Nice old Chorus Pedal.

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by ChrisD, Oct 12, 2021.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I do a lot of pedal repairing as a sideline and wanted to share this one with you. Its a 1980 Electro Harmonix Small Clone. It arrived in it's original box with original paperwork and the condition is remarkable, I just had to share the image, there's barely a mark on it :eek:
    20211012_165103.jpg

As luck would have it I have another one here for repair, a modern one. Here they are together, 41 year old on the left and the young pup on the right lol
    20211012_164635.jpg

I have to say that sound difference is quite staggering. The older one just sounds better at every setting. I can see why they command crazy money.

So not the most interesting of threads but I thought I'd share it none the less :)

2. Eric_G

Eric_G Senior Stratmaster

It's actually a subject that interest me a lot... as a clone hobbyist builder any type of pedal interest me...

Now that you have the old and the pup in hand, did you check the difference in terms of circuit and components ? The fact that the sound is so different, I can only assume there are major differences...

ChrisD likes this.
  3. ChrisD

To be honest I can't find much difference in the parts of the circuit that matter. The biggest difference is likely parts manufacturer. I did take a photo of each pcb before I repaired them.

To hear them together, you'd think they were from different companies!
    20211009_181036.jpg 20211013_192354.jpg

Electgumbo likes this.
  4. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

Wait, did you switch the knobs on them? The one on the left (which you say is the vintage one) has the modern EHX knob on it, while the one on the right has the vintage one…

Killer pedal either way. The ok’d EHX stuff sounds amazing. I am currently borrowing an older Deluxe Electric Mistress from a friend and it sounds so good.

ChrisD likes this.
  5. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

Maybe it's like;

Some of us like valves that are on their end of life rather than fresh unadulterated ones.

Or speakers that have many, many hours on them.

ChrisD likes this.
  6. ChrisD

Funny enough I noticed the knobs too. The old one has its original knob believe it or not, it has a D shaft so the other knob wouldn't even fit it! The newer one I'm not sure about. It may have been added for looks but I seem to recall that EHX were using those knobs for a short period on the the 1st Big Muff reissues. Not sure if maybe the small clone got them too? Yeah I thought the knobs were a little back to front looking but both are on the pedals they arrived with. The vintage ones were called Mini Chorus and the newer ones are Full Chorus, you can see that on them too :)

7. Eric_G

Eric_G Senior Stratmaster

Looking at this it's hard to tell what has changed, however we can assume that vintage caps/transistor/IC will impact the sound. I tried to find a few schematic to see what was different between vintage and re-issue but there isn't much info on that pedal.

Being curious were both repair jobs and what was the fix ?

8. ChrisD

The vintage unit needed a number of leaky/swollen capacitors changed out. The newer one needed a number or broken wires fixed and a new switch!

The owner of the vintage unit has since received it back and is telling me it now sounds better than his other vintage Small Clones. Go figure lol.

Eric_G likes this.
  9. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

there is a lot of variation in parts (capacitors, etc.) across all pedals.

a lot of the perceived difference in tube screamers versions, is really just parts tolerance (as opposed to ts808 vs ts9).

some of the pricier companies (wampler, etc.) do a lot more testing of components, and have narrower thresholds on the components, resulting in less variance from unit to unit (also why they cost more).

Eric_G and ChrisD like this.