Nitrose

SnakeJake

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 4, 2021
Is it true that a foam covered guitar stand should not be used for any guitar that has a Nitrose finish and if true.. why and what would one recommend for an option.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
20210907_100640.jpg Some foams used are advertised as okay for nitro finishes, but I don't trust the advertising. I have several expensive ones that I just don't want to take a chance on.

You can get a dozen or so micro fiber cloths cheap from Harbor Freight. I usually wrap any contact surfaces on stands with those and draped one over the piece that holds the neck.

The added advantage to this is that anytime I play one I have a suitable cloth right at hand to wipe it down before I set it back in the stand. Usually keep one in every case as well for the case queens or whatever is out of rotation at the moment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/microfiber-cleaning-cloth-12-in-x-12-in-12-pk-63362.html

beerbelly

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2021
Portland, OR
The foam used on my Hercules wall hangers doesn't react with the nitrocellulose finishes I spray; I'm guessing that their stands use the same foam.

61vYWV-GscL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway
Sure can mess it up. Especially light color finishes.

From an used market ad here locally. little used American Original 50´s (ouch)

jcZhcKo.jpg

KCJWkON.jpg

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
Is it true that a foam covered guitar stand should not be used for any guitar that has a Nitrose finish and if true.. why and what would one recommend for an option.
Some of the materials used on some stands will stain some finishes.
Cork however is safe for everything. Stands with cork can be expensive.

Sheets of thin cork can be found in business supply and hobby stores. Soaking it in water for a few hours makes it pliable enough to form to supports. If allowed to dry while wrapped to the part you want it on, it will hold that shape. Then a touch of glue and ...

20210910_130412.jpg

Nitro safe guitar stand...

Torvald

Senior Stratmaster
May 3, 2019
Northwest
Yep. I found out the hard way. I have 3 Ultimate stands. Two that I bought new seem to be covered something cloth-like but the one I bought from a Craigslister had a foam covering on the legs which glued itself to my nice Duplicolor lacquer job. Had to sand it off.

SnakeJake

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 4, 2021

Sheets of thin cork can be found in business supply and hobby stores. Soaking it in water for a few hours makes it pliable enough to form to supports. If allowed to dry while wrapped to the part you want it on, it will hold that shape. Then a touch of glue and ...

View attachment 506668

SnakeJake

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 4, 2021

View attachment 506668

The stand photo is the exact same one that I use. I did find out that my"other guitar" ( I got jumped on for mentioning the make) does have the nitro finish so thank you for the information . I considered wrapping a cloth material around the contact points of the stand but I like your solution better. I recently changed strings on my guitar going from 10s back to 9s and now the fifth string is buzzing when on the 2nd free. Open it's clean.Higher up the neck be it's clean. But as I said ..on the 2bd fret it's making contact somewhere. I'm thinking a ever so slight raising of the bridge would solve this issue. What cha think.

tubedude

Strat-O-Master
Mar 18, 2015
Golfcity, Ga
The stand photo is the exact same one that I use. I did find out that my"other guitar" ( I got jumped on for mentioning the make) does have the nitro finish so thank you for the information . I considered wrapping a cloth material around the contact points of the stand but I like your solution better. I recently changed strings on my guitar going from 10s back to 9s and now the fifth string is buzzing when on the 2nd free. Open it's clean.Higher up the neck be it's clean. But as I said ..on the 2bd fret it's making contact somewhere. I'm thinking a ever so slight raising of the bridge would solve this issue. What cha think.
It might, but check the frets to see if they are level. You might need to file one down a little to resolve the buzz. That will allow you to address the issue, instead of raising the action to accommodate the fault.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
"We all came down to Nitrose, on the Lake Geneva shoreline".

I like the word, although maybe it should be spelled as Nitroce... as a shorter version of Nitrocellulose. I mean, seriously, in a profession/hobby that says "pups" instead of "pickups", nitrocellulose is way too much to say or type.

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
The stand photo is the exact same one that I use.
Yes, that's a König & Meyer that I glued cork to. I didn’t use cloth because it permits the instrument to slip.
thank you for the information
You're welcome.
I don't think that the cork on a stand will help with fret buzz though. That's going to require a different type of effort.
Good luck.