Noise reduction?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Martyepisg, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Martyepisg

Martyepisg Strat-Talk Member

Hello forum, one of my strats has some low grade noise when plugged in that my other does not. The pickguard is shielded, I’m wondering if the way it is wired has any inherent issues that would create the noise (a static fuzz sound).
    Here is a pic of the pickguard and body cavity. Maybe I just need to line the body?
    EA8ED8E0-F6DE-439D-9E81-07BB1869EBEE.jpeg F58500FF-F6F5-4A36-ACD5-527D99905590.jpeg 0BD9C1D6-4EE6-410F-A573-206E3D658112.jpeg

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Those pickups you have are vintage style. That means that you get hum in all 5 positions. Most modern Strat pickup sets have an RWRP middle, this set of 3 in your pickguard does not. If you have other Strats that DO have RWRP middle pickups, they would be nearly silent in position 2 and 4 - this one won't. They also have a lower inductance rating meaning brighter than a lot of other pickups, so the noise/hum is more apparent with the tone knobs at 10.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

What pickups does the Strat that 'does not' have the hum problem have? @Martyepisg

If that Strat also has body shielding paint, it could be quieter.....

4. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

^ This... and make sure the paint is grounded.

I'd also turn those pickup wires into twisted pairs and separate them from the other pickups, but I don't know how much practical difference that will make.

5. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Cool thing is Sweetwater offers most fender pickups with a RWRP option. PV 59’s, CS 69’s etc

diogoguitar and Martyepisg like this.
  6. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Check for dry joints and if you like DE solder the Treble Bleed Cap/Resistor on the volume and see if it goes.

I tried one on one of my Strats but went back the stock volume control as I preferred the slight mellowing of the sound when I turned down the volume.

Also I think yours has the,"50s" Cap wiring. Try the modern wiring,

https://rhondajones.top

HTH :)

Martyepisg likes this.
  7. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Used this stuff many times, like Stratup says, add a wire directly to the grounding paint.
    71Hmyc7MBeL._SX342_.jpg

Handsome McClane and Martyepisg like this.
  8. Martyepisg

Thank you much! Sounds like shielding paint is the way to go then. I am going to take it that to ground the paint i put a very small screw into the cavity that will be painted and ground to a pot linking it to the electronics ground loop. Sound right?

StratUp and Jmart1212 like this.
  9. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Yup...put a layer of paint on the screw for good measure

Bob the builder and Martyepisg like this.
  10. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I use the aluminum foil adhesive tape for shielding. The stuff for wrapping duct joints. NOT "duct tape". Works perfectly, is inexpensive, and conforms to the cavities. I keep a little tab for a PG screw to go through to connect everything, the PG shielding completes the ground.

[​IMG]

11. Martyepisg

Appreciate it. That’s what I was thinking too. I was going to rewire for modern style.
    I am not sure what you mean by DE solder. Maybe you just meant to write resolder. That’s what I’m guessing but let me know and thanks again.

12. Martyepisg

Thanks very much, I see that there are different types of shielding paint: nickel conductive, copper conductive, silver conductive. Does it make a difference?

13. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I've used that too, but you won't get conductivity from one strip to the next through the glue. I tested with a meter. There's some, but it drops fast across multiple strips.

I took a bare wire and attached it to ground on one end, then taped it down with a 1/2" square piece on each tape strip as I went. That way the wire contacts the conductive side of every piece of tape.

14. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

Find a BPSSC

15. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

I just meant remove the Treble bleed Cap and resistor :)

Martyepisg likes this.
  16. Martyepisg

Thanks, that’s the Suhr backplate I think. Looks like they are a little pricey so I’ll start with the paint and see where it gets me.

17. Martyepisg

Got it!

18. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

The nickel acrylic has been the best in my experience. The copper didnt shield enough imo. Stewmac has some offerings, but the MG Chem acrylic had a thick even spread. For a strat, you would need like two 15ml bottles. Do like 2 coats. Even under the pickups, just wanted to add that.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Martyepisg likes this.
  19. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

I was not aware that Suhr had them. I only ever knew about the ones by Lindy Fralin. That said, I see they are no longer on his website. Hmmm. They are not a shield. It is not useful to compare it to shielding paint.

20. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The BPSSCs are made by Ilitch Electronics - Suhr used to license Ilitch's systems (including selling the BPSSCs) but Suhr developed their own system and ceased working with Ilitch probably 5-10 years ago.

Here's the link to Ilitch's webpage:

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/

diogoguitar likes this.