Noise gate to kill the strat hum

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Haakon, Jun 9, 2021.

1. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Sorry to report that my strat is the biggest hummer I have. I even spent $160 on a Furman power conditioner. Still there. Turned off the electronic ballast lights. Still there. Took it to church and tried to play it through the Princeton (which is whisper quiet). Too noisy to even consider.

Granted, I took the time to copper foil shield and bond my tele, so I guess I'm spoiled. Don't know if doing the same on the strat would make it as quiet (it has the black conductive paint in the cavities. I guess the solution is to go noiseless but I didn't like the vintage noiseless that came on it, too sterile. I haven't got around to dropping the $$$ for Kinmans or other highly recommended noiseless PUs. What's a guy to do?

Dibbs likes this.
  2. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Head to the other end of the house. Plug in to another circuit. Change your own orientation by 90 degrees. See if it changes. If it does, it's a 60 cycle issue.

FYI - if you know enough about house wiring you can plug into the other phase of the house power and perhaps isolate yourself from what is causing the noise. But that's not always easy to figure out... and it might not help. Depends on what the hum is coming from.

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Well, Imhad the same problem on one of my Kramer’s. Turns out they didn’t put a ground wire in at all.one piece of wire for the trem claw to the tone pot and it was fixed.

ptb1, Tone Deaf and Stratoskater like this.
  4. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

If it's not a wiring issue (but it sounds like it probably is), the ISP Decimator line is the gold standard for noise gates. I have a Decimator G-String II and it's great. They do not give them away, however, and if you're not too picky, there are a lot of less expensive options that do a fine job. I have a $30 Donner Noise Killer on my grab & go board, and it works pretty well.

5. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

ISP decimator best in the business

The-Kid likes this.
  6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Well ummm, singles hum. Hey that rhymes :D

StratUp likes this.
  7. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

It´s difficult to do a "remote" diagnostic, but to me it seems that you experience the "normal" hum from a single coil equipped Strat.
    What others have asked - do the hum change when you touch the strings?
    If so, it´s a grounding problem somewhere.
    Do the hum change when you turn the guitar from facing towards the amp, turning it 90 degrees from the amp?
    Then it´s "normal" 50/60hz hum.

This can be reduced shielding the cavity with copper folio, making av Faradays cage. I did that on one of mine (94 American Standard - and that close to solved the hum = recuded it with 70-80%.

8. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

One thing which gets largely ignored is dust. Pop open that rear cover, on the amp, and vacuum out the dust. Dust can act as a low grade capacitor, as a low grade conductor, and it is also a super insulator, holding in the heat. So, many times, you're system, covered in dust (which gets drawn in by electrostatic charges, causes your system to heat up prematurely, then the dust is either acting as a drain ground, on a part of the circuit, or heavily layered dust can act as a "hum factory".

In any event, dust is your #1 enemy with amplifiers, and it can accumulate very quickly.

9. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I turned up the Noise gate on my Wampler Gear Box to try and reduce the hum on my old bandmaster and all it really did was kill any note sustain after a couple of seconds.

CB91710 and ptb1 like this.
  10. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

The ISP Decimator G String is really good, and inwould put the TC Electronic Sentry right up there. And a lower price. Sweetwater has them for $99.

I prefer the Sentry actually, I think it does a better job at reducing single coil noise, and it has a more natural decay when reducing the volume knob on the guitar.
    Both aren't perfect however, but are extremely effective.

Stay away from the EHX Silencer.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Try a dummy coil.

12. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Noise gates attenuate the signal when the signal strength is below the threshold that you set to identify undesirable hum. That setting is what distinguishes noise from your signal. As your string vibration decays, its signal strength drops below the hum's signal strength and the entire signal will be attenuated where you've set the threshold. That's what kills the sustain and noise. (For what it's worth, this is the opposite of what a compressor/sustainer/automatic gain circuit does.)

Expensive noise gates may monitor the signal's threshold better/faster or respond more naturally than a cheap one, but as far as I know, no noise gate uses AI to distinguish between the hum and the signal to process them differently.

Studios (used to ?) use a "notch filter" to narrowly target 60Hz for attenuation.

Good "Faraday cage" shielding in a guitar helps, but you can't shield your pickups because they need to pick up your strings' vibrations.

I believe the most effective and practical ways to eliminate 60Hz hum are the Illych system or hum-free pickups (like Kinmans or DiMarzio Areas). They filter out the hum in your signal before it's sent to your pedals & amp.

Damaged hearing can solve the problem too, but most people wouldn't consider that a good solution.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    benderb9 and CB91710 like this.
  13. Haakon

Haakon New Member!

Ok guys, Thanks a lot for all help!

the hum does not change When touthing the strings, and i am now Pretty confident now that it is just the 60 cycle normal hum. Maybe i noticed it more on the AM strat Because the singlecoils on this one has higher output than What i am used to from(?)

I moved to another room, witch hjelper and also tried listening while turning my guitar 90 degrees. Big difference.

Almost Sorry for bothering you guys with this now that i understand what it turned out to be, But i really didnt Get it and though there was something up with the guitar.

ptb1 likes this.
  14. dkelban

dkelban Strat-Talker

TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate Pedal: BY FAR THE BEST I'VE TRIED.... NOT EVEN CLOSE

15. Gator

Gator New Member!

I tried a gate and did not like how it cut off tail end of notes....I now have an EX Hum-Debugger and it does exactly what I want...no hum at all. like magic.

16. Matopotato

Matopotato Strat-Talk Member

Hold it up towards a light source, or a laptop that is on and you get a quick feel for how much such sources can affect the signal.
    If you have pedals, consider batteries and an isolated power unit (like truetone cs6, cs7 or cs12) to see that effect. Also (patch) cables can affect it
    After that possibly a noise gate.
    I liked the ISP g string for its speed and clean cut but it fades less well on long sustained notes. A Zuul mini seems a little bit better for sustain but it wants a splitter of some kind. I think noise gates/suppressors are about what you can live with as far as what they are capable of and price.

17. tball

tball New Member!

If you solve the 60-cycle hum but still don't like the pickup noise, Google "stratocaster shielding" to find out ways to reduce it. These involve lining the cavities with copper foil and/or painting them with shielding paint. They don't require any electronic tools or knowledge. Before you do anything, though, see if the cavities are plain wood or painted (usually black), as new strats already have shielding paint.

18. Spats

Spats Strat-Talker

I have no problems with single coils except in my attic, where the hum is horrendous.Unless I stand in a very particular way.

So, I use an EHX hum debugger and find it excellent. The tonal difference using an amp is negligible< with headphones, there's a bit of a phasey effect, but well worth it.

It's not a noise gate. it "listens" to the hum on the mains line and cancels it out.

19. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

GlockandRoll likes this.
  20. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

How much gain are you playing with?
    Noise gates kill touch dynamics and suck tone, at least in my experience.

Have you checked out the Illich noise-canceling system?