Ngd - transition content

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
So it was actually yesterday, but I had a bunch of errands to run, including getting the guitar a good setup.

Here she is, my new to me 65 strat, along with my 60 and 55 (skipping by 5s a thing for collecting?)

View attachment 590122

I never would have imagined spending this much money on a guitar.... helps that it was already sunk money, in that I sold my '63 LP Custom and '69 strat to fund the majority of the purchase.
I hate you! ;)

I'm kiddin'. I doubt I'll ever own one, let alone three, but it puts a smile on my face seeing the photo.
Thanks, they're beauties.

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
Inside A Parallel Universe
I hate you! ;)

I'm kiddin'. I doubt I'll ever own one, let alone three, but it puts a smile on my face seeing the photo.
Thanks, they're beauties.

I never thought I would own a vintage instrument either. I remember a local 'pawn shop' named Don's Pawn. They specialized in 'used instruments'. It was the first time I had seen a '63 strat in person (selling for $3200!!! - this would have been around 92-93). I bought a few custom shop guitars and over time, the combined value added up... and I traded 5 guitars in for my first vintage strat! If it's something you want, be patient, wait for the right deal, and don't lose sight of your goal.

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
Wow - your OW is the twin of my CAR, right down to the clean condition and the uncracked green guard.

Both are CTS Wk14 ’65 pots and March 65 neck date. Even got that the bluey/green inky smudge by the 5 on the neck stamp.

Can I just ask if yours also has clay side dots - that would be a serious match-up.
View attachment 590508
In which case I think I also know it sounds killer - especially the neck p'up to die for.

Mine's L85..... which sadly is far from being my birth year;)

thats awesome that we have related guitars!!! it would be cool if my guitar had clay dots, but alas, she has pearl dots. the guitar is more precbs than it is CBS though.

I'm really happy with the neck on it. it's kinda on the thinner side. I was a little worried it would be a chunky C like my jaguar, which is not my favorite neck shape. I like fat maple necks, but prefer thinner rosewood necks.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
I never thought I would own a vintage instrument either. I remember a local 'pawn shop' named Don's Pawn. They specialized in 'used instruments'. It was the first time I had seen a '63 strat in person (selling for $3200!!! - this would have been around 92-93). I bought a few custom shop guitars and over time, the combined value added up... and I traded 5 guitars in for my first vintage strat! If it's something you want, be patient, wait for the right deal, and don't lose sight of your goal.
This is good advice. I traded 5 guitars when I got my ‘65 Strat. The key is to buy good stuff that will retain or increase its value over time. And don’t do a bunch of mods. I learned that the hard way.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
I'm really happy with the neck on it. it's kinda on the thinner side. I was a little worried it would be a chunky C like my jaguar, which is not my favorite neck shape. I like fat maple necks, but prefer thinner rosewood necks.
Does is have a rather extreme taper? My ‘65, which is dated APR65 is very dainty at the first fret, around .80, then tapers all the way up to .98 at the 12th fret, where it feels very substantial with more shoulder. I’ve played a few other late ‘64s and ‘65s that seem to have this same taper.

I love it. It felt a bit odd at first, but now I really dig it.

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
Does is have a rather extreme taper? My ‘65, which is dated APR65 is very dainty at the first fret, around .80, then tapers all the way up to .98 at the 12th fret, where it feels very substantial with more shoulder. I’ve played a few other late ‘64s and ‘65s that seem to have this same taper.

I love it. It felt a bit odd at first, but now I really dig it.
that is something a number of people have noted when playing the guitar.

numbers are rough, as I don't feel like pulling the strings off, but to give you an idea (in inches):
1st fret:
IMG_3886.jpeg

12th fret:

IMG_3887.jpeg

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
HNVGD! That looks fantastic! Love OW and rosewood fingerboard combo, and looks to be in great shape! And nice to see she won't get lonely with two other "kids" from her neighborhood sharing the rack! Hope you play the frets off... then refret and start again!

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
That's one nice '65 - congrats! I also really like your '55 and '60. Do you have the story on those posted somewhere on this forum?

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
That's one nice '65 - congrats! I also really like your '55 and '60. Do you have the story on those posted somewhere on this forum?

Thank you kindly. I had stopped posting on forums for the most part after I went round and round with a TGP admin about a boarderline fraudulent post in their for-sale section (someone was selling a 54-55 parts guitar as mostly original and leaving the buyer to determine what was what while the seller feigned ignorance. "I don't know what I have, it could be all original, you tell me, but I'm gonna ask top of market for it as if its all original and its not my fault if you don't know what you are buying" - that was a paraphrase). when they defended the mis-leading seller, I was out and asked them to close my account. they chose to ban me instead. oh well. buyer be aware...

To be clear, I wasn't free of guilt either. I took the pictures and identified what the parts were, based on the pictures provided. I made the mistake of putting what I had observed as the value of the guitar based on the market in the for sale thread, which obviously under-cut the seller's asking price. It was more habit than anything, because those kind of posts had been fairly regular in this forum. I should have reserved my comment about price and just identified the parts. For some reason I wasn't able to remove the price I put after I posted so I just moved on. The seller harrassed me and TGP deleted the entire post (specifically the piece where I identified the parts for a potential buyer, not just the price I put, which I would have understood). TGP fully defended the seller and left the guitar in their for-sale section, still-misleading potential buyers.

