No more GAS: divorce

Eligius1976

Strat-O-Master
Apr 30, 2017
Barcelona (-Spain)
Hi all,

I”ve found out the better way to mitigate GAS, it”s not a friendly way, this is true, but it works..
I”m just getting divorce after having 4 or 5 years of a mediocre/bad relationship with my wife. Very hard times…3 small daughters and a huge mortgage…and last but not least I lost my father 3 months ago after a battle with cancer: tremendous year indeed, but still optimistic!
So, at this point I”ve been selling almost all of my gear, very sadly indeed: a strat usa standard that I loved, a tele 60s vintera, a charvel so-cal super telie, a Taylor 114, my main accoustic, some pedals and hard cases…
Right now I only have my main strat usa deluxe and a mim tele player plus, but still looking to sell my brand new fender tone master DR…

Well I only wanted to share my feelings today…thanks for reading and have a great week.

Eloi

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Thats brutal, sorry to hear. In the end, i think it’s gonna be better for all to end a bad relationship instead of dragging it on, but it will take time for this to show. Hope you’ll be able to come out of this stronger than ever! Mucho ánimo, compadre:)

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
So sorry to hear of your scenario and the loss of your Dad. Wow that sucks. I hope you get to keep your beautiful schnauzer that’s a great looking dog! I’d be lost without my two black schnauzers 😢

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Hi all,

I”ve found out the better way to mitigate GAS, it”s not a friendly way, this is true, but it works..
I”m just getting divorce after having 4 or 5 years of a mediocre/bad relationship with my wife. Very hard times…3 small daughters and a huge mortgage…and last but not least I lost my father 3 months ago after a battle with cancer: tremendous year indeed, but still optimistic!
So, at this point I”ve been selling almost all of my gear, very sadly indeed: a strat usa standard that I loved, a tele 60s vintera, a charvel so-cal super telie, a Taylor 114, my main accoustic, some pedals and hard cases…
Right now I only have my main strat usa deluxe and a mim tele player plus, but still looking to sell my brand new fender tone master DR…

Well I only wanted to share my feelings today…thanks for reading and have a great week.

Eloi
Sorry for your losses.

I've been through both. I miss my father, I do not miss the marriage. My daughter's who were just 4 & 8 at the time immediately seemed to realize that Mommy and Daddy were both happier apart. Their biggest problem was not having both of us all the time.

I also had to sell many (most) of my cherished guitars but when the dust settled it most definitely was not the end of my GAS. The divorce was 10 years ago this year and guitar wise I have certainly over compensated any guitar losses I had.

The next little bit will be "different" than what you've been used to. You'll have some new challenges but then not have some old challenges. Focus on what's important and you'll come out the other side stronger.

charlie chitlin

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
The Berkshires
Been there...and have really made it an area of study/interest.
Even a lackluster relationship can suck your soul out...not to mention, a bad one.
Stay as friendly as possible with the ex- and...sorry to say...as hard as you think it's going to be on the kids, it's going to be worse...much worse.
I'm only saying that so you keep it in mind and try your best to control the damage.
Good luck.
My stomach hurts just thinking about it.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan
... a huge mortgage…

Make sure to sell that house while in the middle of the split activities and find a pair of smaller and more affordable places -- that will make it easier on everyone (lower maintenance, costs, mortgages).

ryunker

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 18, 2014
Crystal Lake, Il
Hi all,

Eloi
Brighter days my friend, first time was 12 years and two boys along with massive debt. Second time 20 years this August, a daughter, recent paid off home and 30+ guitars and happy.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
You are probably better off getting out of a bad relationship. But don't burn your bridges. You have kids, so you will have to deal with your ex at one level or another until they are grown.

Do speak with an attorney. You need advice about which items are part of the marriage and which ones are separate property.