NGD! One of the first American Standard Strats ever made!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by joeybsyc, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Rybo50

Rybo50 Strat-Talker

You have some great looking guitars and with this one, it's getting even better.HNGD!!

2. conlinj

conlinj Strat-Talker

I'm in the market for an early one, prefer a maple neck though. Just waiting for the right one to pop up.

3. fenderman888

fenderman888 Banned

Very nice, indeed.

4. TheBigKahuna

TheBigKahuna Strat-Talker

Did you get it for the original price? ;)

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I agree about October 1986 - I wasn't thinking of any completed and shipped American Standards in October, but that the earliest batches of necks and/or bodies might have been toward the end of the month. I'm just not sure how far in advance of final assembly Fender might have done runs of necks and bodies. Also I thought that someone over on FMIC's forum had an early one with a late October neck date and an early November body date but I couldn't turn up the post - if so it was probably a late pre-production one done for either the NAMM show or as a salesman sample. Your red one is probably from the first batch that was shipped out to dealers after NAMM.

6. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

Joeybsyc, You seem to find amazing strats, can you tell us how or where you go about finding these amazing strats? I've seen alot of pics of your collection and its very impressive. Oh yeh, and can you post a few pics of that chrome blue one? I love that one! And this red one is amazing as well. Congrats.

7. BlacknBlue

BlacknBlue Strat-O-Master

Really cool Strat. Can you give some more info on what exactly the Fullerton contours are?

8. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

Thanks! I guess I just keep my ears and eyes open, and notice oddities and cool guitars that others overlook. As for the chrome blue one, aside from the pics I have on my website, I took these awhile back to show the difference between Chrome Blue and Electric Blue. The Electric Blue one is a 1995, and the Chrome Blue is a 2003. The 2 colors are VERY often mislabeled by sellers, used interchangeably, and even called Lake Placid Blue sometimes... but all 3 are very different colors. The year of manufacture will give your best clue as to which blue you are looking at, but when you see Chrome Blue and Electric Blue side by side, the differences are obvious. Total sidetrack to the original post here, but what the hell... you asked! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strat-Slinger likes this.
  9. joeybsyc

"Fullerton contours are characterized by the very deep rounded rear belly cut and the shallow angled arm contour, that is it "starts" closer to the top horn and finishes "before" the strap button, therefore creating a different angle compared to later "Corona" contours. "

Here's a good comparison that shows the difference. The top is the Fullerton contour, bottom is Corona. (Stealing these pics from Stratman323 by the way!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another angle, again... Fullerton on top, Corona on the bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Great looking guitar and another interesting piece of Fender history.

Great to have all the paperwork too.

Congratulations.

11. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

So E3 Am Stds really do exist? Wow, I'd always thought them a myth. Absolute corker of a Torino Red too. Don't think it would be leaving the studio if it were mine. Many congrats again on a great find.

12. joeybsyc

Yep, they do exist! For some reason the myth is that the first American Standards used E4 serial numbers, which is false, as the VERY first ones were indeed E3's. I think because E4's are so much more common and also spanned from early 87 until late '88 that many people think they were the first serials used on the Am Standard line. I have to admit that at one time I too believed this based on Fender folklore I had heard for so long.

13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I think that even more American Standard Teles with E3 serial numbers exist than American Standard Strats - and from what I've read about the Teles Fender couldn't even get full production runs of them out until fairly late in 1987 (the American Standard Strats were eating up much of their production, along with the introduction of the Strat Plus during the first half of 1987).

Also I think that there are more American Standard Strats out there with E3 serial numbers than you will find "real" 1984 CBS-era Standard and Elites with E4 numbers - those models just didn't sell so Fender really never got to the E4 headstock decals and still had some E3 headstock decals left over. I do believe that a few of the bowling ball/swirl models from 1984 did have E4 decals.

Bottom line - there was some indeterminate number of unused decals with E3 prefixes on them in the materials that FMIC bought, but the runs of decals with the E4 prefixes were virtually untouched. The numbers of E3s left and the numbers of E4s use must have varied widely across Strats, Teles, Precision Basses, and Jazz Basses - all of which had Standard and Elite versions under CBS and all of which eventually had American Standard versions under FMIC.

14. yanksbuddy

yanksbuddy Strat-O-Master

The paper work looks new though it was done 20+ years ago,guitar looks in great shape,enjoy!

15. joeybsyc

Thanks.. and no, I didn't get it for the original price.. ;)

16. rickfrl

rickfrl Strat-O-Master

Very, Very cool.

17. coltonb

coltonb Strat-Talk Member

Nice strat I love the colour

18. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for that I have wondered about the different carves.

And obviously, a great find congrats. I love that RW board. Now play the hell out of it.

19. marshallfender

marshallfender Strat-Talker

Here's that E4 with the gloss neck. Twins!!

Attached Files:

20. joeybsyc

Nice! Looks to have Fullerton curves as well!.... Pardon me if I already asked this, but do the bridge screws thread directly into the body wood without brass inserts? I'm betting they do. That's gotta be a very early E4 Strat with those features.