NGD Sherwood Green but....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 6stringnate, Oct 29, 2020.

1. 6stringnate

6stringnate Strat-Talk Member

Hello all just received a CME players strat I ordered from Amazon. I’ve been looking for a Sherwood green strat for a while and found one on Amazon this week. I usually never pay more than $400 for any MIM, however I had to have this color so I paid $600. Now the bad news, unboxed and found a decent sized ding/chip just under the input jack...damn it! Guitar was advertised as new condition, I feel it was damaged in transit. Debating weather to keep or return. I’ve had a hell of a time finding a Sherwood green strat. Most of the Sherwood Green Strats I see are severely reliced so one thought is that this one just has a head start. I need opinions on these three considerations. Thanks for your opinions.

1. Keep it and eat the new price tag & damage.

2. Return it for a refund and spend another $1200 and go Mod Shop.

3. Buy a used Avri

Attached Files:

2. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

If you like the way it feels and sounds, I would ask for a discount if you can live with the dent. If it bothers you, then return it. If they don't discount it, then return it. The mod shop doesn't seem like a bad deal just know that if there is a problem with it, you have to send the whole thing back. They WILL NOT send a replacement part though. I know I read several post on reddit about the mod shop as well as I read one here on this forum, but all of them seem to have negative experiences

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master Silver Member

That ding would drive me crazy, I’d return it.
    Cool color for sure.

jrbirdman, Miotch, Neil.C and 3 others like this.
  4. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I had a great Mod Shop experience. See the blue guitar in my avatar.

That said, OP, nobody can tell you what you can tolerate in terms of damage to the guitar. It clearly wasn't in new condition, so you have every right to make the return. I personally would return it. I take really good care of my gear, and so I don't have dings like that happen while they're in my hands.

5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

Option 1, 2 or 3 – whichever you choose, you will be a winner!

6. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Knee jerk is .... return it. BUT, Depends on how much you like it. If its a good one tone wise and you exchange it the "new" might be a dud. All be it a flawless dud. Toss up I say. You'd probably ding it eventually anyway right. At least its not some awful thing on the front. Or, a ding in the neck that you can feel when you play. (hate that!)

jbylake likes this.
  7. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

That's a bummer, especially on such a beautiful guitar! I once ordered a "like new" Strat body from a reputable seller, but it arrived with the strap button on the upper horn bent under with significant damage to the finish on the underside of the horn....obviously a shipping problem but hard to understand as the packaging was great. The seller offered to take it back, but I wanted it anyway, so I put in a claim with the USPS with photos of the damage, statements from the seller, and all the details of the transaction. They gave me a $200 refund without delay. I was able to refinish the damaged area (with filler and fingernail polish) and also filled and re-drilled the strap button hole and installed a new strap button. It wasn't a perfect fix, but it was under the upper horn and not readily visible. It then went into the build I was doing and it came out beautiful. Since I rarely looked at the area of the damage after that, I was very happy with the outcome. It's difficult to ignore damage that you know is there, but other qualities of the guitar CAN make a little damage tolerable. It is obviously your decision, but if you do decide to keep it I hope you can get some sort of refund!! That color rocks!!

8. integra evan

integra evan Senior Stratmaster

Return it and get it from CME...dont they have them in stock?

Lewbypls likes this.
  9. 6stringnate

Great advice from all, thank you. Contacted CME this is a color exclusive to them right now and they have been sold out for a while. Since I bought it through Amazon, they said it’s either keep or return for a full refund which is a nice option, no partial refund or exchange available since the color is unavailable anywhere. I’m going to set it up and give it a good test run. Since I have had trouble finding this color if it passes the sound and feel test I’ll probably put some legit wear on it.

soulman969 and Lewbypls like this.
  10. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

[​IMG]
    I just picked one of these up. Maybe it’s a Canadian special edition. Maybe check on getting one?

11. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I would keep it and ask for discount or replacement if source has more.

But I'm going blind so that bump doesn't mean much to me.

I got a two tone burst from Dave's and it had a similar bump on the other side (top bout), has been a favorite player for several years.

Difficult thing to give advice on.

12. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Play and if you like it, keep it.

13. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Find a Strat you like and paint it Sherwood Green.....I did just that with a Tele. Rather than search forever for a Surf Green Tele with specs I wanted I had mine painted Nitro Surf Green.....

Strip your guitar and have it done or buy Nitro Sherwood Green from ReRanch along with their primer and sealer and do it yourself.

My Tele, Made to order....So to speak....

8A65EE5B-1E08-495E-B572-54742018CBFC.jpeg

14. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Return it and build a partcaster in the colour you want would be my advice. For the price of a mod shop strat from Fender you’d get a decent warmouth or MJT build I should think

15. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Return it. I wouldn't eat $600 for a dinged MIM, even it were my favorite color.

Mod shop will run you some good $1700+ though... AVRI probably on the $1000+ territory if you find one.

You can always partscaster it... If you're good with MIM, I'd get any used RW MIM strat for $300-400, buy a Warmoth body for <$400, then sell the finished MIM body to recoup some of the cost...

that's what I would do.
    I assembled a full guitar from Warmoth parts and will tell you it's top notch.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Miotch, nickmsmith and crawdaddy like this.
  16. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I got mine and youre a bit right, all Sherwood Greens are dinged. Mine was.

I would return it. Such a bummer.

Attached Files:

• 62.jpg
      62.jpg
      File size:
      158.8 KB
      Views:
    crawdaddy likes this.
  17. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Dude, theyre outta stock on CME, just checked.

18. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

To the Oap. That would bug the hello it of me. I’d return it.

crawdaddy likes this.
  19. mjea80

mjea80 Lost In The Light Silver Member

You paid for a new guitar so you should be receiving a new guitar. Unless they’re willing to discount you a lot Id send it back.

Nice looking guitar though btw. :)

crawdaddy likes this.
  20. 6stringnate

Great advice by all. I’m going to take the weekend to think it over. Leaning towards returning it and going the warmoth route. I guess I will have to be patient and get what will truly make me satisfied.

Miotch and nickmsmith like this.