NGD - Worst guitar I’ve ever bought

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratoskater, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montemerrick

montemerrick t minus 30 and holding Strat-Talk Supporter

what it would take for me to put out $2k for a guitar, if it didn't make me happy when i got my hands on it, i would be sort of crushed...
    sell the left kidney... its a moocher

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Stratoskater and Stratwrangler like this.
  2. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Yeah he just sits there doing nothing :):

But yeah stratoskater is right to be miffed , I know some are saying oh I always have to do that on new guitars no matter how much it cost , but im the same view for that money it needs to be right and its not acceptable for fender to be so blasé about it. You wouldn't buy a new car and accept having to do the brakes or tune up the engine your self on it.

3. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

why do people order guitars online? i need to play a guitar before i buy...maybe its just me

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

As I’ve said now four times, it happened with the three AO 60’s Teles I bought in store too so online, in store made no difference. I’ve bought two from Sweetwater that were spot on perfect without needing any tweaks at all, one was even perfectly in tune out of the case. Plus I shipped this one back free of charge, it cost me nothing so it’s no sweat off my back, I’ll just figure out another guitar I like then buy that one. Pretty sure it’ll be. Silver Sky asmy experience with PRS has shown their workmanship and quality to be far superior to Fender.

5. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

sorry..it was just a statement...not directed at you

6. Stratoskater

I understand, wasn’t meaning to jump on you, just pointing out that buying online can be fine as long as your willing to deal with having to ship back a dud.

Tim S, mad axe man and Stratwrangler like this.
  7. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Would you buy lets say a washing machine or cooker on line ? Its the same thing if it ain't right you send it back simples.
    Fender have made it very difficult for shops to stock there products due to the annual purchase they need to make ,so online is for some the only option. in the uk very few guitar shops can afford to stock fender or even gibson because of this. The fact that fender USA seems to have forgotten how to set up guitars is seemingly becoming an increasing problem.

Tim S and Stratoskater like this.
  8. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

That explains why 99% of every new guitar I have ever played is utter crap.

Stratoskater and Stratafied like this.
  9. montemerrick

montemerrick t minus 30 and holding Strat-Talk Supporter

i live five hours (by car, considerably more on foot) from the nearest decent music store...

Stratwrangler likes this.
  10. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I am not sure they are forgetting to setup a guitar. A production line guitar comes from an assembly line, not too much hands on attention, which helps to keep the price down... I would not expect a custom shop in need of a setup, you are paying for it already.

I still think that the AOs are an excellent value, and yes they may need a setup...as with any other production guitar... There are many differences between the models, if you don't want to pay for an AO and have it setup you can go with a less expensive model and get the setup, it will play awesome I am sure... The $2K in the price account for features that matter to some people, like myself - I really like the features of the AO, and think they are a great value compared to other production models.

Adding to it - Even on a CS guitar, with the extra attention to detail, the wood still is a living/breathing creature and WILL change (that is not escape) AND eventually adjustments need to be made (again NO ESCAPE)

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

Now you've gone and done it. :D A washing machine? How is that a good example here? It's not like you can or have ever been able to bring laundry with you to try out a machine in store to see how it works before you buy it.

If you had said camera, yeah I would've accepted that. You can test a camera in store before buying it.

Stratwrangler, vid1900 and Violeiro like this.
  12. Stratoskater

Sweetwater does their 55 point inspection and setup and I did my own setup just like I did on the 13 other guitars I bought in the last 11 months. 2 PRS, 2 Gibson, 2 Martin and 3 Taylor all played 100% perfect after my setup. 1 of 5 Fenders were 100% perfect after I set them up and one was spot on and perfectly in tune from the moment I opened the case. I think the numbers show that my setups work for me on every other top brand out there.

Per my earlier post.

In the past 13 months I have bought 14 brand new guitars. Here is the breakdown:

Fender - 5
    1 AO 50's Tele - Perfect right off the wall

3 AO 60's Tele - All three went back due to buzz and rattle issues

1 AO 60's Strat - On the FedEx truck right now back to Sweetwater due to buzz and rattle issue

1 out of 5 were acceptable - 20% ratio

Gibson - 2
    ES 335 - Perfect right off the wall

Les Paul Standard 60's - Perfect right off the wall

2 of 2 were perfect - 100% ratio

PRS - 2
    Custom 24 SE - Perfect right off the wall

Custom 22 Core - Perfect right off the wall

Martin - 2
    000 28 Custom Deluxe - Perfect right off the wall

HD 28 - Perfect right off the wall

Taylor - 3
    714ce - Perfect right off the wall. Exchanged it for 814ce Dlx because I liked the Sitka spruce top better than the Lutz spruce but the guitar played perfect.

814ce Dlx - Perfect right off the wall. Exchanged it for 914ce because I liked the sound of the 914 but the guitar played perfect.

