NGD! SX SST57 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by valvestate, Nov 20, 2020 at 1:56 AM.

1. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

I'm absolutely digging my new SX SST57 Stratocaster. I can't imagine how affordable it is for an amazing instrument! The neck although on the fat side, just feels so great, pickups are very quite and Strat-like chimey bell like tones. Neck tone is heavenly!

Out of the box, the action was stupidly set very high, like 3.0mm high. :eek::D Why would the Chinese do this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just some few issues though:

1. I noticed that the bridge is misaligned. Is this something that I need to spend sometime to fix it or just leave it? I honestly did not notice it until somebody pointed it out and now it slowly making me OCD'ed when I look at it
    [​IMG]

2. The switch is very stiff, I need a bit of effort to switch back and forth from bridge to neck pickup. Can a contact cleaner/ WD40 fix this?

3. I can't seem to lower down the action to 1.4 or 1.5mm, it will buzzz if I lower it further. Is it this just the way it is? I don't have any idea what's the radius of this SX Stratocaster.
    [​IMG]

I'm satisfied nonetheless, it has some issues with frets but I still find it that this is a keeper for sure! Just for the awesome vintage white color, neck and pickups are well worth the price I paid.

Cheers!

frozensoda, JJ119, Caddy and 6 others like this.
  2. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

The bridge might not be misaligned (1). It can be a misaligned pickguard but the edges compared to the body look good to me. A easy solution can be to remove some of the pickguard materal parallel to the bridge with a file and sandpaper to make the distance appear equal.

1 Can you show us what the tremolo looks like at the rear of the body?

Nice guitar. Just needs a setup. Maybe the frets need leveling.

vid1900 likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The radius doesn't make any difference to how low you can get the action. Level frets do. The action is set at 3mm for a good reason. :)

The bridge being slightly misaligned (though it most likely isn't) can compensated for when setting the intonation.

valvestate likes this.
  4. verybadplayer

verybadplayer Strat-Talk Member

I do not recommend using WD40 at all, I have done it on mine and now there is no friction whatsoever.

5. chris64

chris64 Strat-Talk Member

Wow pretty guitar!
    Is that from Rondo music?
    Good luck!

valvestate likes this.
  6. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

1. Do you mean the saddles are misaligned, or the bridge plate in relation to the pickguard right in front of it? I don't know if you have noticed this, but both lines seem to be not perfectly parallel. I would guess it's the pickguard cut in that area and not the bridge. As for the saddles, they can probably be straightened in the next string change/setup. In case the bridge is really misaligned, this is something that can be lived with and compensated with the intonation adjustment, although I probably wouldn't be able to live with it.

2. These switches are generally stiff. I had one guitar exactly like this, it's just how the switch is. I wouldn't mess with it, unless you completely replace it with another.

3. These fretboards are generally pretty flat, but this doesn't affect action too much. I would check the relief, try to see how straight the neck is or isn't, check the height at the saddles and nut, and how level the frets are.

valvestate likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

1.4-1.5mm action is usually never possible on a Strat anyway......more like 1.6-1.7 to 2mm

valvestate likes this.
  8. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Its difficult for me to set the action any lower than 2 mm. I like to play a bit heavy handed at times, and therefore the strings will buzz when too low.

Try not too look at the bridge / pickguard thing. It's not an issue.

valvestate likes this.
  9. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Oh. And Very pretty! Love it.

valvestate likes this.
  10. LTBanger4

LTBanger4 Strat-Talker

Happy NGD! Very nice looking guitar.

valvestate likes this.
  11. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thank you! I will give it a go in the next string change :)

For the frets, yeah I see some tall frets, I guess I can just live with it for now. You think steel wool will help in leveling it a bit?

Is this what you meant for the tremolo? [​IMG]

12. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Ok cool. I guess I'm in the ballpark then ;)

I set dead straight with minimal relief or almost zero. I feel that it is just much easier to play. Does that contribute with some fret buzzes? It's not that noticeable from amplifier but if I hit hard, it can get some minimal buzzing.

I guess for this cheapo price, I should not expect too much with proper fret leveled ey? :D

13. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thank you. Yeah point #1 appears to be just the pickguard which I'm cool with that. I can just perhaps replace it in the future with a parchment color or mint ;)

rafasounds likes this.
  14. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thank you!

Just got it from one of the local store here in Singapore

15. Guitarmageddon

Yes, that will contribute to fret buzz below the 10th or 11th fret....you need some relief.....that's why necks are set with relief, to give a little extra clearance over the next fret when you're playing the middle of the neck....

valvestate and Groovey like this.
  16. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Ouch. Sometimes this is what I dislike with Stratocasters. you really need to compensate your overall playing style to compensate with thr buzzes :(

Never had any issues with my LP nor Ibanez.

17. Guitarmageddon

I set my Strats and Epiphone/Gibson the same way - always .010" relief, always 1.95mm string height on all 6 strings....you don't NEED super low action, and actually once you get used to this, it plays better and notes ring out more.....and it's only like 20% higher maximum than what people might call "super low action"....I play the same style on both and set them up the same way.....

I wouldn't want an LP or Ibanez set up with super low action, it feels funny to me.....but I've been playing for 27 years, not sure about your experience level.....

Caddy, Dreamdancer and valvestate like this.
  18. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Love that Strat! Where did you order yours?

I bought a SX Strat used off of Craigslist--it still had the plastic on the pickguard! I'd order one like yours with no second thoughts--mine has a chunky neck and plays really well!

SX Salmon.jpg

valvestate likes this.
  19. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Mine also has a chunky neck! I love the feel of it, very VERY comfortable.

I purchased mine from a shop here in Singapore. This was their very last Vintage White piece and they said that they may not be able to order anymore due to the Covid situation.

Got lucky :D

FrieAsABird and Blackmore Fan like this.
  20. Mervynskidmore

Mervynskidmore Strat-Talk Member

How are the tuners ? They look to be different from the older models that I've had. They used to be the only thing that you definitely had to upgrade. These SX strats are fantastic value.

Lovely guitar though and happy playing.