NGD, my first Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by BlacknBlue, Jul 17, 2021.

1. BlacknBlue

BlacknBlue Strat-O-Master

Here is it, a Fender Rarities Flame Maple Top Tele.

[​IMG]

The other guitar playing in my band bought this a while back and I really fell in love with it, especially the neck pickup. He ended up trading it in at a local music store for a different Tele and I was pretty disappointed. I kept thinking about it and thinking about it, and then happened to be on the store's website the other day and there it was. I called them up, asked if this guitar listed in their used section was the very guitar he traded, they said it was, I shot them an offer and they said yes! So in the car and off to the store I went.

This is the first Tele I've ever owned and I'm really enjoying it. Plays perfectly, the neck pickup has a lot of personality to it, very interesting pickup for a humbucker. I did have to lower the neck pickup and raise the bridge pickup to get some volume balance between the two. My only complaint is the bridge pickup is a LOT brighter than the neck. I'm probably going to get a custom switch plate that has an angled switch opening, and a hole for an extra tone pot and have a tone pot for each pickup. Might even go with a 4 way switch for series/parallel. Any thoughts on that?

EHaley, jbylake, Nadnitram and 11 others like this.
  2. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

4-way switch is an excellent upgrade.

Be aware that, if it hasn't been done already, you'll have to break the connection between the lipstick cover and the pickup ground and add a second ground for the lipstick cover only. The reason for this is that the Fender 4-way switch uses the neck ground to switch the neck pickup on and off, but you still need to permanently ground the lipstick cover.

For a bridge humbucker I would look no further than the Seymour Duncan Little 59. Adding a push-pull coil split adds more options and the Little 59 splits superbly. Bear in mind, however, that Fender and S-D pickups are, I think, wound in opposite directions, so you may have to reverse the neck wires to keep the two in phase.

Other mods I'm sure you're aware of.

Waldo Jones likes this.
  3. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-Talker

Awesome!!! I really like this config and look, the colour is excellent!
    I”ve got the 4 switch on my tele (with out of phase S1), and it’s so versatile.. mine is a 60s vintera mod.

have a good weekend!

4. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

^ You can use a Fender 5-way superswitch (provided it fits in the cavity) or a slimmer and less deep Schaller Type M Megaswitch if the Fender 5-way doesn't fit. Either way you can use a five-way to do a regular three-way plus bridge and neck in parallel and a neck and bridge half out-of-phase.

Alternatively, you can use push-pulls (or push-pushes) to do coil splits, series /parallel and / or full phase flips. You are only limited by the number of knobs you have and you just have to decide on priorities (e.g. no humbuckers, no coil splits).

A final alternative is to put in seperate DPDT mini switches between the pots to repliate / add to the push-pull DPDT parts.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Always a good day

6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

I have always admired the Rarities series. Fender did a number of stunners like yours. Congrats on a good find. HNGD.

7. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I have a 3 knob tele plate, it’s not angled though.
    can’t remember where I got it.
    it’s on the bucket list of things to try out.

in your application seems it would work very well.

Attached Files:

8. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

Awesome Tele! That color is fantastic! I want one!!!!
    Congratulations!!

9. teleamp

teleamp Strat-Talker Silver Member

Nice, congrats...

10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

Congrats, that is a fine looking Tele. Enjoy the mods and the playing.

11. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

a company called RockRabbit makes Tele parts. I was looking at these before I sold my Tele.