Anyways, here is the post of my '60 strat from when I took the guitar to Historic Makeovers so Kim could color match the burst. He took cool pictures, so I shared them.

I never did a NGD on my 55. Quite frankly, my return to strat-talk was met with a bunch of people swarming down on me telling me i didn't know what I was talking about. I hate ego's. I don't always communicate well in a post, and people pounced on it. I did post a few pictures... but held it back. this thread was an attempt to put my feet back in the waters. Honestly, I think the journey to the 55 is a story that might benefit other people, as I traded my way up to this guitar and might be helpful for others with the same dream I had in realizing it may seem far away now, but is possible if its what you really want. Absolutely call me out when I am wrong. We should try and keep information as correct as possible for people to learn, but don't do it in a way thats "a-ha! I caught you!" or "sit back and let the professionals talk, and you stay at the kids table where you belong", especially when you don't know me. those aren't direct quotes, but the intent of what was said none-the-less from my point of view.

Last edited:

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Thank you kindly. I had stopped posting on forums for the most part after I went round and round with a TGP admin about a boarderline fraudulent post in their for-sale section (someone was selling a 54-55 parts guitar as mostly original and leaving the buyer to determine what was what while the seller feigned ignorance. "I don't know what I have, it could be all original, you tell me, but I'm gonna ask top of market for it as if its all original and its not my fault if you don't know what you are buying" - that was a paraphrase). when they defended the mis-leading seller, I was out and asked them to close my account. they chose to ban me instead. oh well. buyer be aware...

To be clear, I wasn't free of guilt either. I took the pictures and identified what the parts were, based on the pictures provided. I made the mistake of putting what I had observed as the value of the guitar based on the market in the for sale thread, which obviously under-cut the seller's asking price. It was more habit than anything, because those kind of posts had been fairly regular in this forum. I should have reserved my comment about price and just identified the parts. For some reason I wasn't able to remove the price I put after I posted so I just moved on. The seller harrassed me and TGP deleted the entire post (specifically the piece where I identified the parts for a potential buyer, not just the price I put, which I would have understood). TGP fully defended the seller and left the guitar in their for-sale section, still-misleading potential buyers.

Anyways, here is the post of my '60 strat from when I took the guitar to Historic Makeovers so Kim could color match the burst. He took cool pictures, so I shared them.

I never did a NGD on my 55. Quite frankly, my return to strat-talk was met with a bunch of people swarming down on me telling me i didn't know what I was talking about. I hate ego's. I don't always communicate well in a post, and people pounced on it. I did post a few pictures... but held it back. this thread was an attempt to put my feet back in the waters. Honestly, I think the journey to the 55 is a story that might benefit other people, as I traded my way up to this guitar and might be helpful for others with the same dream I had in realizing it may seem far away now, but is possible if its what you really want. Absolutely call me out when I am wrong. We should try and keep information as correct as possible for people to learn, but don't do it in a way thats "a-ha! I caught you!" or "sit back and let the professionals talk, and you stay at the kids table where you belong", especially when you don't know me. those aren't direct quotes, but the intent of what was said none-the-less from my point of view.
Well, that's unfortunate "noise". Those three of yours are great guitars and its nice to see more pix of your 1960, it's a beauty! Do you have a weight on your '55? I'm told they generally come in fairly light. Folks on the Facebook 1954 Strat page report heavier weights on their '54s.

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
Well, that's unfortunate "noise". Those three of yours are great guitars and its nice to see more pix of your 1960, it's a beauty! Do you have a weight on your '55? I'm told they generally come in fairly light. Folks on the Facebook 1954 Strat page report heavier weights on their '54s.
C74246A7-9EDD-47F1-853F-C9DE8F026848.jpeg

Thanks. To play devils advocate, most of the people that were here when I was a regular are no longer here… so I probably just need to re-build some credibility. It’s just kind of jolting when you return somewhere you once had credibility to have to rebuild it. such is life I suppose. Not meaning to sound whiny.

Also, I try to balance how much I share of my own guitars online. It’s great to share and I love it when people do, but unfortunately, there are bad guys out there that are looking for targets to rob…I’ve not had an issue by sharing on a forum, such as this, but I have heard horror stories from people sharing on facebook.

Last edited:

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
View attachment 594290

Thanks. To play devils advocate, most of the people that were here when I was a regular are no longer here… so I probably just need to re-build some credibility. It’s just kind of jolting when you return somewhere you once had credibility to have to rebuild it. such is life I suppose. Not meaning to sound whiny.

Also, I try to balance how much I share of my own guitars online. It’s great to share and I love it when people do, but unfortunately, there are bad guys out there that are looking for targets to rob…I’ve not had an issue by sharing on a forum, such as this, but I have heard horror stories from people sharing on facebook.

That's good to hear about the departure of those particular trolls. Thanks for the answer to the weight question. That looks like some nice grain on that old gut-bucket!

crashbelt

Strat-O-Master
Feb 27, 2012
England
Pleased you're posting - I come to these vintage forums to learn from people with more knowledge and experience of vintage guitars than me as a relative novice player/collector.