NGD

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Well, a couple of weeks ago I had a Les Paul studio delivered. It had quite a few things wrong with it, so I sent it back. It had a strange looking grain pattern in part of it.

While I was waiting for the refund, I started looking at the specs from the Tribute, Studio, and Classic. I found the Les Paul Tribute had a couple of unique things going for it. It had the same pickups as my SG Standard that my wife bought for me back in April, and it had a maple neck.

The Studio had my favorite set of pickups, but for some reason, the bridge pickup sounded like mush. It also had the plastic missing off the PG and pups, and has pick scratches on the guard. All of this indicating that it was a customer return. So I sent it back.

I ordered the Tribute 2 days ago and it arrived this morning. Cosmetically perfect. It just needed a truss rod adjustment.

The frets had the tiniest bit of sprout. I am going to wait until It starts raining again in a couple of weeks before I decide whether to do anything about that. The guitar had been sitting in a Nevada warehouse for who knows how long. Humidity is really low there compared to western Oregon.

I am waiting for the neck to settle in after adjusting the truss rod. I may have adjusted it almost 3/4 of a turn in small increment. The relief out of the box was about .012. It is now about .007, but I will check it tomorrow and see if it has moved any.

I am going to wait to adjust the nut slots for a couple of weeks, after the neck is where it’s gonna be. I just eyeball the relief, and usually wind up about .006 on a Gibson. The guitar was supposedly Plek’d at the factory, so I will try to get it back where it was when it left Nashville. So far so good.

I bought this as a workhorse. I have some guitars I will play out, and some that stay home. This one is to play out, along with my Ibanez Artists, and Fender Vintera 70’s Strat, and my Stingray Basses and Epi SG Custom. Everything else stays in my man cave.
CE46D56C-A639-4BBB-810A-331C5E01B713.jpeg B104D584-BAEF-41D1-872E-02B991C234E4.jpeg
This is my last “new” guitar purchase for awhile. I am still open to buying 70’s and 80’s guitars if the come up at a low price.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Happy NGD! Cool colors. Hope you enjoy! The fret sprout will probably go away once it gets used to the new climate. Congrats!

Yeah I am thinking it will go away. It is barely there. Not sharp. But I can feel it. It is a dry day today, and the humidity is about 50%. When it gets to our rainy season, which lasts from October to May (at least) it won’t be an issue at all.

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
HNGD! Pretty color, and it sounds like you are getting it close to set up. Hope you can start playing the heck out of it soon!

xland

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 5, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
HNGD!! I have a 2021 Gibson LP Tribute in Iced Tea and I love it. The neck is chunky and comfortable to play, I think it's a rounded C.

Congratulations and enjoy your new LP!!

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
It really is a bare bones guitar. Sometimes simplicity is the order of the day. I can’t stop listing after more expensive models, but this is about as utilitarian as I can find. This is my only satin finished guitar.

To me, anything over 800 to 1000 dollars is an expensive guitar. I think I’ve finally got all the bases covered. I am trying to keep just enough to fill my rack, so 18 to 20 guitars. No two are alike.

I will try to unload a bass and a guitar this weekend. I need to get some DiMarzio Super Distortions for my Ibanez Artist, and a couple of new CTS pots.

Handsome McClane

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 6, 2020
Sacramento
Sweet. Happy new guitar day!

I had a Studio for a long time that was my #1. Traded it for my first Strat about 10 years ago. Now I'm wanting another LP and I'm thinking the Tribute will probably suit me well. Glad you're happy with yours.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Sweet. Happy new guitar day!

I had a Studio for a long time that was my #1. Traded it for my first Strat about 10 years ago. Now I'm wanting another LP and I'm thinking the Tribute will probably suit me well. Glad you're happy with yours.
I started off with a LP Studio, but went with the Tribute because it was a few hundred bucks cheaper, and I thought the maple neck was a good idea.

Every thing sounds great so far. I wouldn’t be sad to put some DiMarzio’s in it though.

I like the neck profile on this one. Seems a tad bigger than the Studio.