NGD...Tele Professional

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Shades of Blue, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Overall, I love the look in person and it feels really nice. Plays great, and I am pretty happy with the purchase for the price. My only issue are these pickups. What’s the scoop on the V Mods? I find the neck really underpowered and the bridge seems hot, but lacking punch and crispness. The guitar resonates pretty well, so I imagine that would translate well to another set of pickups.

I’m digging the look though. Maybe not as much as the AO 60s, but it’s still a pretty awesome Tele for the price. Oh, and I LOVE the new bridge. That cut out makes all the difference in the world, and is one reason I never bonded with some vintage Teles, as I found it difficult to palm mute.

Any pickup suggestions? I’m thinking Pure Vintage 64s because I love the Pure Vintage 65 Strat pickups in my 61 Thin Skin Strat.

Attached Files:

2. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I felt the same way my new 2019 American Professional Stratocaster.

My favorite looking/feeling Stratocaster that I’ve owned but I was not fond of the overly bright and less vintage sounding VMod pickups.

I was planning to change out at least the neck pickup but I lowered it (really low) and now I’m finding the tone acceptable.

In my opinion, and to my taste, the VMod pickups are the only thing lacking with these guitars.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  3. Shades of Blue

Interesting because I was just experimenting and found this out too. With the volume lowered to about 75%, I’m getting exactly what I want to hear. Roll the volume up any further and there’s a fatness that I’m not jiving with. Maybe the key is riding the volume low and thinning them out.

The Strat Dude likes this.
  4. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

No suggestions on pickups...but just wanted to say that is a great looking tele! HNGD! Thanks for giving me more GAS.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  5. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Very cool! Congrats and enjoy!

If you're after Fender pickups then I would suggest Pure Vintage 58 or CS Twisted Tele. Aftermarket look at Mare and Lollar.

6. Shades of Blue

I’ll look into the 58s. I’m a huge fan of Pure Vintage pickups.

The bridge V Mod is growing on me, but the neck is just way too weak. Over 7 for the bridge and the neck is only at 5.