NGD - ok, so I used to hate Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Gonflyn, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

They were totally off my radar until recently.

I used to think they were so ugly, like something that got melted in a fire, or were perhaps the red-headed lovechild of a Les Paul and a Stratocaster.

But lately I have been wrestling with getting the sound I want out of my Stratocaster. I love the clean chiminess, but have always struggled with the accompanying thinness that comes with it - despite endless futzing and tweaking, blocking, replacing bridge saddles, et al.

I've tried a few hardtail strats and also a couple with an HSS configuration which helped, but I still thought they were lacking a certain punch.

So after driving the employees at my local music store to the brink of their patience with my OCD mission - (" Jesus, here he comes again, run!") - one of the more saintly salespeople calmly said
    " Hey man, why don't you try a Telecaster if you're looking for a fuller sound, we have an MIM right here that is an awesome value and one of the staff favorites".

A Telecaster?!? Pfft!? I was kind of looking for something a little more modern, you know something that looks like it's been designed within the past hundred years or so. And made in Mexico? That is sooooooo beneath me.

"Just try it". Well, when I plugged it in I knew. There was that sound. Full yet crisp. It totally bridges the gap between my Les Paul and Stratocaster. Possibly one guitar to rule them all. Alnico pickups, great tuning stability. Sold.

I fell for the Capri Orange color that gave it that contemporary effect and replaced the drab white pickguard with a white pearloid, making it look classy and retro all at the same time.

A lovechild indeed. IMG_20210908_090703001.jpg IMG_20210908_090720861.jpg IMG_20210908_091522696.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Very well said.....There are many of us that love the Player series.....I have a couple of Player Teles and think that they are fantastic....

I really feel the difference between my '52 AVRI Tele (that I have sold) and my Player Tele is minimal and if played blind folded would be difficult to distinguish one from the other.....

I wish they did the Capri Orange in left handed form.....at least Fender did the Strat in CO....

And like you, I went with the pearloid P/G....

20191227_084005.jpg

Congrats and Enjoy....

Surf Green, fattboyzz, Robins and 6 others like this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Congrats! I also never used to like a Tele, until I tried one at my local GC. It came home with me.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

There’s no bridge pickup better than a Tele bridge pickup. 100 percent.

5. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Why you dirty scum sucking Strat hating piece of swine mucus, traitor! Get off of Strat Talk! Ha..ha.. just kidding. I've got 3 of them, 2 MIM, 1 American. It took me years to catch on to what you just did. I do wish they'd have contoured the body over the years, but they really can't be beat. I don't play metal, but I can get anywhere between country, rock and blues, and that covers a lot of territory. HNG!

6. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I have a great Tele but I seldom play it as I am so used to a guitar NOT digging into my rib cage or arm. Before I played Strats I played Big arch top guitars and then Les Paul's & SG's. Regardless I really like the sound of my Tele and play it when I need that sound when I'm recording. I'd never sell it as it is a killer axe.

I set up a Peavey Reactor for a friend who wanted a Tele style guitar. It sounds great and plays incredibly well. I had put Tele pickups in it that I got from people who didn't like their Fender Tele pickups. Go figure.

Gonflyn, Hugh and jbylake like this.
  7. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i have a prefactory hand made prs and an ibanez prestige s5470. they are dreamy to play.

i also have a classic series 60's tele with none of my preferred specs and i play it almost exclusively.

i freakin' love my tele.

Zippofan, Robins, joe_cpwe and 6 others like this.
  8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

My '16 Am Std has a belly cut

StratUp, henderman, ratdoc and 3 others like this.
  9. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That's where they really shine to me.

Nice guitar!

Groovey and BuddyHollywood like this.
  10. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I had a Butterscotch Player Tele… Great instrument.

I was also in the “Ergh they are disgusting” camp but literally changed over night (no idea why) and then bought the Player.

Gonflyn and jbylake like this.
  11. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Looks awesome. Good call on the pearloid, looks great with the orange. Now you gotta find the old "show us your orange guitars" thread.

Also, great description of Tele tone. I love them, but I find the traditional bridge uncomfortable. So I get excited when I see one with a Strat style bridge.

Gonflyn likes this.
  12. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talker

Found myself playing my tele more than my strats lately. It’s a MIM HH player, it has a belly cut and I love the functional look of it.

Gonflyn likes this.
  13. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

The past year is the first time since 2009 that I haven't had an MIM tele. They are wonderful, poorly understood guitars. I have never had another person play it and not comment on how great it plays and sounds. My Kirn ash T is wonderful - but it also cost more than twice what a Player tele costs. Nobody with an MIM tele is going to get outgunned.

Gonflyn likes this.
  14. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master

My Player Tele is an exceptional instrument to be honest as was the Player Strat I had. You will not regret that purchase. HNGD!

Gonflyn likes this.
  15. mexipan

mexipan Strat-Talker

Everybody needs a tele in his life

16. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I started with a Tele. For such a simple looking instrument they really cover a lot of territory

Surf Green, bsman, space and 4 others like this.
  17. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

congrats on a beauty!!

i love teles. they're like the 5 card poker of solid body guitars. play it before you try anaconda or texas hold 'em or whatever other variations float around the gambling houses...

here's my baby.

tele with lollar.jpg

fattboyzz, jrbirdman, Gonflyn and 3 others like this.
  18. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your new found admiration of the workhorse. HNGD! Off colors are very cool and the pearloid looks great..

Gonflyn likes this.
  19. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

I bought a Charvel style 2

IMG_20210301_181621.jpg

Fitted alnico II humbuckers but I think the forearm relief and Strat' like contours sealed the deal for me

20. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Confession time. The partscaster tele in my avatar has a full belly cut and as much arm bevel as I could get out of the 3/8" maple cap. My strat made me do it. What can I say?
    Final Back.jpg

fattboyzz, HazyPurple, Exhead and 2 others like this.