NGD Sienna Sunburst Am Std

Bill ANN

Strat-Talker
May 5, 2020
NJ
Sweet Sienna Strat!

I would love the hear your comparison of the AM Pro vs. the AM STD.

I had a 2011 AM STD maple neck, and now have a 2014 AM STD (rosewood 3tsb) myself.

Numbercruncher

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2017
Spokane, WA
View attachment 534059 View attachment 534060 View attachment 534061 View attachment 534062 View attachment 534063 Couldn’t resist! I have seen this guitar in my local GC for over a month and decided to do it! Traded in my ‘18 Am Pro 3TSB/rosewood for this ‘09 Sienna Sunburst Am Std/maple. Did it yesterday, love it! Plays/sounds great.

Not OHSC, but the vintage tweed one is nice.

BTW I have never seen the “Made in America” /American flag stickers on the back of the headstock, have you?

Sienna Sunburst = Cool.

Nice score.

NC

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Sweet Sienna Strat!

I would love the hear your comparison of the AM Pro vs. the AM STD.

I had a 2011 AM STD maple neck, and now have a 2014 AM STD (rosewood 3tsb) myself.
The below pic is what I traded in, my ‘18 Am Pro.
Anyway, besides the Am Pro and the Am Std both being Strats, the difference is in the neck. The frets in the Am Std are medium jumbo vs the narrow tall in the Am Pro. ( Forgot the fret wire numbers). I knew how the Am Pro felt because I had one of those necks on a previous guitar, but I feel the Am Std neck is slightly more comfortable to me, maybe because of the frets, and the neck profile feels ever so slightly thinner. ( Fender’s modern C on the Std vs the deep C on the Pro. )

Other minor details are the Pro’s push in/pull off trem bar vs the Std’s traditional screw in type, not an issue.

I know pickups can be highly subjective, but I like the pups in the Std a little bit better vs the V Mod pups in the Pro.

The Std definitely feels lighter than the Pro, weight wise. I always thought Ash was more dense than Alder, but the Std definitely feels lighter in my hands.

Thats really it. I couldn’t resist the looks of the Sienna, plus I wanted a Strat with a maple fingerboard again. When I was playing the Pro, I was just ok with the guitar, not excited, but between the looks of the Sienna, and how great it plays, its a win win! I just didn’t connect too much with the Pro. Its funny how basically the same type of guitar can feel so different! Also, I have a rosewood Am Pro neck lying around that someday I’ll make a partscaster with anytime.

So that’s it, hope that helps!
B53DA65F-71EF-43F8-B66B-8F286C5D9AF1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill ANN

Strat-Talker
May 5, 2020
NJ
Very thorough write up! I love the modern C neck on my 2014 AM STD too, for my hands one of the best necks out there! Finally purchased a 2021 AM PRO II Telecaster. The neck and frets are very different and take getting used to. It sounds great and I am very happy with it. Surprisingly the modern C feels more comfortable, but I swear i can play faster on the Deep C? Oh well, congrats!

publius

Strat-Talker
Jul 21, 2020
in absentia
I agree with your choice. The neck is definitely sweet. The feel and balance of the guitar is marvelous. Mine is a 2009 model as well. I was thinking about changing out the very white knobs and pup covers to that aged white.

Mine did not come with the original case but I picked up the correct configuration in an SKB branded case......shown in the pic as well....

Congratulations.

SiennaStrat_In Case_2640 copy.JPG

Last edited:

sgarnett

Senior Stratmaster
May 19, 2019
Versailles, KY
I tried a gorgeous Sienna a few years ago, with a Callaham bridge. I went back the next day to buy it, but it was gone. Nice score!

I’m curious about the pine-bodied Am Pro II Sienna and thought about ordering one … a day or so before the price hike. Oh well. I’m still curious, but I’ll probably drop the money on diesel injectors for my truck instead. Grrrr.

