No, you can't route Logic Pro through MixBus (cost effectively)

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by simoncroft, Jan 16, 2021.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

@Seamus OReally asked me about this when the MixBus sales was on, and I'll give you all the full answer, because there are old videos on YouTube that make it sound as if you can mix an LPX project on MixBus for free, in a ReWire type of arrangement.

Actually, if you're running macOS 10.15 or later, you can't. Here's why.

First off, Harrison doesn't support ReWire, so there goes the easy option.

Secondly, OS 10.15 was the first to drop 32-bit support completely. As no-one has developed 64-bit versions of the free audio routing utilities Soundflower and Jack, neither of them will work. (Soundflower looks as if it will, until you try to actually set it up...)

There is one utility that appears promising – iShowU – but really it's for desktop streamers, and it doesn't have the multitrack I/O capabilities you need.

Suffice to say, if you're running OS 10.14 or earlier, Jack and Soundflower are still options. That's because the OS has 32-bit support. If not, there is only one option I can find: Rogue Amoeba's Loopback https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

The Catch 22 is, even if Loopback does the job, it costs a lot more than MixBus. That makes it all a bit pointless.

On the plus side, if you want to mix on MixBus, it supports VST plug-ins, so you probably already have all your 3rd-party plug-ins available in that format. Then, all you have to do is import your WAV files from LPX.

My guess is you won't bother, but the option is there. :D

thomquietwolf and CigBurn like this.
  2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the thorough reportage, there, @simoncroft. Nicely done.

simoncroft and CigBurn like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

You're very welcome. TBH, I did the research because I was potentially interested in working that way. I've come to the conclusion that, even if ReWire was an option, it's not really worth it. It's a lash up, a bit like when engineers used to sync two analog 24-tracks. In theory, great. In reality, several seconds recreating the Battle Of The Alamo every time the machines went from rewind to play!

OK, it's not quite that bad, but you are splitting the processing power of your Mac between two DAWs, which doesn't seem an intelligent thing to do. Because I love classic consoles, I also have the Harrison MixBus 32C (albeit not for the money they want now). The workflow I'm going to try for one particularly big mix is to output start-to-finish WAVs for every track in LPX, then import into MixBus 32C. I quite like the idea of mixing in a different environment, where I'm thinking more in terms of multitrack/console/outboard, and not wondering if I should be working in FlexTime, tweaking that synth patch... and doing all the things you can do in LPX.

At the end, I'll be able to find out whether there is a discernible difference between my LPX mix and my 1980's-style Harrison mix. It'll be a while before I get round to it, but I'll post the results here for discussion.

Seamus OReally likes this.