Noiseless pickup coil split. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by brmusician, May 9, 2021.

1. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Well, the title is pretty clear: can I split Noiseless pickups so I could get a tone with more "chime" like real single coils? I'd like to install a toggle-switch to enable this on an Eric Clapton strat.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I haven't heard of any such pickup. If it was available, it might depend on how the pickup is designed. If it's a stacked pickup, it might be possible. There are some different hum-canceling pickups that might not be able to offer a "split" like you're probably thinking, such as Zexcoil:
    https://lawingmusicalproducts.com/zexcoil-strat
    Or Lace's Holy Grail:
    [​IMG]

Also, many noiseless single-coil style pickups already are designed to sound like traditional single coils. I think some of them do fairly well at that. I've tried a set of Zexcoil pickups and I think they sound pretty good. I think Kinman also makes some noiseless pickups that sound like traditional single coils:
    https://kinman.com

StratoMutt and brmusician like this.
  3. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Thanks for answering. I was referring to the Fender Noiseless pickups (Vintage Noiseless model, I guess) found on the Eric Clapton strat.

Baelzebub likes this.
  4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I have a set of Kinmans and they're pretty darn good. They do have sparkle & chime, just perhaps a bit less air than true vintage-output singles.

The thing is, because noiseless singles (unlike most Strat-sized humbuckers) are designed to sound as much like the real thing as possible, most would probably sound very wimpy split.

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Ah. Sorry, don't know much about the Fender Noiseless.

Baelzebub and brmusician like this.
  6. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Looking at the pictures from Google Images, they seem to have only two wires... splittable coils usually have a third wire for enabling splitting.
    [​IMG]

7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I have a set in a box here that I could look at but I think you're right about the third wire being necessary for/indicative of splitting capability.

8. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yes the Seymour Duncan Classic stacks 4+ has a coil split for true single coil function. Though most don’t bother with wiring it up bc the pickups sound so close to true singles it doesn’t make much of a difference

I put a set in my Clapton Strat and they made a huge difference in tone. Much better pickups than the vintage noiseless

9. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I just put these in the neck and middle of a Superstrat build and they are phenomenal. I’m debating whether to stick with the super switch wiring I started with or go to a 5-way plus mini toggle to split them and the JB bridge so I can go back and forth between SSS tones and stacks + humbucker tones. I’ll say this, the split JB plus the middle classic stack is on point for traditional Strat tones, as are the neck and middle split. I haven’t tried them with just the neck, middle or bridge split yet.

EC Strat likes this.
  10. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

I have the HGs in my StratoMutt.

Brilliant pickups. They sound plenty Stratty to me, without the bridge ice pick. I see / hear no reason to split.

That illustration seems very accurate. The covers are epoxied on.

[​IMG]

CalicoSkies and Blackmore Fan like this.