NGD! One of the first American Standard Strats ever made!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by joeybsyc, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Suomy58

Suomy58 Strat-Talker

Beautiful guitar and a great story, congrats on the new addition to the family!

2. Donald77

Donald77 Senior Stratmaster

Nice info.
    A bit ****ty for the workers tho, getting fired and
    rehired.

3. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

Are the current Corona MIA and Ensenada MIM contours the same as the Corona contours shown above?
    Look to be, anyway.

4. QuiteMoist

QuiteMoist Strat-Talker

Beautiful guitar! A good friend of mine has an 87 and its really nice.

5. marshallfender

marshallfender Strat-Talker

Looks like no inserts to me Joe. Couple more contour shots. Hey are there any dates or info on underside of pick guard? Got me wondering about dates now!! I might have to pop the neck one of these days. Maybe when I change strings. Only problem is I never do! Only if they start breaking. LoL

Attached Files:

6. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

Yep that's definitely an early one. Wanna sell it? ;) Another good indicator of the "direct into wood" bridge screws are the domed heads on them. I believe when the brass inserts were put into production the machine screws had flat/smooth tops vs. the domed heads of the early ones. (more OCD American Standard trivia for ya'll!) The curves and contours are definitely Fullerton style too. And to answer the question of if modern Corona and Mexican contours are the same, generally speaking they are. I've found that the finishing work on the USA ones tend to be a bit more finished (sanded) but the initial cuts are the same. The most current American Standards have even more finish sanding and are actually quite nicely finished. As a side note, the early 90's Corona veneered bodies have sharper (less rounded) edges than the earlier and later non-veneered ones. Oh, and as for markings under the pickguard, yes sometimes (but not always) you may find hand written dates, initials, or even names on the back side... In the 90's and into 2000's you often see an ink stamp with the production date of the pickguard assembly. Then again sometimes you'll find nothing.

7. blueworm

blueworm Senior Stratmaster

Interesting stuff...
    I remember your pewter strat. I believe you said the neck was finished in nitro and the 2 trem screws were directly screwed in the wood - unlike regular American standards. Is it the same with that red one ?

I believe the Fullerton contours on both your strats acknowledges the fact that they would still cut bodies like that in the first months of production in Corona - and that the "left-over bodies from Fullerton factory used for Corona production" is a myth. Since the crew was not numerous back then and they first did 57/62 RIs with the tools Fender bought to CBS I guess they just keep cutting bodies like they used to do with the US RI series. It makes sense that the first Am.Std bodies were made likewise. Now why they finally discontinued the "Fullerton Curve" when they ramped up the American Standard production is unclear... Maybe simply because it was trendy in the 80's to have sharper body curves.

8. MrDon

MrDon Strat-Talker

Wow what a beautiful find. Gorgeous guitar. Enjoy!

9. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Senior Stratmaster

That is beautiful congrats! If it plays as well as my 1986 American Standard Telecaster did than you'll be in heaven.

10. swjake83

swjake83 Strat-Talker

Everything about that strat is perfect! I've never thought about a bright red guitar, but now I'll take a clone! The neck is even sexy! Great guitar.

11. 98BlackStrat

98BlackStrat Senior Stratmaster

You sure know how to capture the beauty of the Stratocaster with photographs. Congrats!

12. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Nice find enjoy!!

13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I think the sharper body contours was probably a mixture of production methods needing to change to keep up the volume (I'm sure it takes longer to cut/sand the rounder contours than the sharper contours) and that sharper contours were the style used on the then-popular Charvel/Jackson, Kramer and Ibanez models in that 1987-1990 era. I suspect it was more cutting down production time; that this look was also in-style made it "easier" for Fender to make the decision to use the sharper contours

14. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

Congrats! That's in amazing shape. What a find!

15. Twosmarts

Twosmarts New Member!

Great Fender info! I'm glad I found this post thru John C. I have been trying to get the history on my '57 Vintage Reissue and now I think I have it. Mine is a two tone Sunburst with a maple neck. The case and case candy are all leftover Fullerton pieces. The neck date is 10-3-85 and the pots are dated R1378535 which would make it one of the first '57 Reissues to come out of Corona. I ordered it locally and received it on January 29, 1986. I had no idea what I had then! I just told the guy that I wanted a Strat that looked like the one Allen Collins played with Lynryd Skynyrd. My receipt shows that I paid 551.25 out the door. Thanks fo the help!

16. Pythonman

Pythonman Strat-Talk Member

Gorgeous Strat bro! And thanks for the updated homepage wallpaper too!!!

I really liked those Strats back in the late 80s when they came out and had a Grafitti yellow AM Std from 1987-88 with a maple neck and at that time it was on of the nicer Strats I'd ever owned. It's one of those, "man I wish I never got rid of that" guitars because as I was later to find out, the really good guitars, the special ones are few and faaaarr between. It sounded right, it played excellently and stayed in tune just fine. Seeing yours has got me really hankering to find another, in any color from that era.

17. codliveroil

codliveroil Strat-Talker

Lovely Look After Her Enjoy !

18. xhefri

xhefri Strat-Talk Member

Fullerton curves

I was searching endlessly tonight regarding these body curves in the mid-1980s. I want to update a section on my website reagarding this subject and want the facts to be right. Here is the thing i find interesting about the Fullerton budy curves - i deal mostly with Strat Plus guitars. We know that actual shipped prodution dated mid to late 1987. I think the eariest neck date i have seen was like June if i remember right. Ok, i just bought a near mint Strat Plus in Fiesta Red. Gorgeous guitar. I had it on the bench, admiring it as we guitars geeks do and then noticed the contour on the butt (ok ok) and it was fat. Pulled out a newer Plus from the 90s and it was totally different. So to confirm what John C wrote i pulled the pickguard and it has the swimming pool route as a Plus should have. Then i pulled my 87 Vintage White player out, it has the fullerton contours as well. Tomorrow i am going to pull every 87 - 88 Plus i have out and look. I did pull out a Surf Green E4 Plus that was close to the front of a stack, which might be really an 88 and it has the Corona Cut (i guess that is what we will call them?)

So what the heck? How can there be a mix of 87-88s out there, some with Fullerton cuts and others with Corona cuts? Wish there was some accurate info on this.

But Fender did some weird things. Like way after the Strat Plus Standard was in full swing and the dust settled on what they consisted of as far as tuners and a full Wilkinson nut, Fende introduced the Strat Plus DX in 1989. The first that came out had a split Wikinson Nut, Sperzel tuners and even the E4 serial numbers. The Standard Strat Plus bybthis time was using E8 and E9 serial numbers. So did some Fullerton cuts get made with swimming pool routes and then get piled up in a back room and then Fender toknthem out and used them in 88 and even early 89 while most all the American Standard and Standard Plus' were using the Corona cuts?????

19. srvsayce78

srvsayce78 Most Honored Senior Member

Happy NGD

20. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

I used to own a '91 Strat Plus in pewter with the Fullerton curve. I never understood why that was, I even started a thread on here to see if anyone had any reasons for it, but it remained a mystery.