NGD - Ovation 12 String Content

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
I just received this Ovation 1866 Legend, purchased used from the 'bay.

Ovation1866.jpg

ovation1866plus.jpeg

Yes, it's a 12 string. My first, and it sounds amazing. It's a bear to tune, but sounds great, especially considering the shallow bowl. They apparently do not make the shallow bowl 12 strings anymore, so I was happy to find this one.

thin.jpg

It's very comfortable to wear, and surprising comfortable to play. We have band practice scheduled for tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying it out there.

Bcorig

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2018
Chino Hills CA
I just received this Ovation 1866 Legend, purchased used from the 'bay.

View attachment 412978

View attachment 412979

Yes, it's a 12 string. My first, and it sounds amazing. It's a bear to tune, but sounds great, especially considering the shallow bowl. They apparently do not make the shallow bowl 12 strings anymore, so I was happy to find this one.

View attachment 412980

It's very comfortable to wear, and surprising comfortable to play. We have band practice scheduled for tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying it out there.
Incredible coincidence I was just discussing with a friend whether I should get a 12. If I did it probably would be an Ovation because of the nut size and I have two 6’s already.
Is this one MIA or MIC? Are you willing to share what it cost?

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
Incredible coincidence I was just discussing with a friend whether I should get a 12. If I did it probably would be an Ovation because of the nut size and I have two 6’s already.
Is this one MIA or MIC? Are you willing to share what it cost?

This one is MIA. I paid $1200. And yeah, it's likely the easiest to play 12 string I've ever had the pleasure to strum!

Bowmap

I nose a thang or two.
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
3rd door down.
12s are my weak spot. Though I do have to admit, I have never played an Ovation 12. I bet it sounds just a good as it looks and being an Ovation... Any ways HNGD.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
This one is MIA. I paid $1200. And yeah, it's likely the easiest to play 12 string I've ever had the pleasure to strum!

I have a mint condition 12 string just like the black Applause 6 string in the OP's photo that I've been considering letting go of.
It's an MIK Elite 2058TX that I picked up for $900 beginning of this year. Need to thin the herd and find that with the gut I'm getting isolation the Ovation back doesn't fit me as well as a dreadnought.

Nadnitram

Most Honored Senior Member
It's a bear to tune, but sounds great, especially considering the shallow bowl.
Congrats! My first 12 was Ovation. I sold it because it was uncomfortable for me, but I've been chasing that awesome tone ever since.

I don't know if this will help, but I use a tuner to set the thicker string, and then tune the octave string by ear. I find it's fairly easy to hear the "wobble" that way. I tune the E, A, D, B strings that way.

Since the B and e strings have matched pairs and not octave strings, I find that tuning one of each pair a few cents flat gives a fuller sound, the 12-string jangle. You'll have to play around with it until you figure out the sound you like. Justin talks about it at 8:55 of this video:

Tdurden032

Strat-O-Master
Jan 5, 2020
St Louis
My very first guitar was an Ovation “celebrity” (I think)?? Great memories of Learning to sight read and playing out my Mel Bay book ;) happy NGD - enjoy and congrats!

Dana Rudd

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 7, 2020
Greybull, WY
Congratulations on a fine new 12-string. I have a fondness for them. My first was a Gibson, then a Martin and then a Gretsch electric.
Enjoy playing. HNGD