1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Nickel Wound vs Pure Nickel Strings.. Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Oct 8, 2020.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

Wow, I have no idea why I typed boomer instead of rocker.... I just put the set on last week!

kurher likes this.
  2. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talk Member

I
    I used Nickel Rockers for a minute, but I found them to be REALLY stiff. Like, more so than the gauges would seem to indicate. I thought they sounded great, though.

3. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

I would go with whichever is cheaper as long as it's round core and of decent quality (in terms of sound, tuning stability and longevity).

Having said that, I still have half a dozen of Fender 3150TR "Pure Nickel Wound" bullets and a dozen of Fender 150TR "Pure Nickel Wound" ball-ends in my stash.

Still, for my active guitars I prefer the GHS Boomers, which are just "Nickel Wound" (lol). Decent price (great price if you buy in bulk, which I always do), easy to find them, good sound, excellent longevity etc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    apm1991 and scotjudy like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

That's a lot of extra cash, an extra dollar for each of the three wound strings. They don't last any longer or sound significantly different enough to warrant that expense.

5. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

Generally, I prefer pure nickel on my SSS Strats, and nickel plated on anything with a Humbucker.

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

Pure nickel sound warmer/duller depending on your persuasion. I tried Pyramids recently and Curt Mangan. The pyramids are a decent price and add a different flavour should you need it. The Mangans are good but not worth twice the price of any other string I use.

7. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Yes, they are stiffer because they have a bigger core. That's when the tension charts help. You can use a lighter gauge with these and get the benefits of their design without having to fight them.

jayaitch likes this.
  8. scotjudy

scotjudy New Member!

GHS Boomers, 10-46. Nickel plated. Happen to be available at great prices with multi-set packs.

It’s all the personal preference.

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Dadarrio. Whichever come in 10 packs. Pretty sure nickel plated.

10. LP1948

LP1948 Strat-Talk Member

I like a full, fat and warm tone so for me the choice is clear, D'Addario Pure Nickel.
    I also use fairly heavy sets that sound best to my ears playing chord melody jazz.
    One guitar gets 12's with a wound G. The other 11's with an unwound G.

dogletnoir likes this.
  11. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I use Mangan strings.

I called him and asked about the difference, sound wise. He said to use the “pure” for bright sounding guitars (my Strat and Silo) and plated for the darker ones (my LP, semi, and Silo Special).

So that’s what I’ve done ever since. Works well, so I stick with it.

12. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Curt Mangan 10s. Pure nickel.

13. johnjet6

johnjet6 New Member!

I have been using Stainless Steel strings for over 30 years. I find that they keep their brilliance longer than Nickel Steel.

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I tend to prefer pure nickel - about 1/2 of my guitars have Ernie Ball Rock-n-Roll, and the other GHS Nickel Rockers - tension is higher on the GHS because they are semi-flat - EB's feel about like standard roundwounds.

15. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Always wanted to try pure nickel but still have yet to. Guess I'm too cheap.

16. SunburstHSH

SunburstHSH Strat-Talk Member

17. 57goldtop

57goldtop New Member!

For what it's worth I thought this was logical...If your pup magnets are typically Alnico (Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt) and lots of strings historically claim kinship to the Nickel pairing why not COBALT strings?

Ernie Ball a couple of years ago began marketing their Cobalt Super Slinkey's. Love them and use them exclusively. They are not utilitarian (buy them 'cause they're cheap) and like most, are more affordable in package forms. I just wish they were lightly "rolled" like my former GHS faves. Anyway, if you can, try a set. Feel, sound, stability, and longevity are quite impressive.

Back to the logic...will they then make Aluminum strings?

18. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talk Member

I prefer Stringjoy. They are far superior to every other string I have used

19. TrackerDan

TrackerDan Strat-Talk Member

I use pure nickel bullet ends on my Telecaster. And I like them just fine. I try and wait for them to go on sale and by a few packs. The bullet ends drop right out of the of the string ferrules when they break. Sometimes the others do not, and that's a bummer. I use D'Addario EKXL120's on my Stratocaster. They seldom break if at all.

20. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Nickel is nickel and it’s all the same purity. The strings in those two packages are made by the same person on the same machine from bulk wire from the same bin, then they are put in different packages. I’d buy the cheaper set.