Join Strat-Talk Today

NND - Road Worn Robert...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RaySachs, Aug 13, 2019.

1. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've had a Robert Cray Strat for the better part of two years and it's the best sounding strat I've ever owned and I love the hardtail aspect of it, being a non-user of tremolo bars. But I've always really loved the feel of maple fretboards and soft-V necks on strats. And as nice as the original Cray neck is, it's always been just a solid B or B+ in terms of my idea of the perfect feeling neck.

So nearly a year ago, I tried putting a Jimmie Vaughan neck on it (christened a Robert Vaughan strat by some clever Strat-talker). And for some reason, it just didn't work out. It was really PIA to get setup - might have been a neck pocket or neck depth issue or something, but I had to really change the setup pretty drastically after I swapped the necks. And when I finally got it dialed in, I just didn't love how it felt or sounded. I liked the guitar less, not more. And, a much lesser concern - the Vaughan neck was about as white as a sheet and it just didn't look good on the Inca Silver Cray body. So after a month or two I took it off and put the original Cray neck back on and I've been existing pretty happily.

I'd recently checked out a few higher end strats just to see if I had ANY interest in upgrading, and none of them really grabbed me, which the guitars I buy generally do. So I decided to try going all in with the Cray one more time. I have a Road Worn tele and it's the best feeling/playing Fender guitar I've ever owned. I'd briefly played a roadworn strat as well and loved the feel of the neck on it too. So I bought a Road Worn strat neck and stuck it on the Cray. And for whatever reason, it went right in and I barely had to tweak the setup, mostly just to account for the 7.25" radius and a slight intonation tweak on a couple of strings.

And after just a few days, I already know it's perfect. It feels just as good as the road worn tele neck, it plays just as well, and it even looks right, being considerably darker than the Jimmie Vaughan neck. And, real or imagined, I always thought the guitar sounded different with the Jimmie Vaughan neck, and not in a good way. But nothing about the sound seems to have changed at all with the RW neck. So I'll risk speaking too soon to say I'm pretty sure this is how this guitar will spend the rest of it's life (and probably mine - my first strat was a 25 year guitar and this one should be too, but I'll be doing well if I get another 25 out of me!). Now it's my favorite strat of those I've owned in EVERY respect. It was already most of the way, but not quite there. This puts it over the top. So a couple of pics.

[​IMG]untitled-1 by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]untitled-3 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    SAguitar, The-Kid, shupe13 and 9 others like this.
  2. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

That looks fantastic! I'm really glad you found the winning combination, they seem to fit perfectly.

RaySachs likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Confused. That's a maple neck.

4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

@RaySachs
    Looking Good Hoss! But that body is a bit too minty to go with that neck. But if you play the fire out of it you should break in that body before your untimely demise. Hardtails are cool. My fist Strat was a Hardtail back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. But it’s cool you got what you wanted. Always loved the Road Worns. They just feel so good in your hands. I got one of those crazy awesome Tele’s too. An I don’t like Tele’s! But that RW 50’s is a just amazing! Glad you got your guitar lined out... hope you both are happy together for a long long time. Congratulations on a job well done!

RaySachs and circles like this.
  5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

That looks really nice!

I use an Xvive too, like it. On my EOB Strat, the jack is on the side, not the front, so it's less obtrusive. I haven't been using it at home though as my 'music room/office' is small and find it's easier to just use a cord here. It is great to be cordless otherwise.

6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Within the OP's context, are you confusing "RW" with rosewood instead of road worn?

unionjack515 likes this.
  7. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

I was doing the same thing.

8. RaySachs

Good catch - thanks. Fixed it in the OP...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. RaySachs

Yep, RW for road worn, not rosewood. My bad...

10. RaySachs

My first strat got beat to hell the old fashioned way, by playing it anywhere and everywhere and all the time. I’m a lot tamer now and if I play this every day for 25 years, it’ll probably look just as minty then as it does now... The good news is I don’t care one way or another. Didn’t care if the first one got beat up, don’t care if this one stays near perfect...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Electgumbo likes this.
  11. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It even looks like it sounds good !

RaySachs likes this.
  12. RaySachs

My man-cave is also small, but I have three electric guitars in regular use and rather than always swapping cables or untangling them, I just turn the transmitters on and off when I pick up a different guitar...

circles likes this.
  13. Lonn

Admin Post
    Well duh lol. Indeed I was.

14. Lonn

Admin Post
    Well duh lol. Indeed I was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.