Noiseless Pups for AVRI '57 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by km15616, Nov 26, 2020.

1. km15616

km15616 New Member!

I have a FSR AVRI '57 stratocaster in candy apple red with stock 57'/62' pups. I was thinking about swapping the current pups for Fender noiseless pups so I could use the guitar for more modern pop recording. I currently have a Strat with ultra vintage noiseless pups in it so want pups with a somewhat different flavor. Has anyone put noiseless pups in their AVRI or am I crazy? If so what kind. Is anyone familiar with the vintage noiseless pups in the Clapton Artist series or have any recommendation?

2. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The vintage noiseless are really good but are medium output and warm. Somewhere between a true single and a humbucker in character. I liked them but it depends on what you’re after.

if you’re after a vintage tone that’s very close to a true single check out the SD STK 4’s

More modern would be the new ultra noiseless by fender or the N 4’s - they’re both very nice.

CB91710 likes this.
  3. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah, you're crazy

4. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I use my three vintage era Strats (1975, 1976 and 1986) for modern pop recordings.
    I think you should keep things as is. ; - )

CadillacBob likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Other than wanting them, do you have another reason for needing noiseless pickups? Are you trying to fix a problem?

My Opinion: There's nothing about a pickup that produces modern pop tone. Set your amp, twist the guitar's knobs, and stick a pedal in between them if you can't hear what you want. That's exactly what you'd do to get the tone you want out of a vintage style or noiseless pickup.

6. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

I've N3 pickup's in my 2015 Strat. They are DEAD quiet. Almost as if one might think I actually turned the volume down.
    They work well for my taste, and to my ears still sounds like I'm playing a Strat.

7. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talker

In my AVHR '57 I've got DiMarzio Area **... I can never remember what the years are. Basically a different year model for each position as recommended by DM. They are truly noiseless and sound very vintage. Bright, clear and low output, a lot of dynamics etc. However, I initially had them in a different Strat, where they were perfect. This '57, though, is naturally very "snappy" sounding for some reason and now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I should get something a little more mellow sounding for it. Maybe something AlNiCo 3-based. I'm going to give it time, I guess.

PS: people, who don't understand the need for noiseless single coils clearly don't do ambient sounding stuff with compression, modulation and delays which make the buzz a lot more prominent and very out of place!

mutato likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I get it when it's explained like that. Thanks.

Since I own various guitars, I'd think about solving it with a high-end noise gate instead of changing pickups in all of them.

9. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

I’m contemplating purchasing a used MIA Deluxe that has the N3’s. I see so many complaints about the tone of the N3 pickups that I am really torn as to whether or not I will like them.

10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Well the dimarzio areas are super close to the 57/62 set but dead silent....you can use them for pretty much anything other than modern metal....throw at them insane gain stages...various effects, it doesnt matter, they retain composure and very small adjustments to their height gets you where you need to go without issues.

EC Strat and Pandamasque like this.
  11. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Internet mumble-jumble, IMO. Doesn't take much to get the ball rolling and have people who probably never held a guitar with N3's in it to gripe over the half second they took to listen to an online clip of what they believe to be, N3 pickups lol.....

I have three Strats, and well, this one sounds the most "Stratty" of the ones I (and I mean I, as it's all I can go by) own as the other two have Lace Sensor's installed.
    The only time the N3's don't sound like a Strat is when I'm NOT playing as they have zero hum! Whether it be through my Carvin, my Fender, or my Marshall TSL stack!

I really don't mind the N3's at all, in any position. That said, the neck is my favorite, but I have been jamming along to Rory Gallagher with my guitar in the bridge position. It's amazing what the knobs on a guitar and amp can do. It's as if somebody was actually thinking lol......

12. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I have a set of the Fender Vintage Noiseless and in my experience they're fairly hot, but still provide good cleans. They do have a certain "noiseless" sound (different from normal single coils) but to me the difference is very small, and I think the Fender Vintage Noiseless are very good pickups. I used them to gig, and they're handy when you get to that old venue with dirty electricity, lights and one old beaten up peavey bandit amp. I don't think I could tell them in a blind test against normal single coils, it's more of a feel thing.

EC Strat and SurfsUp like this.
  13. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

DiMarzio Area 58s sound like the ticket. I have 2 in my Am Std middle and neck, and far prefer them tone and noise wise to the CS Fat 50s they replaced.

Pandamasque and Dreamdancer like this.
  14. TempestStrat

TempestStrat Strat-Talk Member

Maybe a noise cancelling backplate would be a better solution?

15. MojoTone

MojoTone Strat-Talk Member Vendor Member

I think those pickups are all wound and polarized the same direction. In that case you might look into the backplate instead of swapping pickups if you like the sound of them.

16. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

So you have two Strats? One with the vintage single coils (the 1957 AVRI) and another different Strat with noiseless pickups. I think you should stick to the way they are. I have 3 Strats. One gigging one with a higher output Bridge (SM Quarter Pounder) while the other two are stock mid 70's era Strats. I use each on whatever song I'm composing. I want super bright I go for the 70's ones. I want something heavier or more mids, I use the 1986 AVRI Strat.
    Most of my music I compose is pretty much alternative indie music.

17. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Lace sensors. Pick the colors to taste. I have and like the vintagey Golds myself, but they have others.