the bottom pot, on and on and on) I unsoldered everything and started over. Now it's 'normal' 5-way, the coil split switch wired correctly and I moved it. It now as a 500k volume pot, treble bleed and 250k master tone pot master tone for single coils, no tone control on humbucker

- Original pickups (Gotoh?) actually aren't too bad. May roll Duncan TB-12 and/or TB-4 humbuckers thru it at some point.

- Body would require lots of time to paint. Will wait until Spring to think about refinishing the body. Kinda nice not caring if it gets a nick in it. Will be used for gigs.

- It held up very well at band practice yesterday...great player. Was a steal for $200

- I don't think I'll be sent to Kramer jail for not putting some sort of Focus 3000 decal on it because they don't exist. I'd have to create it and that's not happening. It says Made in Japan on headstock, and everything else about it is clearly a Focus, it's not a Pacer.

The damn thing sure plays nice.

20201123_150154 (2).jpg

01_headstocks.jpg 02_headstocks.jpg 03_bodyfront.jpg 04_bodyback.jpg 05_floyd.jpg

JJ119, StummerJoe and mkgearhead like this.
  13. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

The Focus series were VERY underrated guitars at the time. I like mine, except for the maple body that weighs a ton! I have an '83.

Great find at that price! Congrats!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  14. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Sweet.
    Those old Focus models were legit guitars.
    I still have my Focus "V" with the "Beak" headstock.
    Pickups replaced with a pair of Invaders.
    Original pickups went into a H-H Partscaster that I built for my buddy's kid.

KRAMER.JPG

JJ119, joe_cpwe and StummerJoe like this.
  15. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

And oh yeah - the way he had that Floyd set up made me laugh! Thanks for sharing!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  16. joe_cpwe

I didn't weigh it but it's heavy. I had a 85 Baretta back in the day and that thing was a frickin' pig.

StummerJoe likes this.