914ce - Perfect right off the wall. Probably the bets acoustic I've ever played including a $15K Martin CS Braz Rosewood and a $9K Bedell Braz RW.

3 of 3 were perfect - 100% ratio

13. Violeiro

Didn't you say you returned two Martin 000-28 til you found your perfect one (the third)?

Adding to it - Even on a CS guitar, with the extra attention to detail, the wood still is a living/breathing creature and WILL change (that is not escape) AND eventually adjustments need to be made (again NO ESCAPE)

I am just going to say it...sorry but all these returns for a "perfect" guitar tells me you are wayyyyyyy too picky and hard to please. I am sure any of these returned guitars with a bit of break in and setup would sound WONDERFUL!

14. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I’ve never paid more than $700 for a guitar, used or otherwise. I’ve had good luck I guess, most have played great after I set em up. I’ve had to bust out the fret file a couple times, but that’s it. I’d probably expect perfection out of the box too if I paid $2,300 for a new guitar. Maybe that’s why I’ve never dropped big bucks on one, the OCD might kick in, hard, ha.

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

Yes I returned two of the 000 28’s but that was due to the first have broken truss rod which Sweetwater returned to Martin for a new one and the second had a loose brace causing dead notes all over the neck and again Martin took the guitar back and gave Sweetwater a new one. This was the brand new custom deluxe series and the first 000 was the second one delivered in the entire country and the second was the fifth. Martin admitted some of the first ones that went out had production issues due to being a brand new line that they rushed out after NAMM.

You can say I’m picky but that’s my right to be, I don’t accept anything but perfection at the level of gear I buy and as you can see in this thread quite a few folks agree with me. And considering every brand but fender (with the exception of two broken Martin’s) have meet my standards with no break in period required I’m 100% justified in my expectations.

Also please stop mentioning setups, I have been setting up my guitars and others guitars for money for the past 20 years. As you will notice there are no threads on here from me asking how to set this up or how to fix this issue. I’m quite certain I can setup a guitar better than any tech in my city as evidenced by the fact that I have setup over 300 of them for folks paying me and only twice have I had someone ask me to redo it or tweak anything. I do not do fret levels as I don’t have the tools and I’ve never done one because no guitar I’ve ever kept required one to play buzz free. I also keep the humidity and temp well regulated in my guitar room so I rarely have to tweak anything once I initially setup a guitar to my tastes. The guitar I’ve kept the longest, my EJ Thinline, has not needed a tweak to the truss rod or action adjustment in the almost 2 years I’ve owned it. It plays perfectly with action between 1/16 and 1/8 with zero buzzing or rattling. This is my baseline, if a guitar cannot meet this it gets returned, period end of discussion.

I don’t care if you think I’m too picky or if you would have kept the guitar and worked on it. I prefer to spend my time playing a guitar vs. working on a guitar.

Tim S likes this.
  16. Violeiro

Ok [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

17. Violeiro

You must be the most unlucky guitar buyer in the universe....or if you did ask and tried to learn how to setup you would've kept a few nice guitars....just saying it [emoji6]
    It is a guitar, not a flower....

18. Stratoskater

Well considering I've owned 33 guitars in the last 8 years, 29 that worked fine after I set them up and only 4 that could not be setup well excluding two broken ones from the factory, I would not call that unlucky. What is odd is that the four are all from the AO 60’s line. The longest I’ve ever kept a guitar is 2 years so far and that EJ is about to get sold or traded in since I’m kind of over maple boards and none of them have ever needed any maintenance. I restring them every 3-4 weeks and they continue to play perfectly.

I take exceptional care of my gear and always control humidity and temp so I have never had fret sprout or seasonal neck issues that require a truss rod tweak. In fact the last time I touched a truss rod on my instruments was when I went from 10-46 gauge to 10.5-48 on my PRS Custom 22. That required about a 1/8th of a turn and relief was perfect. A quarter turn of each screw in the claw to get the bridge to float right and boom the guitar was perfect as it was November 16th when I bought it off the wall at GC and set it up that night.

None of your comments are going to change the way I approach guitars, or my opinion on fender and you are just being argumentative and snarky now because you like your AO 60’s so much, so there is no further need for you to add anything to this thread.

Tim S and Paperback Rocker like this.
  19. Violeiro

You owned 33 guitars and from your post on another thread you had 26 strats...something is not adding up ...

But....ok, you are the man...not getting into a pissing context with you...you win [emoji106]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

20. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

Fender and Gibson both have some QC issues with new guitars, it happens with large companies, but neither is terrible. Sounds like brands who make fewer guitars per year would be better for you, probably less returns. You can find perfect Gibson and Fender guitars right out of the box, but it takes more effort, more returns. There are smaller guitar companies that will spend more time on QC for a $2K guitar than Fender and Gibson, I suggest go that route if you don't want the hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.