1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Nickel Wound vs Pure Nickel Strings.. Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Oct 8, 2020.

1. matsont123

matsont123 New Member! Silver Member

I used to use GHS EJ Lights on my Strat and Tele but when the strings get old 4,5, and 6 no longer ring acoustically--more of a dull thunk. I now use a nickel hybrid set consisting of 1-3 GHS, and 4-6 DR Pure Blues in the same gauge as the EJ Lights. The DR Pure Blues still ring even when they are old and lost their initial brightness. I use DR Pure Blues 11-50's on my Yamaha SA 2000 and Epi Sheraton II.

2. cabasner

cabasner New Member!

It's been awhile since I've done any playing, but pure nickel is the way to do. I'm sure my knowledge of strings is horribly out of date, but the best strings ever are/were Snake Oil pure nickels. I still have a ton of new ones. I always felt that they 'felt' really special, and not that could really hear a difference, but they are just feel better to my fingers, moreso than any other string I ever played.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    StratoMutt likes this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I only use pure nickel EB’s on my son’s 79 and on my Vintera 70’s Strat. Everything else gets either nickel plated steel or Cobalts.

4. Afishman9

Afishman9 Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Not in my experience with EB, DR and Stringjoy.

5. Afishman9

Afishman9 Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Nickel wound = nickel plated wraps; pure nickel = pure nickel wraps

6. Flattythehurdle

Flattythehurdle New Member!

Whichever is more expensive as it's better.

7. JhnnyJhnsn

JhnnyJhnsn New Member!

Well, my reply may not be too popular. When I was gigging regularly I found that fresh strings were my choice over any particular brand. When I was younger I was very brand conscious. I tried many brands and alloys. My most favorite brand for awhile was D'addario XLs. Eventuality, I found that a decent brand of fresh strings were more pleasing to my ear and easier to achieve my tone than with any high priced over rated brand of old dead strings. That's right, I use Musicians Gear strings and they became my string of choice. A plain old set of fresh 9-42 would get my ears excited way more than the thud of old strings. BTW: 9-42 sound better and play better than any other string set on a Strat, but to each his/her own. I prefer Nickle plated round wound wire wrapped around a steel hexagonal core...

8. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talk Member

Depends, let me explain. I have used both based on factors like the guitar and amp being used. I like pure nickel for a bright guitar and/or amp. Likewise, if you have an amp or guitar that emphasizes more mids and low end, nickel wounds could bring out more of the high end. In a general sense—barring the various gauges and tonal characteristics stated by the manufacturer on the packaging—I like pure nickels used with my Strat and Fender amp because it warms up the Strat sound. On the other hand, I have a hollowbody guitar made of mahogany and rosewood that works best with nickel wound strings on the same amp. Ultimately, try both and see what you like. And, know from experience what gauge of strings works for your playing style. Quest on.

Gevalt likes this.
  9. bgwhitney

bgwhitney New Member!

One of the advantage of playing guitar for decades is the ears ability to tell the difference! I'm liking Stringjoy these days.

apm1991 and jayaitch like this.
  10. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

This is the correct answer....

Wow, what strings is that guitar player using? Said noone ever.....:):)....while listening in concert, on the radio, CD, or Itunes....

apm1991 likes this.
  11. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talk Member

Is there any way to get String Joy stuff cheaper?? Their strings seem really overpriced, and I’m not entirely convinced their strings just arent Mapes Strings.

apm1991 likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I prefer nickel wound.

apm1991 likes this.
  13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

However, from my perspective as the player, there is a difference. And I prefer nickel wound.

apm1991 likes this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I admit it...I can't tell the difference.
    I bought a couple sets and made sure to always put them on a guitar I'm real familiar with, so I can notice the difference, and I always forget which guitar I put them on.

apm1991 likes this.
  15. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

And that is the answer....ya play what ya like....

BTW.....so do I.....:):)

Ebidis likes this.
  16. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

They do go on sale from time to time, or send a discount code.

The thing that's great about Stringjoy is they make it easy to order a custom set with whatever gauges you want. They're good strings, made in Nashville. In my experience they last a long time too.

17. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

GHS and Fender strings were both derived from V.C. Squier Co. of Battle Creek, Michigan. Squier was making all of Fender's strings starting in the mid 50s, and Fender bought out the company in 1964--shortly before CBS bought Fender. GHS was founded in 1964 by former Squier executives, and many of Squier's employees also moved to GHS. The V.C. Squier company continued making strings in Battle Creek (some branded Fender and some branded Squier) until July 1982.

It is not that GHS copied Fender, but that Fender and GHS both copied V.C. Squier.

18. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Yes, indeed. I have posted documents in other threads about the history of V.C.Squier. However, from the mid - 60s onwards, Squier and Fender are the same thing.