Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD...oops.

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by longboard blues, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Happy NGD. I'm not sure why you put up a picture of a plastic shovel, or vacuum cleaner, ironing board...whatever that thing is? Anyway HPNGD

\m/:rolleyes:\m/

2. pj1440

pj1440 Strat-Talk Member

Congratulations! I play mine more than any of my other guitars, I have it on a stand next to my desk. So easy to just pick it up and go.

3. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-Talk Member

Yep!
    that’d be fab, thanks.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  4. longboard blues

Damn you, my secret is out!* Shakes fist...*

Stratwrangler likes this.
  5. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

I'll try to remember. If I'll forget please text me to remember. That tremolo can give you hard headaches.

6. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I think it just looks that way because the picture was taken in the southern hemisphere. Everything is reversed south of the equator. It's the same principle that makes their clocks run counter-clockwise.
    :rolleyes::confused:;)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  7. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

Not even in the back of your Ute?

8. longboard blues

ah, yeah, if i had a Ute i'd deffo have an ugly carpet. It's mandatory, ideally one picked up from the roadside.

9. longboard blues

so i took the Steinbergerererer to rehearsal last night, as well as the rejuvenated strat.
    When I pulled the headless one out, I got the predictable mockery from the others - ranging from "where's the rest of your guitar?" to the straightforward "what the actual f**k is that?!". Then I played it, with the amp on the edge of breakup, a heap of reverb, and with a slide. That shut them up. And in a good way.

Well, all apart from the keys player, who said it looked like a cricket bat - an unwise assertion from an Australian, after this week's ashes miracle by a Brit...

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I have one that's very similar. It's a really nice guitar. It has the smoothest fretboard of any I own, almost like it's lubricated. I got a new "headless nut" off eBay for it that takes regular strings.

steinberger_full_crop_1024.jpg

11. longboard blues

Yeah, the fretboard is nice on mine too. Which nut did you get, do you recall? There’s lots available, any issues with the one you chose?

12. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Hmmmm, why'm I thinking you'd also have shut them up playing a Tonika through an Esteban G-10?

[​IMG]

13. Triple Jim

One like this: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=273086919517

Now that you asked I realized that I did have to remove some aluminum to get it to sit low enough to keep the strings against the zero fret. I don't know if they're all like that or if they've been changed since then. It has worked well though. I like the double clamping of the strings, once with the three big clamps and again with the small set screws on the individual strings.

14. longboard blues

oh now i like that.... I do have a hankering for obscure instruments, now i have the full gamut of usual stuff - tele, strat, semihollow, jazzmaster, and now the steinbergerererer with humbuckers. I have a dreadful case of GAS for a backlund... Although I can't push my luck any more, and i WILL have to sell some before buying one of those.

15. longboard blues

yeah. double clamping seems like a good plan.

I'm assuming you removed material from the front side, where the strings exit?

cheers!!

16. Triple Jim

I just looked to refresh my memory. I mainly had to slot the screw holes to position it to sit in the right place and hold the strings down against the zero fret. It got complicated because the holes are countersunk, so I had to oval the countersinks too. Luckily I have a milling machine. I have to think that either my guitar had the screw holes a little off, or it was the headless nut's fault and they've fixed them by now. It's been almost two years, I think.

17. longboard blues

Thanks, Jim.

I'm happy to drop a few bucks as an experiment. If not, i'll grab one from headlessUSA.com.

the only other issue with mine is the tuners are hard to turn when it's nearly in tune - the received wisdom is that a bit of lube on the threads, and also some PTFE washers between the tuning knob and the bridge will sort that.

cheers for your assistance!

l

18. Triple Jim

Agreed... it tunes and holds tune fine, but the actual tuning knobs are just OK. The Wine-O-Matic bridge on my other headless is a lot nicer. Maybe the best tuners of any I have.

hondo_xk-5_xmas_tree.jpg

19. longboard blues

Looks great, what guitar is that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.