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Very thorough write up! I love the modern C neck on my 2014 AM STD too, for my hands one of the best necks out there! Finally purchased a 2021 AM PRO II Telecaster. The neck and frets are very different and take getting used to. It sounds great and I am very happy with it. Surprisingly the modern C feels more comfortable, but I swear i can play faster on the Deep C? Oh well, congrats!
Thanks!

I have a ‘17 Am Pro Tele my wife just got me for Christmas, ( posted in the Tele section), so I have that narrow tall fretted/deep C neck ready to play too, and when I A/B the two guitars, the Strat is more comfortable, feels more natural, but of course the Tele is by no means a deal breaker! Nice to switch back and forth.

Last edited:

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
I agree with your choice. The neck is definitely sweet. The feel and balance of the guitar is marvelous. Mine is a 2009 model as well. I was thinking about changing out the very white knobs and pup covers to that aged white.

Mine did not come with the original case but I picked up the correct configuration in an SKB branded case......shown in the pic as well....

Congratulations.

View attachment 534375
Thanks! Its funny, I always thought I would like aged plastics, my ‘18 Am Pro had them from the factory, and it had a mint green pickguard, but the aged plastics just seemed “out of place” for a guitar that was so brand new looking. I liked it obviously when I bought it, but after awhile it was like “ehhh”, at least for me.

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
I tried a gorgeous Sienna a few years ago, with a Callaham bridge. I went back the next day to buy it, but it was gone. Nice score!

I’m curious about the pine-bodied Am Pro II Sienna and thought about ordering one … a day or so before the price hike. Oh well. I’m still curious, but I’ll probably drop the money on diesel injectors for my truck instead. Grrrr.
Thats what I thought, for sure the guitar was gone by now, its been there since late November/early December, but I brought my ‘18 along just in case, I lucked out.

Ohhh, priorities getting in the way. Ouch diesel injectors… Cummins, Duramax, Power Stroke?

sgarnett

Senior Stratmaster
May 19, 2019
Versailles, KY
Thats what I thought, for sure the guitar was gone by now, its been there since late November/early December, but I brought my ‘18 along just in case, I lucked out.

Ohhh, priorities getting in the way. Ouch diesel injectors… Cummins, Duramax, Power Stroke?
It’s the dreaded Powerstroke 6.0. Already has recent ARP studs and a bunch of other work, so I’m pot-committed. Wouldn’t have spent the money if truck prices weren’t so crazy right now

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Update: ( If anyone cares lol)

I returned the Sienna a week later. After playing it every day for a week, I actually do like the Am Pro deep C/ narrow tall fret neck just a little better than the Am Std’s modern C/ medium jumbo fret neck.

I just really missed my ‘18 Am Pro, so I went back to GC, returned the Sienna, and got my Am Pro and my money back! She’s back, keepin’ my Tele company.
Its funny, pretty much the same components, etc as an Am Std but the Pro feels noticably heavier?!

( And as a side note, my ‘17 Am Pro Tele has the same spec neck as the ‘18 Am Pro Strat, but it feels thicker for some reason ( both deep C’s) 4C07A333-6930-46F2-8AD1-F2F45BB3FA1F.jpeg

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Update: ( If anyone cares lol)

I returned the Sienna a week later. After playing it every day for a week, I actually do like the Am Pro deep C/ narrow tall fret neck just a little better than the Am Std’s modern C/ medium jumbo fret neck.

I just really missed my ‘18 Am Pro, so I went back to GC, returned the Sienna, and got my Am Pro and my money back! She’s back, keepin’ my Tele company.
Its funny, pretty much the same components, etc as an Am Std but the Pro feels noticably heavier?!

( And as a side note, my ‘17 Am Pro Tele has the same spec neck as the ‘18 Am Pro Strat, but it feels thicker for some reason ( both deep C’s) View attachment 546778
Everything is as it should be :) Congrats on getting your old guitar back!