1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Nickel Wound vs Pure Nickel Strings.. Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I like my Strats bright and present. D'Addario XLs for me. Sometimes, I even try out Pro Steels.

apm1991 likes this.
  2. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

The pink pack of EB 9s. Whatever that may be. The "pure" nickels I've tried did not seem to last as long. I change my strings about 3 times a year. Wipe them down after playing and they last a pretty long time.

apm1991 likes this.
  3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I also figure it is the fret healthy choice. Not sure I have enough fret left for another leveling on the old Lester.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    The-Kid, apm1991 and jayaitch like this.
  4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i bought countless 1o packs of nickel plated d'addarrio 9's - love 'em. probably one of the best deals on a good string ever.

i use 8's now and there are no 10 pack deals i've ever found...i like those ernie ball classic sets that @jayaitch shows and buy them in 3 pack deals for 13 or 14 bux on sale on ebay. i do prefer real nickel wraps over the nickel plated.

the made no more 'snake oil brand' with real nickel wraps were by far the best string to me, but not cheap.

apm1991 and jayaitch like this.
  5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I prefer pure nickel wraps over NPS. I like 'em warmer.

I also prefer a wound 3rd, for the same reason. It does mean I can't go lighter than 10s and have a balanced set, but I generally play 10s or heavier anyhow. I have 4 guitars currently strung up with 12s, and a couple with 11s.

I wouldn't worry about steelwound strings wearing down frets faster--you have steel plain strings anyhow.

apm1991 likes this.
  6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Glad to hear that...
    My ears can't
    Discern any of the musical aforementioned notions...
    Thanks for doing it for me

GeejeeZ, Opj77 and apm1991 like this.
  7. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The Wizard next door................

Dragon bone frets. They last four ages......................................:D

Yeah, wear can be an issue, so I don't use SS on all my guitars all the time. But I do like them when I do. Currently I've got the British Steels on the strat, and the SG, and a set of Swing Bass 66 SS for the Jazz bass. And regular nickel wound D'Addarios on the nocaster and P bass.

apm1991 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  8. Lankytwang

Lankytwang Strat-Talker

"" You mean there's a difference ???...Ask 20 guitarists which strings do they prefer/are the best...get 20 different answers:p

If there is a difference my old ears can't hear it:)

crawdaddy, GeejeeZ, scotjudy and 2 others like this.
  9. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talker

make mine cobalt please.

Skrofhyrguitarism and apm1991 like this.
  10. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

Tried most. NYXL for life. On most.
    I have two guitars that are way too bright for Plated, and those sound better w/pure nickel. You hear less of the string and more of the wood, like a remixed EQ.
    There's a "voice" we all prefer each of ours to have, and I hope everyone finds theirs.

And not to stir the pot, but every brand has different tone, longevity and flex. Try a few :)

JJ119, dirocyn and apm1991 like this.
  11. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Pure nickel sound and feel dead to me .

Ebidis, JJ119 and apm1991 like this.
  12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

For Strats I've settled on Fender 150s (pure nickel) in 9-40.
    This was after years/decades of trying quite a range of types and gauges including '8s in the early days.

On Gibson and other shorter scale or humbucker guitars I use NPS, either Ernie Ball or D'Addario, usually 9-42.

I usually buy the 150s in bulk so I've never paid near that much, for the XLs and Slinkys I just sniff out deals when I can.
    If I had to, yes, I would pay the going rate for the strings I prefer.

150-940.jpg

JJ119, kurher, apm1991 and 1 other person like this.
  13. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talk Member

Dang, I thought this was a discontinued set from Fender?? Can you still get this set somewhere?

14. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

They may be, now.
    I'm still working my way through the last dozen I got a few years ago.
    If they are discontinued from Fender I will find an alternate equivalent set.
    I believe D'Addario has a set in their 'balanced tension' range that is the same/similar.

jayaitch likes this.
  15. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

On my Strat I use the GHS Boomer pure nickel “roller wound” strings in the Eric Johnson size of 10-50.

The roller wound are kind of like a half round, compressed or ground round wound making the wrap wire flattened.

The strings are very warm/muted acoustically and they are smooth/soft. No finger noise whatsoever sliding your finger across the surface. My vintage bridge is setup floating.

Compare that to my Tele With NPS D’Addarios 9.5-44 EXL120+ and the range of tone between the two is drastic.

apm1991, Skrofhyrguitarism and Opj77 like this.
  16. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

I’m generally the same but the different in pure nickel vs nickel plated is pretty drastic to me. I think the vast difference in feel translates to your ears somehow, as well, if that makes any sense.

Lankytwang likes this.
  17. gusgorman

gusgorman Strat-Talk Member

Pure Nickel sound different (perhaps warmer with a bit less bite - but there is more to it than that) so it comes down to what you prefer.

I used to use them on my Jazzmaster to tame the brightness, then I remembered I was allowed to use the tone and volume controls and switched back to Nickel plated :)

But I did like the sound of Pure Nickel.

GeejeeZ likes this.
  18. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

You probably mean the nickel rockers (Boomers are nickel plated steel and not rollerwound). These strings are probably the closest in design to the old Fenders and were almost certainly derived from them.

19. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

i like stainless steel... but only for my frets.
    For strings, mainly D'Addario, either Pure Nickel roundwounds or Chrome flatwounds.
    For the really special guitars, Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing pure nickel flatwounds.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  20. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

D'Addario XL on everything except my 335, LP and Duojet get Gibson Vintage Reissues and my FR equipped player strat gets D'Addario NYXL's

apm1991 likes this.