NGD - Reverend Six Gun TL

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by keys88, Aug 3, 2021.

1. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I just picked up this Reverend Six Gun on trade and I could not be happier with it. I had a Les Paul Studio that I wasn’t using so I put it up for trade just to see what else was out there. Somebody offered this Reverend plus cash to make up the difference. I was originally wanting to trade for a USA Tele, and I don’t normally go for non-traditionally-shaped guitars so I almost passed on it. But on paper the Six Gun seemed to have a lot of things going for it so I took a chance… and I’m really glad I did.

It has a Korina body, roasted maple neck, Pau Ferro fretboard, Tele bridge pickup, Strat neck and middle pickups, Wilkinson trem and locking tuners. It also has the Reverend bass contour knob, which on this guitar is super useful. The neck has a slim c-profile with a 12” radius and a satin back. Very easy to play. The body has a great balance with no neck-dive. Fit and finish is 100% top notch and it’s in brand new condition.

I love the combination of a Tele bridge pickup with a Strat neck pickup. For me it’s kinda like the best of both worlds. In stock form the Six Gun has a standard 5-way Strat-style switch, which means you miss out on that Tele middle position tone. So I added the Gilmour mod with a mini toggle to turn on the neck pickup. So I can have the bridge and neck together, or even all pickups on at once.

The pickups themselves are on the modern side. Perfect for modern country and blues with a cranked amp. But when you roll the contour knob down it lowers the bass and reduces output, giving you more of a vintage vibe and some really nice clean tones. But what’s really cool is you can set up your normal tone with the bass contour turned down a bit. Then when you roll it up it adds thickness, volume and gain. Going from 0-to-10 on the contour knob is like kicking on a boost pedal. You can go from rhythm to lead with a twist of a knob.

And the kicker… with the extra cash he threw in I was able to pick up a pedal I’ve had my eye on - a VS Audio Blackbird. I love my Marshall Bluesbreaker but I’ve been looking for a way to add some Fender tones to the mix. It should be here in a few days and I can’t wait to check it out. There are a bunch of videos out there, but Shane does a review on his InTheBlues YouTube channel where he uses it with a Marshall combo. At one point he starts riffing on Slow Dancing in a Burning Room with a Strat. When I heard “that tone” come out of a Marshall DSL it sold me on the Blackbird.

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Pictures don't work for me but that shouldn't harm you NGD! I hope she plays wonderfully!

3. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Oops. Accidentally made the album private. Does it work now?

Nick-O likes this.
  4. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Senior Stratmaster

I have a reverend charger hb
    and I love it....
    well made guitars
    enjoy......

IMG_1496.JPG

3bolt79, Caedarn, fos1 and 4 others like this.
  5. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

That's sexy!

6. daytonian

daytonian Strat-Talker

I have the exact same Six Gun. I picked it up used on CL, virtually un-played. I was shocked how good it sounds. Refuses to go out of tune. Great neck. Reverend have their $h/t together. The bridge and middle position is a sound no Strat will ever have.

Boyd L likes this.
  7. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Totally agree. It's quacky like a Strat but it's got more bite and sparkle with the Tele pickup in the bridge. It's cool.

The guy had lost the trem arm so I haven't been able to give it a full workout yet (I have a replacement one coming in the mail from Reverend). But just pushing and pulling on the bridge with my hand I'm thoroughly impressed. I haven't been able to get it to go out of tune yet.

8. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

Nice. I echo all the positive comments about Reverend guitars. My Trick Shot is a joy to play and was since the first time I picked it up.

Is your bridge pickup a Greasy T?

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Great looking guitars. I have a bass player I am trying to get onboard with my next project and half of why is his Reverend basses.

keys88 likes this.
  10. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

The bridge is a Talnico pickup, which is Reverend's take on early 50's Tele tone. With the bass contour up it drives my amp harder than a true vintage-voiced pickup would. But with the contour rolled all the way down it does have a more vintage quality to it. The middle and neck pickups are Salnicos, which are supposed to be traditional Strat-style pickups with slightly more warmth.

3bolt79 and Boyd L like this.
  11. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Congrats! My Reverend Descent is that same color (Medieval Red), it’s a great color. I’ve got 8 Reverends now, I love them all! You just can’t go wrong with them. I know you’re gonna love it even more as time goes on. :thumb:

3bolt79 and keys88 like this.
  12. daytonian

daytonian Strat-Talker

My only complaint is a lack of pick guard choices. Seems like Reverend or someone would have them, but look, they are scarce.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Congrats and HNGD!

keys88 likes this.
  14. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Yeah, they've had a couple different styles over the years. You'd think they'd have the different pickguards available as an accessory item.

It's not ideal but there are companies out there who will cut a new pickguard in a variety of materials and colors. You just need to send them your current pickguard so they can use it as a template. The downside of course is that your guitar sits there disassembled until the new pickguard arrives.

15. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Pickguardian.com has lots of pickguards for many Reverend models. I just bought one for my 2020 Charger HB in purple. The 2019’s had the pickguard and the newer ones don’t. I really liked the look of the PG so I had to buy a new black one. I think it’s just one guy making them and it takes awhile to get it.