No Love - Fender American Professional HH Shawbucker Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Retroe, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Did a search but couldn't find any info or anyone offering any opinions on the AM PRO HH Shawbucker Strat.

I know the HSS Shaw isn't that popular, either. But at least ther're some threads that talk about them and even some NGD posts from folks who really seem to like their Shawbucker HSS Strat . But no love for the HH? I wonder why.

ProSonicLive and circles like this.
  2. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Most of us prefer Strat pickups in a Strat, most of the time.

That said, if your bases are already covered with SSS Strats and SS Teles, then adding additional Fender guitars with HSS, HS, and even HH is a lot of fun and gives great tonal variety.

I wouldn't buy an HSS or HH Strat as my ONLY Strat, but I have added some of those to existing SSS Strats and SS Teles - and I LIKE 'em!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

I know, right?

You’d think with a billion people on the internet there’d be something about everything on it.

I seriously question whether search engines favor the more popular stuff in an unfair way (ie: for whatever can make them more $).

If you Google whether Beyonce’ had a bowel movement today you’d get a thousand responses, but if you want to know how a Shawbucker sounds - Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    midwestfisherma and Retroe like this.
  4. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

LOL, I'm not about to Google that but great response!

Zeekrider, those are some gorgeous Strats and Teles. And yes, I also have several SSS Strats and SS Teles and was thinking of maybe getting the Oly White HH Am Pro Strat (that I read about in another thread about the Am Pro series being on sale). Came here to find some info about it and came up empty. May I ask what pickups you have in your HH Strat in pic #2?

5. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Aren't those called Charvel's?

\m/:mad:\m/

6. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

What is the name of the finish of the guitar on the left? That is a beautiful guitar.

NC

Zeekrider likes this.
  7. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Retroe... those pickups are Gibson Classic '57s. And they are the best sounding humbucker pickups I've heard in a Fender guitar, including some from Fender, Dimarzio, and Duncan. They have a rich, full, clear, sparkling quality - not the least bit muddy or muffled. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat, if anything happened to these. I also like the Dimarzio PAF Master, as it is a sparkly bright and clear humbucker also. I tried a Duncan '59 and it is too rounded-off/mellow toned for my liking. I like a "Fender-ish" quality (clean, clear, sparkly, bright) from any humbucker that I put in a Strat or a Tele and the Gibson Classic '57s do it. Also, not having a cover on the pickups helps this quality that I like.

8. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

NC... that guitar is a Fender American Standard Strat from 2013 and the finish is called Sienna Sunburst; it's on an Ash body.

Numbercruncher likes this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

HSS is ‘aight but...

If I’m going the HH route...

ED94C489-FDCB-4C3B-A838-D91EF17B108E.jpeg

diogoguitar and Dick Blackmore like this.
  10. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

I see alot of HSS unsold inventory. Don't think Fender should be making so many of them.

11. The Birdman

The Birdman Strat-Talker

I've only seen one local shop that bothered to get an HH Am Pro Strat in, and it took them over a year to sell it. I think that might give us a clue as to why there's not much online about them.

I agree with enchantpth44 about the HSS Strats. I see them everywhere hanging around, and it seems like they sell fairly slowly.

12. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

Most of the time those look very Aged Cherry Burst to my eyes. Your photo really displays how much different it looks. I have a new color to buy . . . someday.

NC

Zeekrider likes this.
  13. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

So does anyone else think that since the first time you saw electric guitars that over the years we’ve just become conditioned to think Fenders are single coils and Gibson’s are humbuckers? Is that just the way it’s been and supposed to be?

14. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Absolutely.. we're programmed to see Fenders with SSS and SS. And Les Pauls, SGs, ES- etc. with double humbuckers. Variations on this look different and that probably takes some people out of their "comfort zone".

Once you have your "normal" Fender bases covered and your normal Gibson bases covered... having some different variations can be quite enjoyable as compliments to the "normal" versions. Quite a few buyers probably only have one Fender or one Gibson and for those folks, having the "normal" or "traditional" versions makes the most sense.

Great thing with Strats and Teles, however, is how easy it is to swap in variations in pickups - if the routing underneath the pick guard allows. And a lot of Fender guitars do have routing which allows you a lot of choices in pickup variations.

jwj1701 likes this.
  15. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

That's as good a theory as any - guitarists are a pretty traditional lot when it comes to equipment.

For me - I just can't get a good overall sound from an HSS Strat. If I get everything dialed in for the humbucker then the single coils sound thin to my ears. And if I dial in the single coils, then the humbucker is unbalanced/way loud and kind of muddy-sounding. I guess I prefer either all single coils or all humbuckers - I would rather have the HH Strat than the HSS Strat.

But that's just me; there are many, many players who love HSS Strats and love that oomph that comes from switching over from the single coils to the humbucker.

arcticstrat likes this.
  16. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I am not a huge fan of the shaws, But I really like HH strats when my tone requires it as opposed to switching to a LP, an SG or Ibanez/Schecter/jackson style. guitar. strats and teles just feel familiar. Not that I hate Ibanez/schectors/jacksons but its more of a "Horse that brought ya" sort of thing.

velvet_man likes this.
  17. psallo

psallo Senior Stratmaster

I think most people looking for an HH will probably buy something other than a strat. The differing scale lengths would cause the HH not to sound exactly like people think an HH should sound.

18. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Fenders feel a lot more comfortable to me to play than Gibsons, though I've sure had my share of Gibsons, Les Pauls, SGs, ES-models, and an LG-O. I'd much prefer to play a Strat HH or Tele HH than a Gibson, even if the tone isn't quite the same.

I have gotten some sweet tones from these HH set-ups, even though I lean toward single coils much of the time. Either way, a pickup has to be clean, clear, and sparkly, otherwise it's of no interest to me. Humbuckers can do that when chosen carefully and set-up properly electronics-wise..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ProSonicLive, TangerineDog and Nick-O like this.
  19. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

20. MrYeats

MrYeats Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

A project I have in the works for this HH tele.
    I will get pix of my HH Strat later today.

DSCN4369.JPG
    DSCN4406.JPG