NGD - Worst guitar I’ve ever bought

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratoskater, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

So I posted this thread the other day about the AO 60’s Strat I had ordered.
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/incoming-ngd.533493/

I had a nightmare issues last April with the AO 60’s Tele. All three wound strings would rattle and buzz at the 12th fret to the end of the neck unless the action was over 1/8th an inch which is double what fender specs say for setup. Returned the first, GC ordered one direct from Fender for me, it rattled at the 10th and higher, returned it and they ordered a third from Fender, same exact issue. My AO 50’s Tele was set at 1/16th to Fender spec with no hint of buzz much less rattle, EJ Thinline exact same thing.

Today the AO 60’s Strat arrived with the action set a good bit over 1/8th and was already rattling so I knew it was not likely to go well. After setting it to my preferred height, right between 1/16 and 1/8 at 17th fret it was a complete rattling mess. In addition just like the AO 60’s Tele one of the latches on the G&G case hangs up unless you push the top lid back a bit to free it and the neck support piece in the case is so loose and wiggling it feels like it will break off. Needless to say the guitar is already boxed back up and fedex will be taking it back to Sweetwater tomorrow. I am done with the fender AO 60’s series for good, 4 duds in 10 months! I also tried three other RW board Strats at GC last weekend and even with sky high action they all rattled and buzzed. Not sure why the maple necks I’ve played don’t do this but suffice to say I’m probably done with fender guitars all together since I don’t like maple necks. By contrast my PRS Custom 22 I bought in November plays like a dream. If only the silver sky could be setup to gloat the trem without requiring shims I’d be all over it for a RW Strat type guitar.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

To what do you attribute the trouble? Bad frets? Wonky necks? Odd neck pocket?

That's terrible, sorry you had to deal with it.

3bolt79, Stratoskater and Stratafied like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

It sounds like you received a series of guitars that required a reverse shim. I’m sorry to hear that.

(But I’m with you on PRSi. I sold a few Fenders in order to replace them with a few PRSi — So, I hear ya)

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  4. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Not saying you should have to deal with this on a new guitar...

Is this the sort of thing that a level /crown would fix ?

Again, not your problem to fix, but would that do it?
    Or are they sending out guitars with warped necks or something?

CRobbins, Chubbles and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Bummer, sorry it didn't work out.

Maybe try out another source like wildwood guitars? They have an amazing rep and I have had nothing but great luck with them over the years even on used strats.

ZlurkCorzDog, 3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  6. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’d call Fender.

7. Stratoskater

The tech on the AO 60’s Teles said he thought it could be frets but also said he would not put up with that on a $2K guitar and just to send them back and get another, this is why we did it three times. Same thing with a shim, I’m not dealing with that on a brand new guitar of this cost. If it had been the first time I’d probably just try another one but after having 4 that all experienced the exact same issue I’m kind of past even caring why they all did it. Plus the crappy issues with the case on both the Tele and the Strat just made me say screw the whole AO 60’s line. Funny because as I said he guitar and the case on the AO 50’s Tele were both 100% perfect.

Will Lefeurve and Yves like this.
  8. Stratoskater

We did, three times with the AO 60’s Tele last April, they said we’ll just ship another one and did not care to try and help. Worst part was a GC manager and tech said all three Teles were not acceptable but just slapped them back on the wall for sale. Two of them are still there 10 months later.

Yves, 3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  9. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

That’s just wrong, and to put a bad product back on the wall ...geeze!

Rocket King, Yves, Caddy and 2 others like this.
  10. Stratoskater

I am not sure what the issues are from but my ES 335 and PRS play so well I’m just moving on.

AncientAx, Tim S and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sorry I don't get it. What's wrong with a shim? You'd find shims in pre cbs Fenders, it didn't mean they were crap, the guitars played great.

After all said and done they just hung the guitar back on the wall for sale again, without fixing the problems? Doesn't sound like they know what they're doing

velvet_man, RadioFM74, Yves and 3 others like this.
  12. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

There is more to setting up than just lowering/raising the action - the nut, neck relief, then saddle height, intonation (if needed)
    I guess I am lucky with my guitars, some took little adjustments but all in all AMAZING guitars...after almost 30 guitars, only one went back to the seller because of action/buzzing...

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it. Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm glad I like higher action, because it eliminates 90% of the problems.

Low action is the issue.

I honestly don't think the Fender specs for action are realistic for the guitar unless you're setting it up fresh every day.

14. Violeiro

Honestly, I never ask or care for the opinions of GC managers or techs, I did probably once...first time I went to a GC... I truly think they don't know what they are doing MOST of the time... I would NEVER take my guitars to a GC tech, NEVER!

15. Violeiro

Right on, same here with high action...also, the neck moves (relief changes) with changing temperature/humidity...give it a few days, see how it goes...a break in time may help solve some of the issues.

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Expectations should be in line with price point.

I buy junk and assume I can manage to make them play. If I bought something nice, I would expect it to play well without effort on my part.

17. Stratoskater

It’s nothing against shims, it’s that if it needed one fender should have done it and not sent the guitars out with action at double or more their published specs. Plus if all 4 guitars needed shims then they are definitely not guitars I want to pay for.

I’ve been setting up fender guitars for over 20 years. I know what I’m doing. Relief was perfect, intonation was perfect and the nut was perfect. I’ve owned 31 other Fenders from CV, MIM, MIA STD, MIA, Pro, three EJ sigs and two Custom shops, not one had any issues like this that could not be sorted by me setting it up. The AO 50’s Tele and the AO 60’s Teles were bought two weeks apart and one of the 60’s had dates within 1 week of the 50’s so these were all made at or very near the same time.

Stratwrangler, Tim S, Yves and 2 others like this.
  18. Stratoskater

I bought the guitar from GC woof course their tech was going to look at it. I’m not paying $2K then paying someone else to work on it when as I’ve said I know how to setup guitars and I could not fix it. I’m also not pay for fret work on a brand new guitar.

Exactly. My $5,000 Taylor plays perfect with no work needed, my $3,6000 PRS plays perfect with no work needed. For this kind of money I expect perfection with nothing more than me doing a basic setup.

CB91710, smithstrato, Yves and 2 others like this.
  19. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

"Plus if all 4 guitars needed shims then they are definitely not guitars I want to pay for."

Are you saying that you're too good for a shim? It's a piece of sandpaper.... :thumbd:

And we don't know how long those guitars had been sitting on the floor after their last set-up before being shipped to you. They're made of out wood, the climate and humidity change make them go crazy. I'm sure you know all about that. Did GC even provide a set-up before shipping?

CRobbins and Violeiro like this.
  20. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

You can get really nice G&L for 2k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.