1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Nitro Over Poly Idea

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dan_Q, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Hi All,

We've all seen custom shop created or of course old re-finished guitars, where a change of colour has been applied, and the original finish has worn back through. Something like this:

[​IMG]

My question is- can I just lightly key (with something like scotchbrite) my old poly finished Sunn strat and shoot a rattle can of sherwood nitro directly right over it? I'm far from after a decent finish, and i dont want to relic it either- I'd like it to wear through over time.

I just wondered if anyone had tried that with any level of success.

Background story- this idea is for my first guitar, on which only the body, trem plate and claw are original. I recently replaced the neck and added stickers like when I was an adolescent, and after looking at it a few times I already fancy trying something different.

Sherwood is my fave colour (although I wouldn't rule others out) and it would be ace for the original finish to "burst" back through (see what I did there? I'm here all week) after its been played for a while.

If folk have tried it and it was a waste of time, just let me know, there aren't enough hours in the day as it is ;)

2. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

IMG_3394.JPG
    This is Reranch burgundy mist over BINS primer - this body was poly, I did exactly what your plan is.
    I'd recommend the primer - easy to use, comes on aerosol

Good luck on your project

Dan_Q likes this.
  3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

A shellac sealer over the scuffed up poly will let you use lacquer on top also.

I think the BINS primer is white. The shellac will be clear or tinted but will be see thru, if you do not want to wear through the white primer first.

mshivy, Dan_Q and carolinaeasy like this.
  4. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

You can actually spray the NC lacquer right over the scuffed poly without issue. More important to scuff it evenly and clean it with a light prep solvent.
    Not a two way street, though. Poly over NC is not the same, and can be disastrous.

Hal Nico and Dan_Q like this.
  5. Dan_Q

Everyone- thank you very much for the responses- so it appears this is a feasible option! Thanks so much.

That burgundy mist looks lush, sir [emoji106]

Might just go for this. I'll get online and price stuff up, with and without primer, although I think I like the idea of just a thin topcoat.

mshivy likes this.
  6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

What's the point? The guitar still won't be able to breathe.

:confused: :eek:

7. Dan_Q

[emoji23] with my fingers on the fretboard, I'm under no dissolution whatsoever, that there ever has been any tone in the first place, so therefore it doesn't need releasing. There are a few chips in the poly though, so I suppose if any does appear they could weep out of the balsa wood there and be filtered through the new nitro [emoji6][emoji106]

8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Kieth seemed to get by just fine with a guitar that didn't "breathe"..... ;)

images.jpg

mshivy and carolinaeasy like this.
  9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Keef uses mojo to allow it to breathe. I thought everyone knew that? He bought a bag of mojo from Muddy at Chess in 1964.

:sneaky:

mshivy likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

When you get done with the top coat, I'd suggest wet sanding with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. It will dull the finish but give everything, even the old chips, that comfortable broken-in feel like an old pair of jeans. That tactile feel to me is the whole point. Plus you don't have to worry about getting any new dings and scratches in it because they only add to the effect.

Also use the round screwdriver shaft trick on the sharp edges of the fretboard to round over/ease/burnish them. I like to soften up the ends of the frets too.

Dan_Q likes this.
  11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I am contemplating doing this with my Micawber build. I want a fiesta red something awful and looking at pics of the fiesta over sunburst, I find myself liking it! Might have to do it!

Dan_Q likes this.
  12. Dan_Q

Nice idea jvin, not a bad idea at all that [emoji106]
    Go for it Carolinaeasy! I personally think they look great, and I've been thinking of doing it for sometime.

13. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

Considering the road worn series that fender produce is essentially nitro over a poly sealer what you're planning is fairly straightforward, as others have said, you just need to make sure the poly is keyed so that the nitro can stick to it or it will just peel off in sheets...

Dan_Q likes this.
  14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

We aren't actually sure Keith breathes either, now are we?

ivan H, CGHguitars and Dan_Q like this.
  15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

16. Dan_Q

:thud:

That's delicious fezz, is it yours?

17. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Yes. Ocean Turquoise over 3TSB. Did it myself. :D

It's changed a little since that pic:

IMG_0002.JPG

Dan_Q likes this.
  18. Dan_Q

Brilliant! Love the colour choice too. And was it done using one of the methods suggested? [emoji848]

19. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Yes. MIJ 3TSB "62 Chandler body. Shot nitro over it, then clear nitro, then using lacquer thinner created the wear spots. Lacquer thinner won't affect the poly underneath. Then some bumps and bruises, and pick wear, using a pick! :D

Nick Evans and Dan_Q like this.
  20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

If I were to do this, using reranch spray cans. How many cans of Fiesta would I be looking at to put a finish down that I can wear through naturally through play rather than artificially?