Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD Strat Plus

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Cerb, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JasonSD

JasonSD Strat-Talker

Here is my ebony frost. I modded it quite a bit.

Attached Files:

Brian H, Cerb and T Bone Slort like this.
  2. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My best friend at the time, and guy who got me into playing electric got an '89 Plus Deluxe in pewter for an early graduation present. Silver Lace Sensors, pretty much what Clapton was playing then without the gold and mid boost.

Until I bought my '76 hardtail (avatar), it was the sweetest Strat I'd ever played. I've been looking for that exact model ever since, and I have seen them but never in my price range.

Got saved searches on 'verb and 'bey (and others), and keep my eyes open.

Cerb likes this.
  3. JasonSD

JasonSD Strat-Talker

I have a pewter one too. Second guitar I ever bought. Bought it brand new in 1988. Mine has a rosewood fretboard. Mine isn't a deluxe though.

Cerb likes this.
  4. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Open it up, lets see the guts and neck stamp!!!!

That'll tell us straight away the pickups 'colour'

Cerb likes this.
  5. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

I think I'm confused.
    I thought the Plus came out first, then was superseded by the Plus Deluxe? Now I'm thinking they ran concurrently after the Deluxe came out?

Cerb likes this.
  6. beaz

beaz Strat-Talk Member

I think the plus came out in 87 the plus deluxe in 89 and ultra 90.they ran till around 98-99.

7. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Which goes to show just how much I like my Plus. ;)

Cerb likes this.
  8. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Did they supersede each other? I guess not, cause my Plus is a 90.
    I think, after 89 you could get a Plus or a Plus Deluxe. the Plus had the gold pups; Plus Deluxe, the red, silver, blue (and maybe pearloid guard).

Cerb likes this.
  9. beaz

beaz Strat-Talk Member

No they didn't supersede each other you could get both and the ultra which was part of the plus range.

Cerb likes this.
  10. beaz

beaz Strat-Talk Member

20160730_150207.jpg my 88 fiesta red strat plus

T Bone Slort and Cerb like this.
  11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Just to fill in the history a little bit - all of these were the "deluxe" models that Fender had available until early 1998; they were replaced by the American Deluxe series some time between January 1998 and July 1998 (the old Lace Sensor models are on the January price sheet, and the American Deluxes are on the July price sheet); I think the American Deluxes were out by March - I got one of the first to hit the city I was living in at the time in early May of 1998.

Okay - there were eventually 3 of the "Plus" models, and they came out at various times:

• Strat Plus - introduced mid-1987. 3 gold logo Lace Sensors, roller nut, locking tuners, American Standard tremolo. Roller nut starts out as "split" Wilkinson (single roller for wound strings, 2 rollers for plain strings); by end 1987 switch to "full" Wilkinson nut (2 rollers for all strings); switch to LSR roller nut in early 1993. Locking tuners are Sperzels; at some point end 1987/early 1988 switch to Fender/Schaller tuner (although Sperzels will be mixed in at random until at least 1995). Add the Hipshot Tremsetter around 1989 (maybe 1990). Change to pearloid pickguards around fall 1993/spring 1994.
    • Strat Plus Deluxe - introduced 1989. Originally 2 silver logo and 1 blue logo (bridge position) Lace Sensors; Wilkinson nut, Schaller locking tuners (again Sperzels at random), American Standard tremolo. By 1990 switch to the blue/silver/red logo Lace Sensor set (blue is now neck position; red is bridge position); change to "Deluxe Tremolo" with snap-in trem arm. Probaby Hipshot tremsetter starts here. Change to LSR nut in early 1993, change to "Fender/Floyd Rose" locking tremolo in fall 1993 (may be optional - most that I've come across after this point in time have the Fender/Floyd Rose trem) and Tremsetter removed; change to pearloid pickguard at this time.
    • Strat Ultra - introduced mid-1990. Blue/gold/dual red Lace Sensor set; extra 3-way mini-toggle for the Dual Lace (lets you select front, both, or rear "coil" of the dual Lace Sensors. Chromed hardware (Wilkinson nut and saddles on the Deluxe Tremolo). Change to LSR nut in early 1993, change to Fender/Floyd Rose trem in fall 1993 (note that neither of these are fully chromed). Note - also can have Sperzel tuners (chromed ones) at random. Change to pearloid pickguards in fall 1993 also.
    As I mentioned these were replaced by the American Deluxes in the spring of 1998 - Xhifri and don't disagree on much, but I think he has them going through to 1999. I suspect that there might have been some ordered in early 1998 before they were officially discontinued that trickled out, or he hasn't gone back and corrected the serial number screw-up where Fender used "N9" decal by accident instead of "N0" decals in 1990-91).

Rob Moreno, albala and Cerb like this.
  12. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Strat-O-Master

Wow trippy encounter, but a success

Cerb likes this.
  13. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Grat history lesson. Thank you!

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

14. JasonSD

JasonSD Strat-Talker

You know Glenn Campbell had a blue pearl burst strat plus also.

Attached Files:

15. knh555

A minor thing, but my '95 has a non-pearl pickguard from the factory. Other than removing the tremsetter, it's still stock. Set up properly, it stays in tune just fine w/out it and I think it's not worth the trouble to get the tremsetter adjusted well given the limited value. Some people think it's hurts tone. I have not opinion on that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Cerb likes this.
  16. Cerb

Why did you remove the tremsetter? It seens to work pretty well. Only because of set up issues?

17. Cerb

Out of curiosity pulled the pickguard. The pickups are silver, silver blue and pots are dated week 18 1989. I had no intention of removing the neck but couldn't get the scratchplate off if I didn't the neck looks like it's dated June 1 1993 but i guess it could also be a smudged 1989. The serial number on the headstock indicates 1989.

Now I've set it up and put on new strings, I'll go try it through the real amp :D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. knh555

My luthier told me it sucks tone. I can’t confirm that really, but I have no tuning issues without it and it sounds great, so I’m not going to bother installing again. It seems to solve a problem that I don’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerb likes this.
  19. Cerb

Speaking of... What do you do to a roller nut where the strings (g and b) are binding?

20. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Thx, that's great.

Mine is one of the N9 serials from 1990. I kinda like this oddity as it adds some quirky character.

Still totally stock and has the tremsetter and larger Wilkinson nut.

Cerb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.