NGD - Worth the wait

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I pre-ordered this Ibanez AZ2204N Prussian Blue months ago. Earlier this month Sweetwater expected the arrival date to move to February 2022.

It arrived today. It is beautiful. After playing a short while, I think the Strat Ultra's neck may be a tiny bit better. But the AZ is not yet broken in.

I will post more after I have played it for a few days. ;)

Ibanez_AZ2204N_Blue.jpg

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Congrats! That's the AZ model I would love to get my hands on; the Prussian blue is very cool color on these.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Gormenghast
That new blue one is purdy, but I actually like the color palette of the black/tan one on the right. Kinda reminds me of those two-tone shoes from the '30's....spats.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I dig it! Not sure it matters to you, but how would you compare the ergonomics of the AZ vs the strat ultra?

After playing the AZ for several days, I prefer the Ultra. The neck on the Ultra is better without question. When I received the Ultra a year ago, it was as if it had already been played and "broken in". The Ultra neck is feels better than anything I have ever played.

This is my third Ibanez Prestige. They are exceptional. This AZ is the most Strat like and my favorite short of the Ultra. Maybe after playing it for a year or so it will be as nice as the Ultra? (Maybe a close second?)

PS. On the new AZ, the outer corners of the nut (high E side) were sharp as I reached across for chords and notes on the first fret. I had to slightly round the corners with a small file. Small problem solved.

Last edited:

diogoguitar

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2012
Northwest US
After playing the AZ for several days, I prefer the Ultra. The neck on the Ultra is better without question. When I received the Ultra a year ago, it was as if it had already been played and "broken in". The Ultra neck is feels better than anything I have ever played.

This is my third Ibanez Prestige. They are exceptional. This AZ is the most Strat like and my favorite short of the Ultra. Maybe after playing it for a year or so it will be as nice as the Ultra? (Maybe a close second?)

PS. On the new AZ, the outer corners of the nut (high E side) were sharp as I reached across for chords and notes on the first fret. I had to slightly round the corners with a small file. Small problem solved.
any comment on the body contours? I do play pretty high un on the neck and would think that the 21st-22nd fret access would be slightly better on the ibanez? I know this is pretty minor

upload_2021-12-1_10-4-10.png

upload_2021-12-1_10-3-26.png

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Is the difference in the necks a difference in how thin they are? The Ultra I played had the thinnest of a half dozen Strat necks I ran through one day at GC. Although, the Ibanez line has a rep for thin necks too.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
The neck on this AZ is ~1.0 inch at the 12th fret. The Ultra is ~0.9 inch at the 12th fret. I measured with a digital caliper without removing the strings so it is not scientific. The Ultra is just "smoother" than the AZ.

The body of the AZ is slightly smaller overall. The contour at the high E side of the body is deeper with a good bit of relief contour on the back as well. In practice, I don't feel much difference in that regard. I seem to have a short pinky so I have to stretch to get across the fretboard on those "stratosphere" frets anyway. ;)

I had several Strat Ultras to choose from at the local shop where I purchased from last year. I played them all and picked the one that sang to me. It is the ONE.... How can another guitar compete with that?

FireFunkRevival

Strat-O-Master
Feb 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
I pre-ordered this Ibanez AZ2204N Prussian Blue months ago. Earlier this month Sweetwater expected the arrival date to move to February 2022.

It arrived today. It is beautiful. After playing a short while, I think the Strat Ultra's neck may be a tiny bit better. But the AZ is not yet broken in.

I will post more after I have played it for a few days. ;)

View attachment 522504
How do you like that Texas Tea strat?

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
// How do you like that Texas Tea Strat?

It is THE ONE. I can't imagine anything else being more than second fiddle to the Ultra.

Latest posts