NGD! One of the first American Standard Strats ever made!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by joeybsyc, Aug 10, 2013.

1. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

After seeing this thread brought back from the dead this morning, it re-sparked my interest in researching these early guitars some more, especially this one, as it's my earliest American Standard strat, and the lowest serial number I've personally ever seen. Although I've had it for a couple years, I've admittedly never taken it apart. Today curiosity got the best of me and I decided to look into it farther. I unbolted the neck for what I firmly believe was the first time since it was originally assembled in Corona California in 1986. Yes, 1986. While the American Standard wasn't officially shown to the public until late January 1987 at the NAMM show, this one has a neck date of 12-2-86. I've seen one other December 86 dated American Standard neck, but it was several weeks after this one. This is definitely the earliest American Standard neck date I've ever seen, and probably one of the very first production guitars made. There is no paper sticker on the back of the heel as commonly found on US made Fenders of this era, and some odd markings in the neck pocket itself. Looks like a series of letters with "127" underneath. I'm not sure exactly what the marks mean, if they were just inspection marks or something else... but here are a few pics. Sorry for the poor quality, but the date and markings should be pretty clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the trem cavity I also found an ink stamped inspectors mark hidden by the center trem spring. When removed you can clearly see a stamp that reads J. ANDRADE. It appears it was stamped after paint was applied by prior to clearcoat. This caused me to do some more digging, and I discovered this name and stamp turn up on other mid-late 80's USA strats, including a 57 AVRI Mary Kaye someone posted here 4 years ago. I also found a post where someone else had a similar marking on their 1987 Strat, and someone replied:

"J ANDRADE is Jesus Andrade. He was a painter years ago. He is now the Custom shop lead. He has worked at Fender for 35+ years. Guitars had and still do have painters names or initials stamped or stickered in them for accountability in case too many errors were found they knew who did it."

Upon further investigation, Jesus Andrade is indeed the current Group Lead for Fender and Jackson guitars, and presently runs the paint department at the Fender Custom Shop. He has been employed by Fender since 1979. Here's his LinkedIn profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jesus-andrade/4b/184/8b3

Pretty neat stuff!

[​IMG]

2. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Couldn't agree more.

I love this sort of stuff.

3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

You're giving me the itch to take apart my E4.

If only it was this easy getting to the bottom of the origin of mid 80s Contemporaries.

4. Bluesplayer80

Bluesplayer80 Strat-O-Master

Wow thanks for posting that Joeybsyc! Great stuff..... Makes me wonder if there is even possibly a few November '86 dates out there?

5. PowerTube

PowerTube Strat-O-Master

Very nice. And it has the tones Eric Johnson likes. He even said so in his ad.

:)

[​IMG]

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Great stuff; nice to have some photographic evidence of production starting up at the beginning of December 1986 - ahead of the American Standard series "official" debut at the January 1987 NAMM show.

7. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

8. joeybsyc

Ok, now it's getting even MORE interesting. As I mentioned a few posts above, since starting this thread a couple years ago, I have added several more 1987-89 American Standard strats to my collection. I originally described this as Torino Red, as that's the only red that was officially available on the 1987 American Standard Stratocaster. Well, a few months ago I located and purchased another 1987 American Standard in Torino Red, but this one has a maple neck, and an E4 serial. That guitar can be seen in this thread:
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/328487-cherry-first-year-e4-american-standard-strat-case-queen.html

The interesting part came when, for the first time since owning them... I placed my Torino Red/maple neck '87 strat directly beside my Torino Red/rosewood '86 and discovered that the colors are VERY different. So different in fact, I am suspecting that this early production (December 1986) Red strat might not actually be Torino Red at all... And may be Fiesta Red as used on the AVRI strats that would have already been being built alongside this very early production model American Standard. If you look at the pics below you can see the color is considerably more bright and "orangey" on this one than on the maple neck version built just a short time later. I have seen slight color variations from batch to batch of a specific color, and that may be the case here, but the more I compare these 2 reds the more I believe they are 2 completely different colors. I've also been studying 1986 Fiesta Red AVRI Strats, and must admit some of the photos I've found look just about identical to the color on my early production E3 American Standard. Again I apologize for these utterly terrible cell phone photos, but check this out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hackdog

Hackdog New Member!

I have the exact same red with maple neck with a lower serial number E4151** and the Neck date is 8/10/87 so my guess is those two were built nearly a year apart

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  10. Hackdog

Hackdog New Member!

Also do both of those guitars have the Fullerton carve?

11. Natas

Natas Strat-Talker

Wow, what a find. Love the color. Love early Am Stds. Enjoy.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

I thought this must be a zombie thread - I haven't seen Joey on here for a year or so.

[​IMG]

13. joeybsyc

Ha... Joey still exists, although I don't frequent these forums much anymore. I got an e mail notification that someone responded to this old thread so I brought it up...

To answer The above question, My E4 Torino Red/maple does indeed have the earlier "Fullerton Curves".... and you may also be correct about there being a year difference between the 2. I still have never seen another Torino Red as bright and bold as my E3 one though, and believe it may in fact be painted what was called Fiesta Red at the time (late 1986).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    albala likes this.
  14. Pogue_Mahone

Pogue_Mahone New Member!

I just purchased one that matches that description with a cas Pawn Shop find. Traded in two squiars I bought cheap just to tinker on, plus 300 bucks with a case. Im very happy. Neck is dated 5-13-87.

BlueCajun likes this.
  15. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

tres jolie

lonegroover likes this.
  16. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

How thick is the neck? Mine was really thin, 0.81 at the nut or thereabouts.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  17. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely amazing looking guitar...congrats!!!

Laura

Namelyguitar likes this.
  18. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Beautiful time capsule, congratulations

Namelyguitar likes this.
  19. Pogue_Mahone

Pogue_Mahone New Member!

i'll measure it when i get home, but it feels quite thin. pretty effortless using my thumb on the low e

Namelyguitar likes this.
  20. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

That's about right. Mine is dated Feb. '87 and neck thickness is:
    0.814" @ 1st fret
    0.865" @ 12th fret

Namelyguitar likes this.