Join Strat-Talk Today

Noiseless Pickups, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by jackfossett, Aug 21, 2019.

1. jackfossett

jackfossett Strat-Talk Member

So I hate hum, but I've never really found noiseless pickups that I liked more than standard. Some sound good -- I had a set of Vintage Noiseless in a strat for a while (demo below), but ultimately switched them out to a nicer set of regular single coils.

Anyone found any exceptional noiseless pups out there? Or, if you're like me and hate the hum, what else do you do to kill it?

~Jack

Attached Files:

2. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

Have you tried Zexcoil pickups?

zexcoil.com

mbpeters75, billgwx and CalicoSkies like this.
  3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I've also tried Zexcoil and think they're great. My favorites right now are Kinman though. I think Kinman makes some great-sounding noiseless Strat pickups. I have a set of their Traditional MkIII pickups, which I've heard have now been discontinued in favor of their newer Traditional MkIV (which they say is a slightly differently-voiced set). Kinman also has their "Impersonator 54" pickups, which are supposed to sound like a new set of 1954 Strat pickups (but are noiseless, of course), as well as a "Blues" set, "Woodstock" set, and others.

jackfossett likes this.
  4. jackfossett

jackfossett Strat-Talk Member

I tried one set of Zexcoils but only briefly. I actually tried a set of Dimarzio Paul Gilbert noiseless strat pups that were better than decent as well, but again, I just keep coming back to real honest to goodness single coils.

Anyone ever tried out the EHX Hum Debugger?

5. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

I found the Vintage Noiseless to be pretty good once I lowered them just about to the deck. In that video, they looked too high. Mine were that high when I got the guitar and they sounded awful until I got them way down.

But there's a noticeable difference when playing by myself at home. The 57-62s in my other Strat sound much better on their own, but the Vintage Noiseless seem to fit into the mix with my band better. And in the band setting, they sound really good.

Chicago Matt, JP68 and Danny D like this.
  6. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

A noisegate pedal is the best option when you want to retain the single coil tone. Even lace sensors (even tho I play a set of gold) don’t do it quite as good.

7. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have EMG X-series pickups in my main Strat. They're "stratty," but still clear and "hi-fi." Great string tone, no Stratitis, impossibly quiet. Better than the standard EMG SAs in every way.

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

How about almost noiseless - Lace Sensors?

Cerb likes this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Kinman are perfect.

N3 are great, but in a different way. 100% usable on stage.

10. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

I still prefer Lace Sensor Gold or Hot Gold sets. IMHO I don't think anyone has made a better noise reduced pickup.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Stack pickups can be a little tall for vintage-style pickup routing. I was thinking about trying the current version of the SD Classic Stack, then realized I’d have to set them closer to the strings than I like.

12. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Fender hot noiseless. Tried the vintage noiseless and liked the hots a lot more. Don't let the word "hot" scare you they aren't over the top or anything you still get that vintage stratty tone.

strattopper and Swampash like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Before getting too deep on the pickups, make sure to cover the basics first: shielded cable to the jack and Nashua Aluminum flashing tape for the cavities and back of the pickguard. Make sure the noise you are getting is not everything else except 60hz.

VinceC likes this.
  14. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

I’ve had the Fender Vintage Noisless gen 1 (made in ‘98 ‘99 or so) and a more recent set of the Samarium Cobalt noiseless pups in Strats before.

FWIW, I didn’t like either. There was some articulation and dynamic that was lacking. The hum is worth it for a dynamic pickup, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. CalicoSkies

Lace Sensors aren't true noise-cancelling pickups though, just noise reduced through shielding.

Not all noiseless pickups are stacked designs. Zexcoil uses a unique design of 6 individually-wound coils which are RWRP (I think). And the Lace Holy Grail pickup has 2 windings on either wide of the pole pieces rather than having them stacked:
    holy_grail_scan.jpg

sgarnett likes this.
  16. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

I use DiMarzio Virtual Vintage and Area pickups in my 2 Roland Ready stage guitars. I’m not gonna say they are the best of anything. But they get the job done. I got 99 problems but hum ain’t one! I’m in a different place every weekend and the rig is quiet! I get compliments from the house sound guys all the time. “ Your setup never hums so I can set you in the mix better”. There is something to be said about the guitar that gets played most sounds best too. I got enough to worry about... amp setting, pedal settings, getting the Roland Synth DI to the house and getting what I want in the monitor mix... I ain’t got time to worry about my guitar humming too. In a 7 piece band out in the audience those guitars sound like a normal Strat without the hum.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  17. CalicoSkies

18. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

First I’ve heard of it ... but they can’t take my pickups!

19. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Another vote for the Dimarzio Area series! Excellent p/u's imho.

EC Strat-boy and slowesthand like this.
  20. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

I also hate hum. I’ve had Gold Laces, DiMarzio Areas and Kinman Gilmour’s in my strats. I liked all of them. I sold them when I either needed money or wanted to try something new.
    Right now I have Vintage Noiseless in one Strat and Gen4 noiseless in my other Strat and Gen4 noiseless in my Telecaster. They all sound great to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.